Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid VS Lyon Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

CorkMan wrote: »
    Ye must have been foaming at the mouth for the past 6 seasons. I wonder how Chelsea are doing, will check the result so far there.

Not really, I'm not that bothered by them.

If Madrid won, it wouldn't ruin my evening or anything. But if I'm watching a match of theirs, I'd tend to root against them.

It's the Ronaldo thing really. I don't hate him, I would just prefer he didn't do better at Madrid than at Utd;) Nothing against Madrid as a club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

#15 wrote: »
    Not really, I'm not that bothered by them.

If Madrid won, it wouldn't ruin my evening or anything. But if I'm watching a match of theirs, I'd tend to root against them.

It's the Ronaldo thing really. I don't hate him, I would just prefer he didn't do better at Madrid than at Utd;) Nothing against Madrid as a club.

Regardless, he is a min. 35 goal a season man and sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

mike65 wrote: »
    Fair play to RTE showing this rather than replicating ITV and the plastics coverage. Real are so quick on the break.

Argh! Didn't know they were covering this match until now, High Definition and everything! Goodbye patchy stream :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nice finish from Benzema there.

He shouldnt celebrate at all bit at least it wasnt like his new teammate's against arsenal that time. EDIT: so slow to,type they have almost scored twice in the meantime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Going to run amok now i reckon.

Lyon lucky they hve Lloris

He shouldnt celebrate at all bit at least it wasnt like his new teammate's against arsenal that time. EDIT: so slow to,type they have almost scored twice in the meantime

Ah, the celebration was fairly tame in fairness.

Lol just before Ozil took that ****e long range shot, I thought " I never see him score a goal that isnt a tap in"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Di Maria has been a superb signing. Cracking player, brilliant finish.

• Advertisement

GOoooooool! Painfully slow posting on my,phone. Real Madrid aren't playing great, Schalke will beat them. Their defence is shaky, as it has been forever! Ronaldo aint a big game player. Barca are proving themselves to be fragile recently, so the CL is wide open. Whoever can turn up on a match day will win the game. Reputations and status are nothing this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

God Gourcuff has regressed horribly in the last 12-18 months.

No Chelsea match thread. Good fans haha !

GOoooooool! Painfully slow posting on my,phone. Real Madrid aren't playing great, Schalke will beat them. Their defence is shaky, as it has been forever! Ronaldo aint a big game player. Barca are proving themselves to be fragile recently, so the CL is wide open. Whoever can turn up on a match day will win the game. Reputations and status are nothing this season.

Real Madrid defence is shaky
    Ronaldo not a big game player
    Whoever turns up will win
    Reputations count for nothing

You would make a perfect Sky pundit. Spouting horrible clichés as well as untruths. Madrid have only conceded 27 goals in 44 games this season, including 25 clean sheets. As for Ronaldo not a big game player, it's been done to death. Suffice to say, it's wrong.

But hey, let's not allow the truth to get in your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Tom_Brady wrote: »

You would make a perfect Sky pundit. Spouting horrible clichés as well as untruths. Madrid have only conceded 27 goals in 44 games this season, including 25 clean sheets. As for Ronaldo not a big game player, it's been done to death. Suffice to say, it's wrong.

I would say that is more RTE than Sky

Pauleta wrote: »
    I would say that is more RTE than Sky

Perhaps the first 2 are more RTE than Sky, you do have a point! When I hear a cliché, true or not, I always imagine that somewhere in the world, Jamie Redknapp is smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I was going to post more or less a similar post. It really did contain some 100% copyright sky terminologies.

Oh, but if we assess the last 9 games performances they have struggled to kill off,the opposition, the very amateur Liga BBVA opposition. They slack when they lead

Oh, but if we assess the last 9 games performances they have struggled to kill off,the opposition, the very amateur Liga BBVA opposition. They slack when they lead

lol.

That is a completely different point you are putting forward now.
    Back up your previous ones before you start new ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The boys on RTE are coming out with some beauts tonight.
    Dunphy "Real Madrid have no chance of winning the Champions League"
    "Chelsea would walk all over them":rolleyes:
    Giles: "Mourinho had a huge job coming to Madrid,they had no team at all" !
    Pellegrini and his team of amateurs last season .:rolleyes:
    Boys have been smoking something .
    Dunphy also said Madrid finished on 84 points last season in the league and Mourinho wouldnt get anywhere near that.
    It was actually 96 points and Real can only match that if they only drop 4 more points .
    Bar Barcelona ,Madrid are the best team left in the competition.

Giles: Mourinho arrived at the club and they had no team.

Despite getting 96 points in La Liga, their highest in history and having Kaká, C.Ronaldo, Alonso, Casillas etc.

Dunphy: Real got 84 points last year, and Mourinho is not going to get close to that this year.

