Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nitelink Changes Announced

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Threads merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I've asked earlier in this thread but didn't get an answer - does anyone know the exact route the 7N takes after Dun Laoghaire?

The timetable doesn't include the stops like the daytime timetables do. I'm trying to figure out how near it gets to Dalkey where the late lamented 46N used to drop me - though I'm probably more likely to get off in DL and get a taxi from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

What's the bets College Street becomes the latest unofficial taxi rank at night now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I've asked earlier in this thread but didn't get an answer - does anyone know the exact route the 7N takes after Dun Laoghaire?

I'm pretty sure it is same routing as the regular 7 except it continues down Church Road to Shankhill terminating at Woodbrook Golf Club.

The 46N rerouting is an odd one. I guess DB figured the areas it served were generally covered by the 7N and the 84N, though parts of Monkstown and mostly Dalkey lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The 46N rerouting is an odd one.

it is attempting to get the business from the discontinued 44n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

continues along the 7 route until the end of churchview road then not sure if it goes left or right to bally brack village like a 45a of 7b but after the village it runs down to shankill

ardmacha wrote: »
    it is attempting to get the business from the discontinued 44n

but losing a lot of other business in the process

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

but losing a lot of other business in the process
    hopefully if it doesnt get customer numbers they change it back. Used to drop me right outside my house :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ICanMakeSound

The timetable doesn't include the stops like the daytime timetables do. I'm trying to figure out how near it gets to Dalkey where the late lamented 46N used to drop me - though I'm probably more likely to get off in DL and get a taxi from there.

Depends on where in Dalkey you're living. Either halfway up Glenageary Road at the corner of Silchester Road or Alex's Newsagent in Dún Laoghaire would be the closest stops for walking. Your other option is to get off at the entra at the Shopping Centre and hop in a taxi from the rank across the road.

I, out of boredom set up a petition earlier, I know it'll do feck all like most petitions but I guess I wanted to see how many people will actually be affected.

One suggestion I made was to alternate the routes on the 46N. One bus could serve Sandyford and the next could serve Dalkey. Considering the frequency of the 46N (every half an hour) I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Depends on where in Dalkey you're living. Either halfway up Glenageary Road at the corner of Silchester Road or Alex's Newsagent in Dún Laoghaire would be the closest stops for walking. Your other option is to get off at the entra at the Shopping Centre and hop in a taxi from the rank across the road.

I, out of boredom set up a petition earlier, I know it'll do feck all like most petitions but I guess I wanted to see how many people will actually be affected.

One suggestion I made was to alternate the routes on the 46N. One bus could serve Sandyford and the next could serve Dalkey. Considering the frequency of the 46N (every half an hour) I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

I like what you are saying. However, the same route alternating between two termini roughly 4-5 miles apart would be confusing to one who is in that state!:D If you are absolutely wasted, taking a trip with this arrangement would be like playing Russian Roulette with your wallet. While I could do a trip from Glenageary Shopping Center on foot or on the relatively cheap by taxi upon alighting the 7N, the nocturnal commuters between Foxrock Church and Dun Laoghaire are still, by and large, screwed. A different suggestion on what you are saying would be to split the route into two routes(each with an hourly frequency). For example:
    • 46N (D'Olier Street to Dalkey): 01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00.
    • 47N (D'Olier Street to Enniskerry via Stillorgan, Sandyford, Foxrock Village, Carrickmines and Kiltiernan):01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00.
    With the aforementioned arrangement, the same amount of buses would be used. Therefore, no extra costs and Dalkey people are still served at night albeit with a half frequent nitelink as well as the people from Sandyford. The 47N would be loosely based on it's daytime counterpart with an extension to Enniskerry. Also, the 01:00 and 03:00 journeys would use the same bus as would the 02:00 and 04:00 journeys. This is based on the assumption that it shouldn't take more than 100 minutes to get to either terminus and back for the run two hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

The work of genius that is Dublin Bus's change management continues.

Turned up for the 46N on Saturday night at the new departure point. What does it say on the front? "46N - Dalkey", of course.
    Inspector to driver: "Make sure to ask everyone coming on where they're going, they haven't changed the displays yet" (after half the passengers have already boarded). No announcement follows. I got off well before Foxrock Church so I cannot report on what excitement, if any, ensued after that point.

Point of order: With the clocks going forward, did the buses run for an hour less than normal?

• 46N (D'Olier Street to Dalkey): 01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00.
    • 47N (D'Olier Street to Enniskerry via Stillorgan, Sandyford, Foxrock Village, Carrickmines and Kiltiernan):01:00, 02:00, 03:00 and 04:00.

that's far to sensible for DB to even consider though :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that's far to sensible for DB to even consider though :D

Sad but true cookie monster. It really is a pain to be honest. My nights out to town will be a whole lot less frequent now that i have to pay for a taxi :mad:

why didn't they take the opportunity to create a 145N since this route is now one of the great success stories of recent years.

