Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Day Parade. Mega Thread.

Options
  • 16-03-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what time the parade starts tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

Usually 12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Thanks Kurley
    I hear the route has changed, it's not going down O'Connell st. Instead, it's Castle st onto Teeling St. Thats a bit of a bummer, O'Connell st was my fav sopt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Thanks Kurley
    I hear the route has changed, it's not going down O'Connell st. Instead, it's Castle st onto Teeling St. Thats a bit of a bummer, O'Connell st was my fav sopt!

Thats what happens when our crowd of morons in the corporation decide to firstly pedestrianize, and then un-pedestrianize the street again, making a pox of it so the parade cant fit down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Thanks Kurley
    eh its not going to castle street either its finishing at teeling st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

A parade that doesnt go down the two main streets in the town.
    Way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭CityMan2010

Is it possible to start some sort of best in parade vote? (This is normally left to "the great, the holy, the good and the elected"...

I am giving myself 3 votes:

#1 Goes to The Sligo Indian Society: Loved the colour and the dancing.
    #2 Goes to the Old Woman In The Shoe and
    #3 Goes to Martin Forde, made a real effort this year, dressed like a blues brother and once again, in the face of ridicule, had a message to give.

If this thread works, Indian Society gets 3 stars, Woman In Shoe 2, and Martin 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Is it possible to start some sort of best in parade vote? (This is normally left to "the great, the holy, the good and the elected"...

I am giving myself 3 votes:

#1 Goes to The Sligo Indian Society: Loved the colour and the dancing.
    #2 Goes to the Old Woman In The Shoe and
    #3 Goes to Martin Forde, made a real effort this year, dressed like a blues brother and once again, in the face of ridicule, had a message to give.

If this thread works, Indian Society gets 3 stars, Woman In Shoe 2, and Martin 1.

Had just put the camera away, by the time I got the camera back out they had finished.

Hmmm, dont quite remember her

Got the back of him. Wasn't quite quick enough.

There was some very good displays, and marching bands. Will check the camera and give my votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Wasn't there myself but what did people make of the Sligo IT representatives?

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Wasn't there myself but what did people make of the Sligo IT representatives?

They were there en masse, well behaved, sober, and appeared to be enjoying the day...fair play to them. Goes a long way to ameliorate the reputation gained by the behaviour of many Sligo IT students during RAG week..

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I thought the parade was quite good this year, the poor indians last year ... there was such a gap between them and the previous group that everyone thought the parade was over and left so it looked like there was no one there to support them!

I gave the Panto "old lady who lived in a shoe" my number on .. I thought the spanish dancers where very good and got the crowd going .. so they get my second place ..... I felt sorry for the wee princess who was in the garden center one .. can't remember who it was but she was all by herself ... so gets my sympathy vote!

on another note the route this year was very good, its a pity so many people went to view it around the glasshouse/post office/Lyons as it was really packed there... we watched it outside the Catherdral and there was loads of room.

We went to Stephen Street Car park .. its a great idea having that there and being able to get some food with some entertainment afterwards .. instead of heading to the pub!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

I made an audio recording of the parade yesterday as it went down Temple Street.

Thought I'd share it with ye all.

goo.gl/OhbTt

P.S. - This is the full-length unedited version (over 43mins) and it sounds best when listening on headphones.

Enjoy.

My nominations are

#1 The IMF Bailout float
    #2 Robinson Crusoe
    #3 The Hen Party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I really liked the Gilroy tiles float with the Eurovision entry.
    I was delighted that this year there were no fleets of new cars.
    As usual I took way too many photo's.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157626286034464/

I also took a bit of video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdakfEZfVQU

One question though, why did the majority of the kids in the parade look so bloody miserable?

magnumlady wrote: »
    I really liked the Gilroy tiles float with the Eurovision entry.
    I was delighted that this year there were no fleets of new cars.
    As usual I took way too many photo's.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157626286034464/

I also took a bit of video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdakfEZfVQU

One question though, why did the majority of the kids in the parade look so bloody miserable?

Nice Pics Magnumlady, I think I managed to hit the 40 to 50 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

i got loads of smiley faces .. I think Martin Forde even smiled for me!

I was outside Tohers when the girl guides where walking by and there was silence from the crowd .. it was like they where watching a funeral!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I thought this year's parade was fantastic, the best I've seen in years. From where I was standing (across from the Clarence), it moved really smoothly, there were lots of good floats and not too many boring car adverts/ farming machinery etc.

Big Kudos to all involved, the weather was nice for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Scarlet42 wrote: »
    i got loads of smiley faces .. I think Martin Forde even smiled for me!

I was outside Tohers when the girl guides where walking by and there was silence from the crowd .. it was like they where watching a funeral!

Maybe they cheered up by the time they got to you. I was at the start of the parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I didn't go but my mum called me to tell me my old mini was in the parade.

Silver and black baby.

Devastated to see it being motored around when it took the guts of 4 grand to fix it up and it was still rust ridden. :(

"One question though, why did the majority of the kids in the parade look so bloody miserable?[/QUOTE]"

Prb cos they've heard nothing but recession talk for the past few months from their parents:D..

Brill photos MagnumLady...just brill...

Advertisement