Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson - 5 match ban...harsh ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Personally I'm sick of managers being punished for questioning refereeing decisions.

Fergie gives his opinion, is hammered for it, and people are saying finally The FA grow a set of balls and so on.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick to death of the clichéd **** that managers come out with after games such as ''referees have the hardest job in the world'', ''hopefully the decision will even itself out again next week'' and ''I'm not going to comment on that as I don't want to get punished''. The only reason they say such things is because The FA have protected referee's so much that they're now completely unaccountable.

People were hammering Fergie when he refused to speak to the press, why? All you'd be able to read from was the above clichéd **** or else he'd have been punished for saying what he really thinks, or in most cases speaking the truth.

Once again a manager is punished for speaking out about a poor referee. The referee gets no punishment and is able to referee again the next week. What needs to happen is that referee's become accountable, stop thinking that they're the star of the game, and get the decisions which they are paid to get right, right.

I've heard people saying that Fergie's only trying to pressurise referee's with his comments, but if they grew a spine no-one would have to worry about that.

Anyway, as I said earlier, it's a pointless punishment as he can go into the dressing room and if he wants he can sit a couple of rows away from the touchline. All this is is The FA trying to say ''we do punish Manchester United and Alex Ferguson'', when in reality they should concentrate on far more pressing issues.

I'm no Manchester United fan and I do often feel that the bigger clubs do get many more decisions than the smaller clubs, but I'm with Manchester United and Ferguson on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Mister men wrote: »
    Woooosh

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvy6juGjpfBU4_fFR-Bj08P0B6_2xNQJi03mbR1BOBr2C5n1WXxA

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's a three match ban.

He had a suspended two match one which also kicked in for persistent bad behaviour.

Three match ban - deserved. Should have known better and also got the suspended two from (Wiley??) before.

Not that it makes any odds when everyone has a walkie-talkie or cellphone..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He said nothing about the referee after the Liverpool match. :-).

Touché. Probably not used to losing two games in a row.
    Plan of action: Lose match. Blame ref. Win next game. wait, whut?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

about time oul fergie had the book thrown at him;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

BERBA wrote: »
    about time oul fergie had the book thrown at him;)

Got a break up that tedium of having trophies, medals and awards being thrown at him I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wouldn't be too worried. He can just sit at home and listen to Jamie Redknapp's insightful analysis and text on his thoughts to Gill and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

ridiculous, redknapp supporting ferguson on this front demonstrates how silly it is. Ask a punter and say what they like but ask any manger and they have to be more pc than calling a blackboard a chalkboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Ah come on, no matter how bad a referee is you cannot publically criticise him if your a manager, ferguson knows the rule, he needs to learn to hold his tongue when he is wound up. It is a lillte harsh but he knows the rules and he still broke them.

Why can't you? Managers everywhere are constantly criticised in the media for an assortment of things, whether they be right or wrong. What makes a referee so different? If a referee is wrong, shouldn't a manager have the right to say so? It's not as if the referree is doing the job for free. It is his profession. I can guarantee that if you or I fcuked up in work tomorrow, we would hear some criticism, so why not the referee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amy21

Degag wrote: »
    Why can't you? Managers everywhere are constantly criticised in the media for an assortment of things, whether they be right or wrong. What makes a referee so different? If a referee is wrong, shouldn't a manager have the right to say so? It's not as if the referree is doing the job for free. It is his profession. I can guarantee that if you or I fcuked up in work tomorrow, we would hear some criticism, so why not the referee?

Yes but if someone came out at your work and said you shouldn't be doing the job because your not good enough, and that you **** up on purpose I'm sure you would be pissed, I think the main fact is that this will make little or no difference to uniteds run in, I think in rugby if your banned you can't go near the ground or the team from Friday till Monday, now that's a proper ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Degag wrote: »

I don't think the FA have a proplem with managers saying the ref got such and such a decision wrong its when the manager implies bias or systemic incompetance that the FA takes umbrage , SAF's mistake with his "I feared the worst" comment was in implying both .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have visions of Fergie at the hearing as Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Because it's absolutely impossible to get every decision right all the time.

It might be impossible to get 100% of all decisions right but its not impossible to get 95% of the big decisions right,As they do in Tennis,Cricket,Rugby and American football for example.
    As far as what you said about diving,your right.Players should be sent off if they do it in the box imo.

Ferguson's bbc blackout has nothing to do with this case so I don't know why its being mentioned in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Paully D wrote: »
    Personally I'm sick of managers being punished for questioning refereeing decisions.

Fergie gives his opinion, is hammered for it, and people are saying finally The FA grow a set of balls and so on.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick to death of the clichéd **** that managers come out with after games such as ''referees have the hardest job in the world'', ''hopefully the decision will even itself out again next week'' and ''I'm not going to comment on that as I don't want to get punished''. The only reason they say such things is because The FA have protected referee's so much that they're now completely unaccountable.