96 points is what Real got last year, so get that right first. Plus they have 70 points now with 10 games left. They played 14 at home in the league winning 14, scoring 46 goals. Away they got a possible 28 points out of an available 42. Going by getting fully points at home and 2/3 away they will get 20 more points, which equals 90.

The things these lads come up with. At least Liam knows his Serie A well.

• Advertisement

If we assess the last 9 games, I see 7 wins and 2 draws (one of which was the first leg, so inconsequential). I also see 22 goals scored and only 4 conceded. Struggling to kill off games in their last 9 fixtures? I assume that's not including the 7-0 win over Malaga a couple of weeks ago, the 4-1 win over Sociedad or the 3-1 win over Racing.

Lad, you're at nothing here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The boys on RTE are coming out with some beauts tonight.

Giles: "Mourinho had a huge job coming to Madrid,they had no team at all" !
    Pellegrini and his team of amateurs last season .:rolleyes:
    did he really say that :eek: wow that's worse than anything they've ever said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Finally, the headcase comment regarding Ramos has surfaced.

"I don't see any difference in Benzema"

© The Senior Analyst.

Haha 'we showed Ronaldo never ran back once', he should be a DM you're right there Giles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Somebody better keep that post-match segment 'warm' for use here come May - just have that feeling!

Perhaps the first 2 are more RTE than Sky, you do have a point! When I hear a cliché, true or not, I always imagine that somewhere in the world, Jamie Redknapp is smiling.

'Literally' smiling?

'Literally' smiling?

Literally smiling the most top, top smile you've ever seen!

Didnt watch RTE as they come out with this ****.

But Real are not very good at the back Lyon should have scored tonight but for some woeful finishing.

Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Inter Milan
    Man Utd
    Real Madrid
    Schalke
    Shakhtar
    Tottenham

I would see a Man Utd/Barca final if they are kept apart otherwise its a Barca/someone final. Actually really hard to call if United get beaten, they are not playing great but are very hard to beat.

Interesting anyway, watched bits of Chelsea match and they werent great and havent been all season.

Can't believe we pay these guys wages.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Didnt watch RTE as they come out with this ****.

But Real are not very good at the back Lyon should have scored tonight but for some woeful finishing.

Barcelona
    Chelsea
    Inter Milan
    Man Utd
    Real Madrid
    Schalke
    Shakhtar
    Tottenham

I would see a Man Utd/Barca final if they are kept apart otherwise its a Barca/someone final. Actually really hard to call if United get beaten, they are not playing great but are very hard to beat.

Interesting anyway, watched bits of Chelsea match and they werent great and havent been all season.

Chelsea ahead of United?

Spurs behind Schalke and Shakhtar?

Certainly wouldn't agree.

Chelsea ahead of United?

Umm thats just the way i copied and pasted the last 8 from BBC :pac: Its in alpahbetical order :D

Umm thats just the way i copied and pasted it from BBC :pac: Its in alpahbetical order :D

Apologies. Thought it was a ranking thing you were doing.

Chelsea ahead of United?

Spurs have the least European experience and should have been KOed by Milan. I'd agree with that much tbh...

I think people are giving Barca far too much credit.

TBH, Barcas season hinges on the prognosis from Abidals operation. If that is bad I can see it affecting Barcas form, not from a talent point of view, but from a mental point of view.

Literally smiling the most top, top smile you've ever seen!

I think he'd be more inclined to omit the "e" tbh.

Lit'rally.

gimmick wrote: »

TBH, Barcas season hinges on the prognosis from Abidals operation. If that is bad I can see it affecting Barcas form, not from a talent point of view, but from a mental point of view.

Would say best of a bad lot but thats a bit of a disservice to some of the newcomers.

They're miles ahead of anyone else in the competition in all fairness. A lot of people have Real as second favourites, yet Barca raped them a few months ago and are comfortable ahead of them in the Primera Liga. The English teams have come back quite a lot in the past few years as well, I certainly would be terrified of them playing United over two legs.

It would be a monumental shock if anyone other than Barca won the thing. As you say, it would take something off-pitch like Abidal being extremely ill or something to knock them of cpourse, because on the pitch there's no one can do them over two legs. Best chance is in the final if Barca have a massive off night or get a load of injuries or suspensions.

Though I understand why you're saying what you're saying as a fan.;)

Liam O wrote: »
    Spurs have the least European experience and should have been KOed by Milan. I'd agree with that much tbh...

Given the way they play, Spurs have no fear of their opposition (domestic or abroad). That has been their trump card under Redknapp.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    They're miles ahead of anyone else in the competition in all fairness. A lot of people have Real as second favourites, yet Barca raped them a few months ago and are comfortable ahead of them in the Primera Liga. The English teams have come back quite a lot in the past few years as well, I certainly would be terrified of them playing United over two legs.

It would be a monumental shock if anyone other than Barca won the thing. As you say, it would take something off-pitch like Abidal being extremely ill or something to knock them of cpourse, because on the pitch there's no one can do them over two legs. Best chance is in the final if Barca have a massive off night or get a load of injuries or suspensions.

Though I understand why you're saying what you're saying as a fan.;)

But what about their form in the last couple of months. They drew against Seville and Gijon, lost to Betis and Arsenal. Plus in their last 3 La Liga games they have only scored a goal a game, well below their average.

I disagree, Inter did it last season and made it look easy. That style of play is needed whether anyone else in the compo has players good enough to take every chance they get is another thing.

But Barca are beatable and in every game they play they concede more than enough chances for the other team to win outright, only Inter in recent times have had the players to take those chances.

I disagree, Inter did it last season and made it look easy. That style of play is needed whether anyone else in the compo has players good enough to take every chance they get is another thing.

Inter had a blatant offside to make it 2-1 at the San Siro, and Bojan had a legit winner chalked off at the Camp Nou. Inter were the ones who rode their luck there. Sure, it was karma for Stamford bridge 12 months earlier, but still!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd fancy Chelsea to knock Barcelona out.

CorkMan wrote: »
    But what about their form in the last couple of months. They drew against Seville and Gijon, lost to Betis and Arsenal. Plus in their last 3 La Liga games they have only scored a goal a game, well below their average.

You're basically pointing out the only games in 2011 they've failed to win in fairness. They've been getting the job done in La Liga, just like they did vs Arsenal.

But Barca are beatable and in every game they play they concede more than enough chances for the other team to win outright, only Inter in recent times have had the players to take those chances.

Inter pulled it of, but they certainly didn't make it look easy. If I remember rightly Bojan missed an absolute sitter at the death that would've put Barca through, as well as apenalty claim thatw as turned down. Inter performed brilliantly, but they just about managed to pull if off - it was far from easy.

I look at the list of remaining teams and I see none that are capable of producing such a defensive display over 180+ minutes this season. Barca are better than they were, and the likes of Chelsea/Utd have regressed if anything. Madrid now have Jose alright, but I reckon he'll need another Summer before he truly puts his stanmp on this Madrid team. The 5-0 at Camp Nou sugests he has a massive job on his hands to bridge the gap.

Inter had a blatant offside to make it 2-1 at the San Siro, and Bojan had a legit winner chalked off at the Camp Nou. Inter were the ones who rode their luck there. Sure, it was karma for Stamford bridge 12 months earlier, but still!

But still Inter took their chances, your a barca fan you watch them every week have 70% of the ball and score 4 and still think jesus if <insert team here> scored their chances it would be 5-4.

Looking at the 8 above i dont see many teams having the strikers to take those chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Very nice gesture from the players in support of Abidal i thought.

Inter pulled it of, but they certainly didn't make it look easy. If I remember rightly Bojan missed an absolute sitter at the death that would've put Barca through, as well as apenalty claim thatw as turned down. Inter performed brilliantly, but they just about managed to pull if off - it was far from easy.

I look at the list of remaining teams and I see none that are capable of producing such a defensive display over 180+ minutes this season. Barca are better than they were, and the likes of Chelsea/Utd have regressed if anything. Madrid now have Jose alright, but I reckon he'll need another Summer before he truly puts his stanmp on this Madrid team. The 5-0 at Camp Nou sugests he has a massive job on his hands to bridge the gap.

Their defending in that game was sublime a trait missed by most these days, they denied barca the space bus as i said above they took their chances.

I think barca are beatable and over 2 legs, have to take your chances tho.

Their defending in that game was sublime a trait missed by most these days, they denied barca the space bus as i said above they took their chances.

I think barca are beatable and over 2 legs, have to take your chances tho.

I agree with you that it was sublime. But my point is that even defending that brilliantly, Barca (a team that wasn't as good as it is this year with Villa instead of Ibra up top and Messi even better) came within a whisker of pulling it off. They are so good that even the greatest defensive display in living memory only barely got the job done.

Of course they are beatable and there are no certainties in football, but looking at the seven teams left in the competition, I'd be absolutely stunned if any of them managed to stop Barca.

I agree with you that it was sublime. But my point is that even defending that brilliantly, Barca (a team that wasn't as good as it is this year with Villa instead of Ibra up top and Messi even better) came within a whisker of pulling it off. They are so good that even the greatest defensive display in living memory only barely got the job done.

Of course they are beatable and there are no certainties in football, but looking at the seven teams left in the competition, I'd be absolutely stunned if any of them managed to stop Barca.

Why do you say 'stunned' though?

Leaving out Schalke and Shakhtar, I wouldn't call it a serious gulf between the other five and Barca - not that I deny either that Barca are a great side.

With the right tactics - and dare I say some cynical play - the other teams can do it!

I agree only United with Fletcher Park and Scholes in the middle seem capable (imo Fletcher was the biggest miss last time).

It will take some effort but they are beatable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement