Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Drogheda

Options
  • 16-03-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

First time poster. I'm moving to Drogheda in the next few months. I've trawled around the internet and noticed at least three gyms in the town itself. Can anyone advise/recommend a particular gym? Looking at cost per day session/pay as you go, or maybe even shelling out a years membership if the price is right :D and whether the gym has a good stock of equipment.

Any comments welcomed!

Best regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

One thing to consider is how close the gym will be to where you'll be living - I made the mistake of joining a gym on the opposite side of town to where I live a few years ago. I had to go through the town to get to it, which could take as long as 25 mins. Any excuse not to go....:D....and I didn't renew my membership.

I'm in Southgate myself (on Dublin Rd at the shopping centre). There are no "frills" (sauna, pool or the like), there is a reasonable range of cardio machines (5 treadmills, 4 bikes, 4 cross trainers and a couple of rowers) some weight machines, a punchbag, and some free weights.

The cardio machines can be fully occupied at certain times (e.g. immediately after work), but if you can avoid that timeslot then it's never too busy.

I find the gym has all I need (but I'm no "gym bunny"!!), and as it takes only a few mins to get there, I've no excuses!

The gym opens early Mon-Fri (6.30am I think - I've never been!), stays open till late and at the moment is open weekends too, although they've recently announced a change in opening times, from April they'll be closed on Sundays.

(no connection to the gym other than as a member).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mancityman

Thanks Gipi! Any comments on the monthly/year prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

There was a thread about gym's in Drogheda before, sometime last year, I can't find it though. As far as I remember Aura and SFX got good review's. I know you can do pay as you go in aura.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mancityman

Thanks Mr Muddle. I did a search when I joined using the word 'Gym' and similar but nothing came up, but I have searched via Google and it brought up some old threads on this website about the local gyms, in particular some with dubious history. Hence any new information anyone can give will be of use before I part with my already overtaxed readies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Aura is grand .5 euro pay as you go for pool and gym , great steam room and sauna etc . There is about 6 / 7 gyms in town so lots of choice ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

mancityman,

The annual membership for Southgate is around 275 or thereabouts - don't think they have a drop-in rate. You could check out their facebook page for more info (southgate fitness).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Hi,
    All depends wat u looking for,if you want a hard core bodybuilding/powerlifting gym sfx is the best place outside of dublin has everything equipment wise very heavy dumbbells,texas power bars etc also has an a cardio gym upstairs, i know they have a facebook page, aura is gr8 if you like the leisure side of things lovely equipment and lovely pool area and think it only about 7euro pay as go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

i rang 3 gyms today for prices and none of them answered! :rolleyes:

im looking for student monthly rates, ill post them up as i get them

student rates:

boyne valley - 30pm
    energise(jackie skelly) - 60pm (no student)
    sfx - 35 pm
    intergral fitness - about 30+ pm depending on what you want to use
    matrix - 99 for 3 months
    aura - 36pm but 4 months min

Advertisement