Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passed my test :-D

• 16-03-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

So I had my test today in Tallahgt and I got it! Well Happy with myself now. I got a pretest with Aaron Rider Training. Had 3 hours a week before the test were he went over everything I needed to do and the stuff I needed to practice. Came back a week later to get another few lessons in before the test and my nerves must have been really getting to me because I was doing a good few things wrong. So before I went in he told me what I was doing and exactly what I needed to do which was basically never shut up talking to myself through the drills. Was real nervous going into it and messed up a few of the easy theory questions getting tongue tied :rolleyes:. When I got on the road I done exactly what Aaron told me to and just kept talking myself through every single junction turn and avoidance. Few parts were a bit ropey but I did what he said and forgot about any little mistakes I thought I was making.

So kudos to Aaron Rider Training. I highy recommend them. I've had them before when I got my bike for beginners lessons and it's well worth every penny.

So I'm off to Oz for at least a year in a month so when I come back that'll be a big chunk of my restriction gone :).

Here's Aaron Rider Training's phone number if you got your test coming up give him a shout! Ph. <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Well done - its nice to see that people are still doing the test despite all the obstacles thrown into your path. Running a commentary is great advice - its part of the RoSPA training and it is a brilliant way of keeping alert. Keep the habit up and get a lesson before heading out for the first time when you return if you think it would help.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Actually I need to do my test this summer - have not really looked into it - what do they do exactly as in do they tell you a route and then follow behind you to assess you? (prob silly question)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Well done lad,don't forget that the tarmac is still as hard as ever...Congrat's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Actually I need to do my test this summer - have not really looked into it - what do they do exactly as in do they tell you a route and then follow behind you to assess you? (prob silly question)
    They'll follow behind in a car. You'll be hooked up with an earpiece to hear the instructions/directions. Not a silly question at all, I get asked it a lot when people see I've the full licence.

Congrats OP. Its a great feeling, also means you can ride a bike when you're away if needs be. Enjoy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Good man, just don't forget to send off for the pinky before you head for Oz, that'd be a sickener :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Congrats. Let the countdown begin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Congrats on passing the test. I passed my test last week and the key message is to get pre-test lessons as the main points the instructors pick up will ensure that you will pass unless you totally screw up on the day. Pre-test lessons are a good investment, not only for your safety and others but also for your insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Congrats OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

congrats blacktie! lucky you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Thanks everyone. Gotta sort out the license now :-). Wonder if they open on weekends?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Blacktie. wrote: »
    So kudos to Aaron Rider Training. I highy recommend them. I've had them before when I got my bike for beginners lessons and it's well worth every penny.
    <snip>

Got lessons with them before and thought they were cr*p but well done on passing the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

well done. Quick question (as I'm doing my test next week) - I did a test about a month ago that was abandoned half way through due to high winds, anyway before being abandoned the guy in the car kept getting me to pull in so he could catch up. Did that happen to you ? and if so whats the correct procedure when stopped and waiting - leave the left indicator on, turn it off? or hold the break

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

well done bud, safe riding out there!

reece wrote: »
    well done. Quick question (as I'm doing my test next week) - I did a test about a month ago that was abandoned half way through due to high winds, anyway before being abandoned the guy in the car kept getting me to pull in so he could catch up. Did that happen to you ? and if so whats the correct procedure when stopped and waiting - leave the left indicator on, turn it off? or hold the break

Yeah he got me to stop a good few times. It was usually to do something like U-turn, drive slow and the quick breaking procedure but few times he did just have to catch up with me after a junction. When stopped and waiting I turned the indicator off and held my foot or hand on the break aswell. Never got marked down for it so think I was grand.

Passed the test today, cheers for the advice. I was dying with the flu, shivering, shaking, snot running down the inside of the helmet, but it all helped. Made some mistakes but got through in the end

Glad to hear it congratz. It's a great feeling when he says you've passed. glad to have helped :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well done guys.....jealous as FOOK.

Congrats. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

doing my test in a month .. nervous as hell!!!

any pointers?

Get a pre test.

Lifesaver, Lifesaver, Lifesaver....practise the U turn and all pre checks

The test is not that difficult but it all depends on the day...

Are you doing it in Tallaght?

• Advertisement

yup tallaght

davoxx wrote: »
    doing my test in a month .. nervous as hell!!!

any pointers?

If you screw something up, don't worry about it, just continue assuming you hadn't. Mirror before signal, and Mirror, signal, lifesaver. Check you mirror before and after slowdown procedure. If you're breaking for an reason, give a glance in the mirror. Study all road signs cos they changed their old chart to include roadworks

Some bike related questions i got

- whats the most effective break?
    - how would you check your breaks?
    - how would you know if there is a problem with the breaks?
    - changing lane, turning left/right, taking off - what maneuver other than indicating would ya use? (lifesaver)

from a previous test -
    How would you check your oil?

yup tallaght

did a test a few weeks ago that was cancelled mid way through due to weather. But the route he took me on was down greenhills, passed cuckoos nest and left before the garage - it's a tight turn so practice it. Then there's a tight roundabout shortly after that - practice that too, then he'll bring ya towards kingswood. Make sure you know the lanes going across the m50 bridge. This time I did turnaround/slow down/drive slow by Powercity.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Congrats Op nice to see that they haven;t put people off bikes yet. When I did my test in 1997 in Navan, I pulled up at lights outside a school and this little scrote jumped on my pillion and started bouncing up and down, the test route went by the school and when they saw somebody on a bike giving hand signals they zeroed in on him.

I passed, and will never forget the elation driving home, great buzz.

Safe biking.

i presume everyone who did the test had motorbike boots and trousers?
    i've had mine nicked, and can't afford a new set as of yet ... but i have a good set of boots, and my bike trousers which does not have protection.

i can't see anything that states that you need to have 'proper' bike gear other than helmets.

damn lidl for selling out so quickly ...

i presume everyone who did the test had motorbike boots and trousers?
    i've had mine nicked, and can't afford a new set as of yet ... but i have a good set of boots, and my bike trousers which does not have protection.

i can't see anything that states that you need to have 'proper' bike gear other than helmets.

damn lidl for selling out so quickly ...

The minimum requirement for the test is Helmet and "L" vest but having all the correct biking gear creates a good impression, so I would recommend that you buy or borrow jacket, gloves, boots and trousers.

buzzard wrote: »
    The minimum requirement for the test is Helmet and "L" vest but having all the correct biking gear creates a good impression, so I would recommend that you buy or borrow jacket, gloves, boots and trousers.

have jacket/gloves .. just need to borrow boots and trousers so.
    Motorcyclists on a learner permit (provisional licence) have had to wear a yellow, fluorescent tabard (not a vest or jacket) with regulation sized L plates showing both back and front.. This applies to all learner permits\ provisional licences regardless of date of issue.

what's the difference between tabard and vest?

anyone got one they are finished with?

have jacket/gloves .. just need to borrow boots and trousers so.

what's the difference between tabard and vest?

anyone got one they are finished with?

They are one of the same. Cotters sell them for 10euro if you lost your original one.....

Advertisement