People were hammering Fergie when he refused to speak to the press, why? All you'd be able to read from was the above clichéd **** or else he'd have been punished for saying what he really thinks, or in most cases speaking the truth.

Once again a manager is punished for speaking out about a poor referee. The referee gets no punishment and is able to referee again the next week. What needs to happen is that referee's become accountable, stop thinking that they're the star of the game, and get the decisions which they are paid to get right, right.

He claimed the ref was was unfair and biased, not that he was a poor ref though. That's a huge difference. Referee's become accountable? LOL. Maybe when players and managers become accountable. The refs do get punished, plenty of refs have been dropped down to the lower leagues for a few weeks after having poor games.

bradlente wrote: »
    It might be impossible to get 100% of all decisions right but its not impossible to get 95% of the big decisions right,As they do in Tennis,Cricket,Rugby and American football for example.
    As far as what you said about diving,your right.Players should be sent off if they do it in the box imo.

Ferguson's bbc blackout has nothing to do with this case so I don't know why its being mentioned in this thread.

Rugby and American football get no where near 95% of the big decisions right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Rugby and American football get no where near 95% of the big decisions right.

Ok I shouldn't have included them with cricket and Tennis,I was a bit presumptuous tbn.

But tv officials and tv replays have helped those sports to some extent surely,Which brings me back to my main point that officials need more help from the touchline.

Tbh Fergie was wrong in saying "when I saw who the referee was I feared the worst".Its a bit offensive to the referee without referring to any evidence as to why he initially,before the match,disregarded this refs ability.Its also the sort of subtle dig that might effect a referee when hes back at OT in front of many a thousand angry fans.He should be reprimanded for the comment.

I just feel its a bit ineffective for the FA to dish out bans and fines like this as they are basically keeping their heads in the sand by continuing down this road.Worse mistakes have been made,Worse mistakes will be made,and there will be much worse reactions to them when they do come.That will be a result of withholding information from the match official that he can use and judge within a minute or less.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

A 5 match ban is lenient. They should throw the book at Fergie, and I mean literally, just throw a book at him, preferably a large heavy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

He will be overhead in this for each match, face projected whilst watching and complete with sound. Going to be awesome

blimp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

3 games would have been enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'd have no problem Fergie getting a ban if the same rules applied across the board. But they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

I'm a United fan, I can't fault it at all, the FA simply had to do it for his constant speaking out about them, they knew it would make them look bad so they give him the harshest punishment within reason they could.

Although I am sort of unhappy about this whole stifling free speech thing, managers should be allowed to say what they feel about officials, its the only way to help them learn from their mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

FatherTed wrote: »
    I'd have no problem Fergie getting a ban if the same rules applied across the board. But they don't.
    Eh......
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/9427076.stm
    Another shocking refereeing performance where the referee was obviously trying to even things up in the second half (even though Stoke's first goal shouldn't have stood either).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Eh......
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/9427076.stm
    Another shocking refereeing performance where the referee was obviously trying to even things up in the second half (even though Stoke's first goal shouldn't have stood either).

Wenger pushes an Assistant Ref - 1 game ban:rolleyes:
    Pulis: "Surprised to see Dean back on one of our games with his record against Stoke" - no ban.
    Mancini: "It's normal - the big club usually has different treatment" - no ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Again, Ferguson only got a three match ban, not a five match ban.

The other two games come from an older provisionally suspended ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

From f365:
    "It is disappointing," he said when asked for his reaction.

"It is the only industry where you can't tell the truth. But it is in the past now."

What a fearless warrior. Fighting for truth, justice and the Manchester United way.

The way the old boy talks, it sounds like he's been brought before the beak for stating white is white or that gravity is the force keeping us on the earth.

Let's revisit why Fergie received his spanking: "You want a fair referee, or a strong referee anyway - and we didn't get that," said Ferguson of Martin Atkinson.

"I must say, when I saw who the referee was I feared it. I feared the worst."

So basically he was saying that not only was Atkinson biased against Manchester United, but so obviously biased that any fool could see as much before the game.

Truth? Not quite. If we were Fergie, we'd take the ban and hope we won't be hearing from Atkinson's lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Trilla wrote: »
    3 games would have been enough

That's what he got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Im glad he got the book thrown at him.Hes a very arrogant man who thinks hes above everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Colinboy wrote: »
    Im glad he got the book thrown at him.Hes a very arrogant man who thinks hes above everyone else!

me too, like WTF has he to be arrogant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Ferguson - 5 match ban...harsh ?

No. Bout time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Only by the FA I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

will keep him fit for the CL I suppose :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement