Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel a book-buying spree coming on...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

You caught me on payday! I had to go and buy a book, it's not my fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I'm afraid I just ordered a 2nd batch! The prices are very good. Free delivery too!

All these new books should keep me going for quite a while....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

No paypal??? I was going to avail of this, but awesomebooks.com is way cheaper... even without a discount. That said I just ordered 4 books from the said site.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Thanks for the info but I prefer to buy local ...
    So many bookstores are dying these days because of people buying online, don't want to add to that if I can get the same book for the same money in the town I live in (as much as I love the inet ;) )

Too true! I am sad to see the bookstores closing down. However I admit I'm guilty. Whenever I want to buy a book I check the online price first. I guess we're all becoming more careful of the price we pay for books.

Though I do love to wander around the bookshops. It's amazing the treasures that you can find, that you wouldn't see on the internet. I've been buying some great books in charity shops recently.

You can't win! On the one hand, I love those independent bookshops like Chapters, The Gutter Book Shop. However, I want to be careful how I spend my money these days. I will try my best to continue to support the independent book shops. The amount of money I spend on books has definitely reduced over the last two years (but the number of books I have has not diminished!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

In fairness, I don't think anyone wants to see high-street bookstores decline. The problem is that the price difference between the high-street and online retailers is massive. I find that by buying online I save between 30% and 50% (tending to the latter). If the difference were small I might shrug it off, and consider it justified for the service that book stores offer. But paying €8 for Machivelli's The Prince in Waterstones instead of €3.50 on Book Depository? No thanks.

This offer expires on the 31st March!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

In fairness, I don't think anyone wants to see high-street bookstores decline. The problem is that the price difference between the high-street and online retailers is massive. I find that by buying online I save between 30% and 50% (tending to the latter). If the difference were small I might shrug it off, and consider it justified for the service that book stores offer. But paying €8 for Machivelli's The Prince in Waterstones instead of €3.50 on Book Depository? No thanks.

I don't know what bookstores you go to but mine aren't that expensive compared to online stores. Of course they are more expensive but it's like cooking something at home or going out to a great restaurant. Someone with talent will be able to produce the same meal at home but you also pay for the experience and I simply love to browse a shop and smell the wood and paper there and read all the summaries on the covers and so on.
    I'm glad to pay a few Euros more for that :)

50 cents for a paperback in the CASA charity shop in Capel St. Though I have cleared them out of a good few books already over the last week or so.

I hate paying those massively inflated prices for new books in some places. My books from the Book Depository were at least 30% (maybe more) cheaper than the bricks and mortar stores. I don't know where it will all end up! I do love to look at the books in stores though, before I purchase online.

That's what I did yesterday. I wrote down all the titles of the books I liked the look of in (??) and now i'm going to order them from BD. Before this recession I was never as thorough in checking prices online first.

I'd love to be noble, but I'm afraid simple economics takes over. I know, I'm risking jobs here in the book stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭thegoodgirl

I just bought 6 books online for €40 and that includes P+P. I was only meant to be browsing but I couldn't help myself. I do support local as well though, my OH is manager of a book shop at home. I won't be telling him I bought these though he'd kill me.

But the price difference was a lot I bought 2 books in the shop last week for 35€ and so to get 6 for just under 40€ well I'd be a sucker not too.

My book consumption is about 2-3 a week nowadays as I have an hour and a half commute to work each way so if that keeps up the cheaper the book the better I say.

I agree though the experience of trawling through book stores and seeing all the lovely books cannot be beaten, I will just have to do both! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement