Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rehang coving on ceiling

• 16-03-2011 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

Noticed last night that the coving in one of my rooms is starting to come down. how would i go about fixing it, havent a clue coz it was there when i moved in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Difficult to say without looking at it,

Can you post some pics.

Depending on how bad it is, it may be able to be re-stuck in situ, or it may need to come down.

If its starting to come away now, then it could have been a piss poor job putting it in in the first place and it could be the start of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Difficult to say without looking at it,

Can you post some pics.

Depending on how bad it is, it may be able to be re-stuck in situ, or it may need to come down.

If its starting to come away now, then it could have been a piss poor job putting it in in the first place and it could be the start of things to come.

Never seen a proper cove job to start falling off unless it was slapped up and if it is then as above the whole thing is suspect.

You could try to run/pump some caulk into the crack where it has left the wall and fix it temp with panel pins top and bottom. Take out the pins when caulk is dry and run a bit of painters mate along the join to finish and paint over.

Last coving job i did, I used jointing compound to stick it. Set like concrete. Great job. Wonder what this one was stuck up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Last coving job i did, I used jointing compound to stick it. Set like concrete. Great job. Wonder what this one was stuck up with.

That's the gear alright preverbial to a blanket :)

Antiquo wrote: »
    preverbial to a blanket

The who's who with the what now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Antiquo wrote: »
    That's the gear alright preverbial to a blanket :)
    The who's who with the what now?

Sticks like sh1t to a blanket ? ;)

oleras wrote: »
    Sticks like sh1t to a blanket ? ;)

Gotcha! Shouldn't have been drinking so much yesterday. Brain is a little slow today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

chances are knowing the builder in my plase he used water and flour to create apaste to hold it up.

its only starting to come down just above a door . i'm away for the weekend i'll post some pics monday morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Jointing compound all the way baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just thinking out loud here, but for the OP here as not familiar plaster/ coving etc, would a tub of tec7 be a lot handier. Now I have never used it for coving, but im sure it would work. Just thinking of the mess it would save the Op, wouldn't need dust sheets etc, just get the nozzle in behind the loose bits. Opinions?

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here, but for the OP here as not familiar plaster/ coving etc, would a tub of tec7 be a lot handier. Now I have never used it for coving, but im sure it would work. Just thinking of the mess it would save the Op, wouldn't need dust sheets etc, just get the nozzle in behind the loose bits. Opinions?

I think the adhesion time would be too slow. I can set up a full 3 meter length of coving with joint compound and it'll stick and set into the wall fairly rapidly. If you use tec 7, it'll probably need some sort of mechanical fixing temporarily to keep the gaps closed until it sets. I think it'll allow it to sag before it sets. just mho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I think the adhesion time would be too slow. I can set up a full 3 meter length of coving with joint compound and it'll stick and set into the wall fairly rapidly. If you use tec 7, it'll probably need some sort of mechanical fixing temporarily to keep the gaps closed until it sets. I think it'll allow it to sag before it sets. just mho.

Tech 7 takes a fair few hours to gain good adhesion and grip.

Jointing compound is great for coving,as all of us have said so far.:)

Advertisement