Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Real Madrid VS Lyon Part 2

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do you say 'stunned' though?

Leaving out Schalke and Shakhtar, I wouldn't call it a serious gulf between the other five and Barca - not that I deny either that Barca are a great side.

With the right tactics - and dare I say some cynical play - the other teams can do it!

Because I think they're streets ahead of the rest, for reasons I've outlined already. They absolutely shamed most people's second favourites only a couple of months ago. Now thats only a one off game, but look at their goalscoring in general over this season, look at how well they keep the ball, look at how few goals they concede even - as I said they're overwhelming favourites in my view.

And I'm no Barca fanboy btw, I don't particularly like them at all. But I'm also a realist and somtimes you just have to admit a team is better than everyone else by quite some distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

only way barca are gonna be done is in a one off game i.e. the final. They wont be beaten in 2 legged game this season, avoid em at all costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I think a Chelsea with a solid back-line and an on-form Torres could beat Barca. Remember they only got past Chelsea in 08/09 by Iniesta scoring a goal at the death in London.

About Messi being better, you could make a similar argument that Xavi is on the decline as he is 31, or Puyol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

flahavaj wrote: »
    Because I think they're streets ahead of the rest, for reasons I've outlined already. They absolutely shamed most people's second favourites only a couple of months ago. Now thats only a one off game, but look at their goalscoring in general over this season, look at how well they keep the ball, look at how few goals they concede even - as I said they're overwhelming favourites in my view.

And I'm no Barca fanboy btw, I don't particularly like them at all. But I'm also a realist and somtimes you just have to admit a team is better than everyone else by quite some distance.

Not denying that their strengths, but we've seen the Inter effect - where if you control the game early - they 'can' be stopped.

Chelsea and Real might be the best two equipped of those left to use this strategy.

CorkMan wrote: »
    I think a Chelsea with a solid back-line and an on-form Torres could beat Barca. Remember they only got past Chelsea in 08/09 by Iniesta scoring a goal at the death in London.

About Messi being better, you could make a similar argument that Xavi is on the decline as he is 31, or Puyol.

But there;s no evidence that Xavi or Puyol are in decline and their performance levels have stayed the same. Messi's on the other hand have gotten better, as his improved stats will indicate.

Nonetheless the point remains that Barca are a better team this season than last.

There's not much point talking hypothetically about an on-form Torres either, when in reality he's anything but. I would contend the chelsea team of 08/09 was a far more daunting prospect than the team of this season that seem to have slipped back so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

BERBA wrote: »
    only way barca are gonna be done is in a one off game i.e. the final. They wont be beaten in 2 legged game this season, avoid em at all costs

Funnily enough, I think the opposite. I think in a one off game, nobody will do Barca. Over 2 legs I reckon Manyoo can do it.

Why are people giving Chelsea a hope. They have been utter shíte since November and have shown little signs of improvement, yet all of a sudden they are CL winners elect?

gimmick wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I think the opposite. I think in a one off game, nobody will do Barca. Over 2 legs I reckon Manyoo can do it.

Why are people giving Chelsea a hope. They have been utter shíte since November and have shown little signs of improvement, yet all of a sudden they are CL winners elect?

That United midfield hasn't a prayer against Barca over any amount of legs, much as it pains me to say it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree cant see Chelsea getting far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Have looked significantly better since 2011. They had to be.

Would be foolish to write off a lesser version of Liverpool 2004/05 happening I think. Ancelotti knows how to win European trophies.

It's because they always turn it on in Europe. They have always made it to the quarter finals (bar one season back in 2006 where they met Ronaldinho's Barca very early) and have made the semi's at least 50%-60% of the time they enter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Barca definitely beatable lads.

For all their domination/possession/chances v Arsenal, they would have been out on their ear if Bendther wasn't so ****. Fact.

And the scary thing about that from Barca's point of view is that Arsenal were probably the worst equipped team in the competition to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye but u could say if barca cud actually finish they cudda been 8 goals up by then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

partyndbs wrote: »
    ye but u could say if barca cud actually finish they cudda been 8 goals up by then....

