Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size of cooker hood ?

• 16-03-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I wish to install a stainless steel ,chimney type cooker hood above my700mmm gas hob.Considering that I havent bought the wall units yet ,should I get a 700mm one or one that is wider?700mm and 900mm ones in the style I want seem to be affordable/available but 800mm ones are not.Any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Personal taste really. but if it were me, I'd go with a 700 unit.

Reason being, if you have a 900 hood, and a 700 hob, then the wall units you install will be smaller than the floor units by 100mm each, and they will not be inline at the ends where it meets the hood, if you get my meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

wayoutwest wrote: »
    I wish to install a stainless steel ,chimney type cooker hood above my700mmm gas hob.Considering that I havent bought the wall units yet ,should I get a 700mm one or one that is wider?700mm and 900mm ones in the style I want seem to be affordable/available but 800mm ones are not.Any advice please?

The regs for installing used to require a 50mm gap at sides and rear above hob upto 760mm so for a 700mm gas hob you would install an 800mm hood at 760mm high.
    Then they changed the 50mm clearance so you can put a 700mm hood over a 700mm gas hob at height 760 mm and top units at 460mm high. Which is the 50mm zone at 460mm now instead of 760mm

This should/will be in the instructions when you buy the hood and should be adhered to.

Also and I've seen this being broken loads o times but you need 300mm min at sides of hob, i.e. no larder press or fridge beside the hob. People wonder why the press wall is melting and going a funny colour.....prob as it's only 200mm from a flaming gas ring...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have a 5 ring 760mm wide gas hob and I went with a 900mm extractor unit.

Also a 900mm unit would give a good style and good coverage over a 700mm gas hob.:)

You can pick up a good new stainless steel 900mm extractor unit for not alot of euros these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

paddy147 wrote: »

Also a 900mm unit would give a good style and good coverage over a 700mm gas hob.:)

You can pick up a good new stainless steel 900mm extractor unit for not alot of euros these days too.

That'd be my preferred option to keep top units well away from the hob also helps keep them a bit cleaner too. Problem is some people want to go for most space they can get on the top storage.

Antiquo wrote: »
    That'd be my preferred option to keep top units well away from the hob also helps keep them a bit cleaner too. Problem is some people want to go for most space they can get on the top storage.

Hense me going for a long kitchen layout,not a big fan of the cluttered (pack as much in as you can) look.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »

Yeah, but isn't the hob fitted into a 900 base unit tho? therefore the top units will look symmetrical to the base ones.

Yeah, but isn't the hob fitted into a 900 base unit tho? therefore the top units will look symmetrical to the base ones.

As far as I know,its a 900mm base/drawer unit allright.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Leatherman

I'd go with the 900, also you should consider the height that you are making the unit. I constantly bang my head off the extractor unit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Thanks for all yer posts.I was going to fit the 700mm gas hob centrally placed over 600mm oven/base unit-I thought that the hob was fitted into the counter top and not the unit? Also ,if the cleararance hieght [counter-hood] is 760mm,how come most of the stainless steel splashbacks are either 700 or 750mm-do I leave 10mm gap between hood/top of splashback or set hood 10mm lower than regs suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Thanks for all yer posts.I was going to fit the 700mm gas hob centrally placed over 600mm oven/base unit-I thought that the hob was fitted into the counter top and not the unit? Also ,if the cleararance hieght [counter-hood] is 760mm,how come most of the stainless steel splashbacks are either 700 or 750mm-do I leave 10mm gap between hood/top of splashback or set hood 10mm lower than regs suggest?

most 700mm hobs fit in to a 560mm cut out of worktop so a 600mm base unit is fine and yes most hobs are about 40mm thick same as a laminate top,its just easier access for plumber/elec if unit is not smaller than hob.If you are putting an oven below it then yes space or unit will have to be 600mm wide

• Advertisement

Your work top has to be cut out to fit the gas hob,as the actual workings of the hob sit dowen into the work top and then the gas pipe is connected up to from below the worktop.;)

Its a cut out like a cut out for a sink unit.

Personally,I would keep it all in line or go bigger

A 700mm gas hob with a smaller 600mm unit below wont look right in my opinion,but its down to your own personal choice.

Id go for the 700mm gas hob and either a 700mm base unit and drawers or else a 900mm base unit.

best of luck with it.:)

Have to say I'm with paddy on this one.

PS. what's that behind you're kickboard?

PS. what's that behind you're kickboard?

You mean me??:)

Integrated washing machine and also a built in condensor dryer too that the carpenter cleverly managed to work into the kitchen presses and worktops.Wanted a nice clean look to the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

check the outlet size on ur chosen extractor and make sure it all fits, some are 5" and others 6" as opposed to the normal 4" and dont use 2 much flexi:

dont accept 4" in the wall for a 5" fan

Advertisement