Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruined building in Waterville

Options
  • 16-03-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Does anybody know what the ruined building is that sits just beside Waterville estate, between the Spar and the field that would lead to the back of the aquatic centre? Its a tallish 4 story tower with a roofless factory sort of building attached to it. Somebody told me it could be an old abbatoire, but just trying to find out.
    cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I think its the old morgue of Blanch Hospital.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I believe it is the old boilerhouse that supplied heating for the hospital complex. That is if you mean the building with the large chimney.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is part of the old campus of Blanchardstown Hospital - Waterville is built on part of the old hospital grounds.

The ruined building would date from the 1950s when the hospital first opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I'd love to get in there and take a few pictures, is it possible to get in there at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DankU

Ye its possible but be safe and dont go alone.

• Advertisement

Would there be people in there? Or is it just a dangerous structure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's a hang out for people you wouldn't generally want to hang out with. Regular fires, drinking etc.... I wouldn't go near the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Nice one, thanks everybody.

OK I'll bring my cheap camera so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/27400681.jpg

I found that on the first result on google. I have always wanted to see the building up close myself. But before the NAC and the houses etc where built I was only a nipper and didn't fancy going to see it.

As someone pointed out id be careful about going to take pictures of it. But if you decide to go, can you please post the pictures, or even a best of. Id love to see what its like!

• Advertisement

That's the one Jeff, did you take that picture yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Arciphel wrote: »
    That's the one Jeff, did you take that picture yourself?

Sorry I tried to embed it and posted a reply to see if it worked. Ive edited the post now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's the old water tower for the hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Anybody have photo how it's look inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JD81

These are a couple of photos i took about a month ago for a college project, i didnt go inside, but there is a small hole at the top of the pile of soil blocking the door at the centerback of the picture that can be used to enter the building, i was by myself and when i looked through the hole it was quite dark so i got a liitle freaked to go in by myself, i will go back and enter the building with a friend and ill post the photos when i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

cool photos. It looks like a very intresting place. Would love to take a walk through it with my camera now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

This is a building im quite familiar with.

It is indeed the old boiler house for the entire hospital complex. As a kid me friends and I used to get a chase from security by going near here and we passed it on route to the abbotstown house and orchard, plus a place called the haybarns (that's a story for another day).

This building used to be powered by burning peat. In 1993 as a 13 year old, my friends and I were allowed to take the remaining turf from a large pile that remained. All but one security guard allowed us to take it, there was always this one exception and we had to time our visit with our superquinn trollys. :D

By the end of that weekend we had amassed quite allot of turf in each of our back gardens and the parnets weren't complainng. Things were fairly tight in our estate of Corduff at the time and I grabbed enough turf to last about a month.

This building also doubled up as a mini incinerator as far as I know. The hospital certianly dumped equipment and rubbish here. This place was always good for an old wheelchair or a few crutches etc and you could even sit in an old ambulance.

If anyone local remembers, there was another large white building about 200 meters down the small road that led from this one and it was also high and white. The building was almost located where the spar is today. There is still part of the forest beside spar and it's hard to pinpoint with the new layout but in that forest was a shore that you could climb in to and make your way in to the underneath of that building. Even though that building was long un-used even in the early 90's it still had running electricity. You could turn on the lights etc.

As for that security guard who let us do nothing, he had a distinctive blue birthmark or blue something on the side of his face. One day we collected a good bag of conkers and we knew spots in the hospital grounds where you got the un-touched and best and largest conkers in autumn. He would actually confiscate them from us. Can you believe that in public hospital grounds.:eek:

hospital-blanchardstown-5.jpg

This must have been taken in the mid to late 90's.

hospital-blanchardstown-4.jpg

This is the building im referring to. It has electricity even when dis-used.
    I looked on the map and this is exactly where bantry square is today, you may recognise the forest behind it.

hospital-blanchardstown-7.jpg

This photo shows the old boiler house as a hospital dumping ground as I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭memomy

Arciphel wrote: »
    I'd love to get in there and take a few pictures, is it possible to get in there at all?

I went in there last year with the intention of taking some photos myself. All ground floor windows & doors have been completely covered in huge mounds of muck in order to prevent people from getting into the building but there was one area that looked as if it had been dug away allowing people to get in. It was a tight-ish squeeze back then from what i remember. Unfortunately I never got the chance to venture inside as my girlfriend was with me and she wasnt keen on going inside and i wasnt too keen on leaving her outside by herself :) But it is possible but do be careful. Must take the camera down again actually on a sunny day. Would love to get some photos with the sunlight piercing through the windows.

• Advertisement

chucknorris Thx for photos and Your information.

P.S. If You like urban exploration and abandoned area here is nice site :rolleyes:

Hi Guys,
    Well i revisited the building yesterday and shot some more pics, i did not enter the building again this time as i'm not sure weather it is been used by some dodgy characters as a squat, but i want to enter it now more than ever as who knows this building might not be there much longer judging by the condition its in, i'm gonna wait untill a few friends are available and i'm going to go in.
    Anyway i did manage to climb up to some of the openings and stick my camera in, bear in mind it was very dark on the ground floor so i could not see what i was shooting but here's two shots that the flash picked up of the interior. Enjoy.

Interior looks really good, it's not totally destroy.

Interior looks really good, it's not totally destroy.

Let's make a night club out of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Let's make a night club out of it :D

There's enough noise in Waterville already thanks :P

athtrasna wrote: »
    There's enough noise in Waterville already thanks :P

FACT :)

Ok,
    I've been inside the building, have to say although theres not a lot inside, it has a very eerie feeling to it, i had not got enough time to get to the top floor, so i will be going back yet again, the place is well worth a look around before its gone.
    If you want to see more just click any of the images and it will link you to my pix.ie page where there is a full album. Enjoy.

3FFE398A375C4B2E8D6471377A81953B-0000343179-0002322973-00800L-20A7E8F8B8144F8386569EE2798F3848.jpg
    CC8D83A8700E4C8984BADED2932ADC12-0000343179-0002322974-00800L-CBD6796DB79B48CA911E2E202C6B5BF9.jpg
    82F46A9F378640379304B59971A70165-0000343179-0002322958-00800L-58CF19183F7F424193249340E565A723.jpg
    2EC5B78B278F4514B039E424B9A6EAA4-0000343179-0002322966-00800L-FC920D3D456441B399E9CE858EAE6249.jpg

Advertisement