Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Quarter Finals

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Am i correct in saying Barca are the last team to win at Shakhtar in the CL and likewise Shakhtar in the Camp Nou?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Am i correct in saying Barca are the last team to win at Shakhtar in the CL and likewise Shakhtar in the Camp Nou?

Possibly, I thought I'd seen somewhere that they'd beaten Barca twice.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

People go on about Chelsea V Utd being a tight game with maybe only one or two goals. Anything can happen, pool V chelsea was always a tight game in CL and then there were goals galore in the last game at SB - I do think Chelsea are hitting a bit of form and have more or less a full squad to pick from. Utd are top of the lge but lets face it they are not playing well and have injuries galore. Chelsea to go through, Real should take spurs to the cleaners in the first leg - second leg should be a non event. Inter should have enough to pull through and Barca will need the second leg to get to the semis. Barca to male it to the final and be beaten by chelsea - torres with the winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Didn't Rubin Kazan win 2-1 at the Camp Nou last season?

I'd say your right apart from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I think chelsea will fancy their chances, should be a great tie.

Didn't Rubin Kazan win 2-1 at the Camp Nou last season?

I'd say your right apart from that.

You're right. I thought Rubin won at home and drew at the Camp Nou but now that i think of it, you're right.

K-9 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I remember that argument going well for Chelsea in 05 and 07.

Well to be fair, Liverpool fans obviously were not claiming they would be comfortable victorys at the time, which they wern't.

I was responding to the notion that it would be a walkover fo Chelsea, which is utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Well to be fair, Liverpool fans obviously were not claiming they would be comfortable victorys at the time, which they wern't.

I was responding to the notion that it would be a walkover fo Chelsea, which is utter rubbish.

I don't think anyone is under the impression it's gonna be a walkover for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah right, league position means nothing in these things. Chelsea seem to have corrected the slump anyway, whatever the reason was.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I don't think Real will hammer Spurs...(runs!)
    I think there will be a spread of goals over the 2 games.
    It will probably end 7-6 on agg or something daft. Defoe all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

The thing about this match is that both teams will fancy their chances, and both are probably pleased that it wasnt Barca or Real Madrid.
    I think Spurs would have been tough to call for both teams as well

Anyway, its this type of match that makes watching footy so great and why everyone wants to play in the CL!

The thing about this match is that both teams will fancy their chances, and both are probably pleased that it wasnt Barca or Real Madrid.
    I think Spurs would have been tough to call for both teams as well

Anyway, its this type of match that makes watching footy so great and why everyone wants to play in the CL!

I'm currently preparing myself for the most nerve racking 180 mins of my entire life:(

Massively looking forward to it though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

real will score 3 or 4 in the home leg, I don't see how they'll stop them.

I don't like Real but i hope they destroy Spurs. It's a better tournament with Real as real contenders.

mink_man wrote: »
    real will score 3 or 4 in the home leg, I don't see how they'll stop them.

Cos Spurs will just attack, attack as well and RM defence isnt the best.
    I'd say Spurs have the better defence actually, and Bale will just love running at Carvallo etc. Bale, Modric and VDV are the key players for Spurs, if fully fit, it could be tighter than you think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

spurs attack? lol theyve rly been living off those inter games havent they lol id say theyll leave their own half mayb 10 times over 2 legs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I don't like Real but i hope they destroy Spurs. It's a better tournament with Real as real contenders.
    It would have been interesting to get Berba's 'opinions' on the match - probably better off though:D

partyndbs wrote: »
    spurs attack? lol theyve rly been living off those inter games havent they lol id say theyll leave their own half mayb 10 times over 2 legs

The stats dont really back that up, the home game to AC was the only one where they sat back and defended.
    Away to AC they had 9 shots to AC's 12 and 44% possession and AC's goalie had to make more saves

I'm no fan of the spuds but I just dont think they will be the push over everyone expects. Mourinho doesnt have RM playing as he wants, and its certainly not the defence he would want, good forward line yes, but the defenders are the weak link, surprising for a Mourinho team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Madrid will destroy Spurs I reckon, their defence is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Apart from the 5-0 loss to Barca, which was probably one of the most amazing team displays by a team, they've been great all season. I can also see them doing Barca over two legs in the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

What I'm most interested to see is how we get on at Stamford Bridge with a fair referee ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why are Inter being counted out? If they can win 3-2 in Munich they can win at either Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford IMO. They are always tough at home and will have Diego Milito back if they make it to the semi's.

If Bayern got through people would be saying "United/Chelsea would have wanted to avoid them".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The idea that Spurs will be able to contain Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria, Alonso, Adebayor/Benzema and perhaps Kaka for 2 legs just doesn't sit with me tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I agree. Milan had Robinho, Ibra and Pato up forward. Pato isn't very clinical in Europe yet and Ibra isn't too. That forward line wasn't going to terrorise anyone.

Ronald/Ozil/Di Mario/Benzema is on another different level. Ozil has especially been a revealation. We all knew he was good after WC2010, but his amount of assists is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I wouldn't mind seeing Ramos and Marcelo trying to contain Bale and Lennon either.

Advertisement