Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please

• 16-03-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a new lense, new to me, there 2 weeks ago and it got its first outing there last weekend, was chuffed with the results, lense worked faultlessly. But i went to use it today there and AF isn't working, it got a bit wet on Sunday i had it well covered with a cloth and all but it still got a bit wet, i thought nothing of it. The lense is a 75-300 canon USM III, the AF only tends to work 25% of the time, i know its the lense because my kit lense works perfectly.

Its not making any attempt to AF 75% of the time no noise when trigger half pressed, but then the other 25% it AF's great but take your finger of the trigger and it doesn't AF again. if i put the lense in manual focus you can adjust focus manually and it feels free no sticking ect. Is there anything i can do or is the lense a gonner please tell me there is an easy fix :(

Cheers Dean.

P.S. I know its not the most expensive lense but to me it is, so hoping there is a handy fix.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have you tried drying the lens by storing it in a dry place with some silica gel or rice?
    Can you adjust the aperture with the DoF preview button? Are you getting any error codes on the LCD?

You could try to clean the electrical contacts on the back of the lens mount with suitable cleaning fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Similar happened to me with a sigma zoom I bought for my old Sony. It didn't get wet, the af just . . . Went. After looking it up I found it was a common problem with that particular lens and Sony dslrs. I used it as a manual lens from there on and I do believe it done me the world of good. Your lens is far from a goner because the af is busted. Honestly, use manually for a while. It's probably not worth the expense to have repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks guys, i got lucky....

I checked all the contacts, cleaned them with a pencil rubber no good. so i emptied everything from my camera bag except the lense and put about 10 wee silica gel bags, thankfully i never throw them out go into a jar in a press, and put the bag into the hotpress, 2 days later its seems to be going ok now again.

Thanks all.

Advertisement