Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief Query

Options
  • 16-03-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭

I know there are already a million rent relief topics here, but I couldn't really find the information that I was looking for, and that is regarding making a claim with Revenue.

I have the application form ready to send, but I find it strange that Revenue don't request any other documentation such as a letter from the PRTB, the Contract of Agreement with the Landlord, Receipts of rent paid, or bank statements if paid by bank account.

So, how do Revenue check that the submission on my application form is of a correct address, and a correct rent amount declared?

Me and my partner have been renting for 2 years, but we pay our landlord through only my bank account, and my partner would then give me 50% of that back in cash, so even though her name is on the contract and registered with PRTB, there is no proof that she has ever paid any rent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Most PAYE tax reliefs can be claimed without having to prove it up front -- I claimed medical tax relief last year by submitting a form on the Revenue website and got it electronically put into my bank account a few days later -- no information required other than the amount being claimed, not even the name of the doctor (although they did tell me to hang on to my receipts for 5 years in case I get audited).

If you're claiming rent relief and you get audited, then proof of address (in the form of letters addressed to you at a house owned by an unrelated person) will be seen as proof that you've been paying rent -- the owner is hardly letting you live there for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 eest

They never check so no need to prove but if they do check for any reason and find it is a fake - hold on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

eest wrote: »
    They never check so no need to prove but if they do check for any reason and find it is a fake - hold on.

They certainly do check. While PAYE returns may not be high on the 'risk' list- they are randomly audited nonetheless. You are always told to keep any receipts or documentation necessary to backup a claim for a period of 5 years, incase you're audited. If you're unable to substantiate a claim- you will be made pay the amount back- along with penalties (which are often a multiple of the original amount).

Advertisement