Irrelevant to my point.

Fact remains they were out if Bendther scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Funnily enough, I think the opposite. I think in a one off game, nobody will do Barca.

I agree with that, I think a two-leg tie is the only way that Barca can be beaten.
    Barca's away form in the CL is not incredible; I believe it's possible (possible, not likely) to get a result at home to Barca and then get a 0-0 or a narrow defeat at the Nou Camp.

I think a one-off game would be impossible.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    That United midfield hasn't a prayer against Barca over any amount of legs, much as it pains me to say it.:(

While Barca would be overwhelming favourites against Utd, I think Utd would have a (slim) chance of getting through the tie.

I think Utd would simply cede the midfield battle and play very deep, only attacking on the break.

I think an extremely negative and defensive performance would be on the cards in the Nou Camp. Deliberately too.

I think Utd have the strongest defensive block in the CL and if the defence was fully fit, they'd be in with a shout.

We'd be looking a performance reminiscent of Chelsea in 09 and Utd in 08.

I think SAF has learned from the 2009 final. I can't see Utd ever trying to press Barca that high up the pitch again. As soon as Iniesta broke the press in midfield, it led to a goal.

I can see why Utd set up to press as high as they did - the genesis of Barca's possession starts at the back - but in hindsight, it was the wrong option and I think Utd would revert to relying on their strength (ie defence) in future games.

Not sure how coherent that is, only intended to write a line or two:cool:

edited to add: All that said, I'd give Barca an 80% chance of getting through against Utd. If things weren't going well for Utd, it could get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

If we had a proper CM we'd have a very good chance :(

It really is incredible how the RTE Panel get the facts wrong. Dunphy saying Madrid got 84 points last year, then Giles saying Real wasn't a team when Mourinho took over when they got 96 points in the league the previous season. "Pellegrini? Pellegrino who?".

I taught afterwards, Dunphy is supposed to be the residential Spanish expert on RTE, if he can't get the proper points total there is no way in hell, earth, wind, brimstone and fire Giles could get the proper points total. How the hell is Giles "The Senior Anaylst", sorry if i'm getting a bit Frank Grimes from the Simpsons. It is impossible for Giles to say if Real Madrid had a good team or not.

Giles then saying Benzema hasn't changed much, but he has scored 9 goals in his last 7 games. That is his total goal-scoring total of last season. He really is pulling total fabrications out of the air, pulling a randomner in the vain hope he will hit bullseye and appear spot on.

Instead of hitting the bullseyes he hit the barman 20 feet away in the bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Irrelevant to my point.

Fact remains they were out if Bendther scores.

And if my aunt. . . . . . . .

Barca didnt take their chances. Arsenal didnt take their chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    If we assess the last 9 games, I see 7 wins and 2 draws (one of which was the first leg, so inconsequential). I also see 22 goals scored and only 4 conceded. Struggling to kill off games in their last 9 fixtures? I assume that's not including the 7-0 win over Malaga a couple of weeks ago, the 4-1 win over Sociedad or the 3-1 win over Racing.

Lad, you're at nothing here.
    And that would mean they scored 8 goals in the other 6 games. Ronaldo is not scoring many these days, therefore Real are not scoring. You only have to watch them to see they are not sparkling like they were earlier in the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

BERBA wrote: »

Couldn't be more wrong. Barca thrive in one off games, it's over two legs where they have trouble as Guardiola plays for the draw in away legs. In a one off game Barca play at their most ruthless, look at how they played against United in the CL, or an El Clasico in comparison to their K.O two legged ties, huge difference.

Sevilla in the supercup is another example. They didn't play with the same intensity at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan because they knew there was a home tie to come, similarly against Inter, both ties Barca lost the away leg, which is too risky, regardless of how good you think you are at home.

Ferguson/ Ancelloti/ Mourinho are much more capable of implementing tactics to beat Barcelona over a two legged tie, in a one off game I think Barca turn into a whole different animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement