Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Digital TV...

• 16-03-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

I heard last night on the news that the Digital TV is going live pretty soon.. So just for the laugh I did a scan of the channels on my Hauppauge HVR 1100 and here's what it came up with... (1-4 are the standard analog channels)..

digitaltvchannels.jpg

Now these channels didnt show up about six months ago... but are being recognised now... Are they just holding places for when the channels are put to air in digital?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

have a look on the terrestrial forum. Those channels were broadcasting 6 months ago (possibly not in you area) and they or a very similar set will be there in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Mods, could you move this to terrestrial for me.. It's probably more Digital TV-ish than computer-ish..

tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I heard last night on the news that the Digital TV is going live pretty soon.. So just for the laugh I did a scan of the channels on my Hauppauge HVR 1100 and here's what it came up with... (1-4 are the standard analog channels)..

Now these channels didnt show up about six months ago... but are being recognised now... Are they just holding places for when the channels are put to air in digital?

Further channels starting soon.... well maybe.

hold on .. theres sound on the channels now but no picture... hmm.. maybe it is more computery.... Might update my WinTV7 software..

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

hold on .. theres sound on the channels now but no picture... hmm.. maybe it is more computery.... Might update my WinTV7 software..

sound, no picture means you are using mpeg2, not mpeg4. Possibly the Hauppauge HVR 1100 is mpeg2 only?

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    sound, no picture means you are using mpeg2, not mpeg4. Possibly the Hauppauge HVR 1100 is mpeg2 only?

oh god I hope not.. It auto converts the recording to MPEG 2.. no mention of MPEG 4 as an option anywhere.. I'll check it up but I think you might be right.. :( On 3e, I can hear Jeremy Kyle but alas I cant see the chavs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

oh god I hope not.. It auto converts the recording to MPEG 2.. no mention of MPEG 4 as an option anywhere.. I'll check it up but I think you might be right.. :(

PCTV cards don't care about the broadcasting standard MPEG2 or MPEG4 ... they just pick up the signal and the signal is decoded by software (codecs). You need to install MPeg4 codec on your PC like Core AVC(payware) or the freeware FFdshow tryouts

RTE2 is in HD so your PC cpu will need to be at least a dual core.

You won't need to replace the card, the worst case scenario is that you'll need new software such as DVBViewer. Windows 7's Media Center works out of the box too, with full MPEG-4/MHEG-5 support.

You'll need a MPEG-4 codec to start, you can get a free one by installing a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD, the codec will keep working even after the program expires. Or you could use something like CoreAVC, but this is payware.

While ffdshow does have a MPEG-4 codec, I've never seen it work correctly on DTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Karsini wrote: »
    You'll need a MPEG-4 codec to start, you can get a free one by installing a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDVD, the codec will keep working even after the program expires.

Google HDpack 2.4 it has a number of Mpeg4 codecs including powerdvd and it's a smaller download.

tbh lads I thought I would have had ALL necessary codecs, as I put a load on originally to watch AVIs, MPEGs etc etc.. So I loaded up DivX and the HDPack 2.6 (it's been updated again jo :D )... rebooted, and opened up WinTV... Still not seeing any chavs on Jeremy Kyle....

However, I upgraded the WinTV to the latest edition.. and guess what ... I can see the chavs... in digital ..The quality is amazing..

thanks for the suggestions .. so happy I dont have to upgrade the card.. I originally paid a bit more for the hybrid card cos I was anticipating the changeover..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Excuse me if I don't agree or comply with this MASSIVE CON JOB,
    I bought a HD Lcd Samsung tv two and a half years ago on the assumption that
    I'd be getting a Hi-definition tv signal, now two and a half years later,
    the customer is expected to cover the cost of this after paying 500 euro on a tv
    -I'm expected to supplement the ineptitude and sluggish response of Samsung the retailer
    that sold it to me and the Irish government for not having a digital system put in place and
    already have developed a built in digital signal reciever?
    It's a disgrace!

Why are people rolling over and accepting this con?

I for one will be cancelling my cable and possibly my tv license if
    I can't recieve a signal and am expected to fork out 100 euro more!

Absolutely Disgraceful!!

I bought a HD Lcd Samsung tv two and a half years ago on the assumption that I'd be getting a Hi-definition tv signal,

I dont think I would ever believe any guarantee where the state is involved.. I mean the reason I got the Hybrid was because I assumed it would take them AGES longer than they had scheduled to get it up and running...

Digital gives me 3e, RTE News as well, and all the digital radio channels... And my TV guide (in WinTV) now works as well.... And even better, the Liverpool game is on 3e tomorrow night.... Thank you Liverpool for not being good enough to qualify for the champions league.. :D

It's not being done to con people, much of Europe are using MPEG-4 too. The UK were early adopters of digital and are using what is now considered an outdated system. If anything it was the retailer that conned you if it was sold as a digital TV, many retailers are dumping UK stock on unsuspecting Irish customers, hoping they'll just use it for UPC/Sky instead.

RTÉ are using a better system than the UK, it allows us to support HD from the outset without needing to have separate SD and HD feeds of the same channel. Very few, if any, countries are using HD on MPEG-2 as it uses too much bandwidth. So if we were to adopt MPEG-2 for SD we'd also have to use MPEG-4 for HD which is a waste of multiplex space and electricity (needed for transmitting the services).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Excuse me if I don't agree or comply with this MASSIVE CON JOB,
    I bought a HD Lcd Samsung tv two and a half years ago on the assumption that
    I'd be getting a Hi-definition tv signal, now two and a half years later,
    the customer is expected to cover the cost of this after paying 500 euro on a tv
    -I'm expected to supplement the ineptitude and sluggish response of Samsung the retailer
    that sold it to me and the Irish government for not having a digital system put in place and
    already have developed a built in digital signal reciever?
    It's a disgrace!

Why are people rolling over and accepting this con?

I for one will be cancelling my cable and possibly my tv license if
    I can't recieve a signal and am expected to fork out 100 euro more!

Absolutely Disgraceful!!

It was known well over two and a half years ago that the Irish system would be mpeg4. A little bit of homework at the time would have saved you all this bold type now.
    Here's an article pre-dating your purchase.
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/11001/new-media/tvs-may-not-be-digital-ready

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

the last time rte was running digital trials in mount leinster i had to use avc mp4 codec to get a picture using my hauppauge 1300mce card.

i got 7 channels including the HD test channel

i got 7 channels including the HD test channel

I have a channel listed as Temporary on Frequency 666MHz SID:1107 .. is this in HD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I have a channel listed as Temporary on Frequency 666MHz SID:1107 .. is this in HD?

No, this is actually a really low quality SD stream of RTE2.

The real RTE2 is currently broadcasting in HD, although the content is only SD upscaled at the moment.

The purpose of the Temporary channel is to allow users with receivers which do not do HD (picnic box for example) to view RTE2. The Temporary channel will be switched off soon enough, and those people will have to buy proper equipment :D

Advertisement