Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Performing Arts Center on Coates Lane

• 16-03-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Does anyone know anything about the new Arts Centre in Maynooth? Heard there are open mic nights, film nights and story nights there, any one been there? What's the place like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

louliewan wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about the new Arts Centre in Maynooth? Heard there are open mic nights, film nights and story nights there, any one been there? What's the place like?

The facebook page has loads of info

http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome.php?ref=home#!/pages/Creative-Arts-Centre-Maynooth/148642705181189

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Very excited about this! Maynooth's very own semora spraoi without the smelly anarachists :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Cool idea, open mic nights are great and a casual BYOB policy is good.

Just hope it doesn't get all "cliquey".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Must be the only person not on Facebook...can't get info on the place.Was told that there are a few things goin on there today, might pop in for a gander at it. Hope it does well, much needed to boost the great talent in and around the Maynooth area ;)

Like the idea of a social space that isn't a pub. Not enough of those in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

I thoroughly agree (as a teetoatler myself), nice not to feel odd when you decline alcohol. Talkin to one of the owners/organisers and he wants to get an Irish night started there, stories, music etc, sounds great. Hope they get people to come forward to help with this, not just as a boost for the teanga, but for a bit of 'somethin different'. Here's one who will be there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

Boards BYOB some night?

That's a great idea Declan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

declan06 wrote: »
    Boards BYOB some night?
    Like that idea a lot! Should there be a seperate thread made about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

basically its a general space for running events of any artistc variety, they have a big projector for showing films and such and so far they have been regularly running gigs, open mics and film evenings. there will be art exhibitions and such in the future i believe. and its generally five euro in but you can bring your own drink and what not, so its definitely and affordable alternative.

as to what its like, i really like it, it looks like a classy cafe type place and it is a very relaxed and comfortable place to spend some time. I'd reccomend checking it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Having played here and gone to a few shows here I can definitely say that this is one of Maynooth's best qualities as of late! The palce is kitted out very luxuriously and as a musician, the sound sounds perfect both on stage and from the seats/floor. The BYOB aspect of it is great too, saving a bunch on pints and getting your drink kept cold for you is a lovely little addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

declan06 wrote: »
    Boards BYOB some night?

Not that our esteemed Finance Officer is encouraging people to take their business away from the SU.

Not that our esteemed Finance Officer is encouraging people to take their business away from the SU.

I hope that's a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Abdul Abhaile

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    I hope that's a joke.

Yes it was a joke. But on that note, do you take issue with people encouraging students to support the bar that they collectively own?

Eh, no, can't see how I could of implied that. I assume you'll never leave it next year so as not to be seen as not supporting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

where on coates lane is this - is it the building that looks like it used to be a church?
    are non -students welcome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

It's not part of NUIM so yep!
    Also it's on the right when you walk down the lane beside Supermacs.
    Lovely place, planing to play there with a friend soon! Also I agree on the acoustics, great sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭declan06

This is my personal account, so I'm free to suggest whatever we like. Also the last one was in the SU.

Checked it out tonight, great little spot. It's tiny but the chap working there was mad sound and I'll definitely be going back. Really encourage people to go to a place like this were your business is valued unlike a lot of the ****hole pubs in this town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

as someone who's performed there I can't recommend it enough.

Great staff, great sound system and a lovely atmosphere.
    it's more like a club house/art centre then a pub.
    you bring your own drink, there are card games, books, art to look at, and of-course, good music (if I do say so myself).

• Advertisement

It's more like someone's sitting room, it's tiny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

someone cools'es sitting room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Just back from the performing arts centre in Maynooth. THought it was very good and the music was great. Will be going back again.

Excise the typing I am a bit drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Just back from the performing arts centre in Maynooth. THought it was very good and the music was great. Will be going back again.

Excise the typing I am a bit drunk.

You could've said nothing and got away with it... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Is the arts centre still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

No, it shut about a year and a half ago IIRC. Rent was too expensive to stay open I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Gheadphone

Thats a real pity. Is there anywhere in Maynooth that has singer/songwriter open mics Seren?

Advertisement