Is it just because of the Finniegan bus? That only runs twice does it not.

with the above in place the 46N could remain as is now and the 7N could be varied slightly to serve Dalkey as it would no longer be needed in Shankill. Yes, it may be a bit problematic to sort out a route that covers from DL to Dalkey to Killiney to Ballybrack is a satisfactory manner but it should be achievable.

Maybe DL to Dalkey and up to Glenageary roundabout and up the New Rd (Sallyglen Rd) and back onto current route at the Grad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

why didn't they take the opportunity to create a 145N since this route is now one of the great success stories of recent years.

Is it just because of the Finniegan bus? That only runs twice does it not.

The 84N serves Bray and Greystones.
    While I could do a trip from Glenageary Shopping Center on foot or on the relatively cheap by taxi upon alighting the 7N, the nocturnal commuters between Foxrock Church and Dun Laoghaire are still, by and large, screwed.

Not entirely, the 84N passes through Deansgrange. It looks like affected passengers in the Monkstown area will have to decide whether the 7N or 84N is closer to home and walk the extra mile.

The 84N serves Bray and Greystones.
    still limited compared to other routes though, only 3.
    Not entirely, the 84N passes through Deansgrange.

that I did not realise. Does it basically follow the 45 route then? no route map on the timetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

still limited compared to other routes though, only 3.
    12, 2am and 4am. Finnegan runs at 1am and 3am, and Thursdays nights. Not bad all in.

that I did not realise. Does it basically follow the 45 route then? no route map on the timetable

I didnt know this either, this is also pretty handy for me, gives me a 2 min walk instead of a 2 second walk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

84N follows route 3 to Sandymount and then along Strand Road to Merrion Gates, then route 45 to Bray and then via 84 to Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Being a user of the 46n route to Dalkey (I live in Dalkey) I am quite angry the route has been re-routed. Had to get the 7N tonight and walk from Dun Laoghaire. Will just have to get taxis in future. Or not go out at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Why the hell would they cancel the 51n!? Now I've no nightlink to get home when I go out to town ffs! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Why the hell would they cancel the 51n!? Now I've no nightlink to get home when I go out to town ffs! :mad:
    You actually have a nitelink to go home. Maybe look up the 25n or 69n as an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

BenShermin wrote: »
    You actually have a nitelink to go home. Maybe look up the 25n or 69n as an alternative.

Which again, leave me nowhere near my house.

Well do what I did last night - get a Nitelink as close as you can to home and then take a taxi from there.

I still saved about EUR 10 by doing that over taking a taxi from the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Which again, leave me nowhere near my house.
    My apologies, I was under the impression that the new 69n served most of the old 51n route in the South Clondalkin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ohsoOutraged

Without it there is no service to dundrum,ballinteer area.its a disgrace..join BRING BACK THE 48N Nitelink on facebook please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drobaz

This facebook page focuses mainly on the 46n but see it for contact details of councillors to contact and an email that can be sent to Dublin bus:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-the-Dalkey-Sandycove-Glenageary-Nitelink/198308853542184

Click 'like' at the top so Dublin Bus can see how many people are going to be badly affected.

Without it there is no service to dundrum,ballinteer area.its a disgrace..join BRING BACK THE 48N Nitelink on facebook please :)

To be fair the numbers using the 48n were attrocious. Never more than 12 on any bus that I took.

As I said above you can still save money by getting a Nitelink part of the way home. I got a 15n to Rathfarnham on Friday night and a taxi from there (there is no shortage of them) - instead of forking out over EUR 20 from the city centre, it cost me EUR 8 for the taxi (I have an annual commuter ticket so Nitelink was free).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 drobaz

I've been in touch with councillors and TDs, apparently Ray Coyne (Ray.coyne@dublinbus.ie) is the man in Dublin Bus that you need to email to let him know that the changes aren't acceptable, particularly entirely rerouting the 46n. Send him an email voicing your concerns, even a very short one-line email, and apparently they will consider reinstating some services if enough people do: Ray.coyne@dublinbus.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Does Ray not mind his email address being on a public forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Howiya,that addreess along with a few others relevant to Network Direct has been up on boards for some months now...on this thread actually....back around Phase 1 I think...:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69653382

Post #413

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

howiya wrote: »

so what if he does, it's a business email address and should be available to the public.

If it was a personal private email it would be different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Howiya,that addreess along with a few others relevant to Network Direct has been up on boards for some months now...on this thread actually....back around Phase 1 I think...:)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69653382

Post #413

Ok so regardless of the rights and wrongs of displaying someone's email address on a public forum, are network direct and the changes to the nightlink related? I didn't think they were. If they're not related then there's little point in emailing the manager responsible for network direct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Howiya : are network direct and the changes to the nightlink related? I didn't think they were. If they're not related then there's little point in emailing the manager responsible for network direct

Good question,which Dublin bus kinda indirectly answered at a recent meeting when the Nitelink options were discussed.

It appears the company required an immediate reduction of 60 Nitelink journeys,which if not agreed to by the Staff,would see the cessation of all Nitelink services.

IMO,It is all about cost-savings,and as such therefore can be regarded as an integral part of the greater ND programme.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Allan,

I have just received an email from Dublin Bus telling me that Dublin Bus has completed a post implementation review of Nitelink services. As a result of this review, I am pleased to inform you that Dublin Bus will be adjusting the 46n service to cater for customers in Ballinteer, Broadford and Dundrum.

The new routing will be as follows

Current routing to Kilgobbin Road in Sandyford and then Brehon Field Road, Stone Masons Way, Broadford Road, Ballinteer Avenue, Wyckham Way, Ballinteer Road, Main Street Dundrum and last stop at Luas Interchange (Taney Road), Dundrum.

This service will operate every 30 minutes from 12.00am to 4.00am.

Dublin Bus inform me that they have applied to the National Transport Authority to operate the above route with commencement during May

Neale
    - Show quoted text -

On 2 April 2011 11:23, Allan Brown <allanbrown49@gmail.com> wrote:

Good Morning,

I'm writing to you because of the news that has been brought to our attention about the Dublin Bus nitelink service being cancelled in the Dundrum area (the 44N & the 48N),

As of the 25th March there is no more nitelink services to the Dundrum Area, leaving a lot of people in the Dundrum, Windy Arbour, Taney and Goatstown area without a viable means of getting home safely
    There is the option of a taxi but that can cost €15-€20.

The alternitives that Dublin Bus has offered are laughable at best, Below is an example of 44N and 48N users options;

The following route numbers will no longer operate;
    44n - please see 46n for alternative route
    48n - please see 15n or 46n for alternative route

15N to go to Dundrum

Richmond Street, Rathmines, Kenilworth Road, Rathfarnham Road, Willbrook Road, Ballyboden Road, Scholarstown Road, New Link Road, Woodstown roundabout, Ballycullen, Firhouse, Oldbawn, Tallaght (Ellensborough)

46n From D’Olier Street Towards Sandyford
    Revised Routing
    Kildare Street, Leeson Street, Donnybrook, UCD Belfield, Stillorgan, Galloping Green, Foxrock Church, Cornelscourt Hill, Ballyogan, Kilgobbin Road, Sandyford Village

Not one of these goes near Dundrum the closet being Belfield, but at 2 or 3am walking for over an hour to get home after a night out is not the safest option.

The only other option is to leave for the last normal hour bus at half 11.

But if you're going out for a party an anniversery or to a gig most of these don't finish till after 11, at least when the nitelink was there there was some room to breathe and not worry about how you were going to get home.

Myself and My fianceé find this news unacepptable, Dublin Bus have already increased prices and cut routes this year, and for them to cut two services that provided safe cheap transport to the Dundrum and surrounding areas is just not right,

Aren't Dublin Bus funded by tax payers money to provide a service, is it right to give a weeks notice of the closure of a service?

Would you feel safe walking back to your home from one of the "suggested destinations" that Dublin Bus have so kindly provided? I know i wouldn't nor would i feel comfortable with my fianceé, sister or any other female friend doing so.

Kind Regards,

Allan Brown,
    Incident Lifecycle Co-ordinator
    Hewlett Packard

--
    Cllr. Neale Richmond
    Glencullen - Sandyford Ward

086-7814514

www.nealerichmond.ie

Good news and a sensible compromise.

However, to suggest you have to walk over an hour or pay over EUR 20 for a taxi is not quite true.

Since the change came into effect, I have taken the 15n or 46n to either Rathfarnham Village or Stillorgan crossroads respectively and taken a taxi from there for under EUR 10 rather than paying well over EUR 20 from the city. Given the amount of taxis out and about you are never waiting too long.

Still no use to the people of Sandycove and Dalkey though :D

drobaz wrote: »

probably the least desirable compromise but compromise none the less.

now, lets pressure IE to run late night DARTs and then the above can be put back to normal :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I use to live in Deans grange I would walk from foxrock church to Dean Grange, say a walk of 20 minutes to a certain area, I wouldn't be happy about it but I would feel safe enough,
    Living in Tallaght I can't use the nitelinks now that the 54n is gone, you don't go on a 20 minute walk at night (and don't give me the its dangerous everywhere its not the same), and up at the end of the 54 route people are very cut off from any other bus routes never mind the luas and yet they keep trying to cut it up there. Not sure if this is new but the 15n ends up in the same place as the 54a phew.

Advertisement