Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audio Problems With Pioneer Receiver

• 16-03-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Pioneer vsx 1011 receiver, have for around 7-8 years I think, and haven't had any issue with it until today, and it seems a fairly serious one.

While watching something on Sky with the audio output to the receiver with optical cable, the sound dropped and was replaced with very high volume White noise. I had to turn the receiver off straight away as the noise was so loud. Turned the receiver back on and it was alright for a few minutes then the same thing happened again.

I thought it may be a connection issue so changed source to Apple TV, with a different optical input and again the same thing happened. I ended up turning the volume down so I couldn't hear the source and then when it decided to go out I could hear the White noise at a reasonable level and continue to listen to it. You can hear the correct audio track just about, but very distorted, but there is a huge volume in White noise above it.

I pulled one of the main speakers out to get to the back of the receiver to see if there was anything loose, but all seem intact. I checked all speaker connections to see if any one them had come loose or if there was any barre wire exposed but nothing.

Anybody got any experience of anything similar or any expertise that they could hazzard a guess at the problem?

I earrings it's something on the way out internally but hoping not.

One thing is for sure, I can't use it at all as it as, as even at modeerate volumes, if the interference kicks in it absolutely blasts out. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Besides ruling out the obvious like cabling, I would say that 7-8 years with a amplifier is good going. It does sound like a overheating/power problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Besides ruling out the obvious like cabling, I would say that 7-8 years with a amplifier is good going. It does sound like a overheating/power problem.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I bought it at the begining of 2004 so got a good run out of it. I havent switched it back on since. I ordered a new receiver, which just arrived by courier here in work today - Onkyo 608.

Looking forward to having HDMI in/out on a receiver and trying out the lossless sound formats on some of my Blu-rays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭johnj1969

The 608 has good reviews,like most onkyo av amps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Conjob83

adox wrote: »
    I ordered a new receiver, which just arrived by courier here in work today - Onkyo 608.

Looking forward to having HDMI in/out on a receiver and trying out the lossless sound formats on some of my Blu-rays.

Where did you order from?

Conjob83 wrote: »
    Where did you order from?

Sorry for the late reply, only seen your post today.

I ordered from Richer Sounds in Belfast. Actually ordered through their forum on here. Very helpful and quick turnaround with the order. Not sure if they have any left as its been superseeded by the 609 but definitely worth asking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Hifi Keith

Any faults on any other inputs bar the optical input? The Pioneer vsx 1011 is still a nice amp so even with a replacement lined up its well wort hanging on to

Hifi Keith wrote: »
    Any faults on any other inputs bar the optical input? The Pioneer vsx 1011 is still a nice amp so even with a replacement lined up its well wort hanging on to

It was happening on two different optical inputs on the receiver. I didn't try any of the other inputs if I'm honest.

I have replaced it already with the Onkyo but still have the Pioneer sitting here doing nothing. Having decided what, if anything, to do with it.

Advertisement