Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza 2011

Options
  • 16-03-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hows it going?

Just got an early bird ticket to Castlepalooza there and Ive been searching everywhere for any rumours? Cant find any anywhere , theres usually a few names knocking about but no signs yet? I know it will be out in a few weeks but just wondering if anybody had heard anything?
    Never been before but heard nothing but great things about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor Brennan

Hi Vet,

I heard the line up and website will be launched this week i.e. last week of April. Only band I know that are playing this year are TransAutoRadio, a 6 piece instrumental band with some vocals. They are incredible live. Saw them play Crawdaddy last month. You should check them out online.

Looking forward to this year's festival too, especially if we get the weather.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Line up posted here http://www.castlepalooza.com/lineup.html

In alphabetical order which is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Added Last.fm event. I've also confirmed with the promoters that early bird tickets are eligible for entry on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm not liking this line-up too much but i suppose the tickets are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Vetinarugbian

Thanks for that, yeah not a huge fan of the line up. I dont where Id got it in my head that Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip would be playing so annoyed there not.
    To be honest I dont know much about any of teh bands playing.
    Has anybody got any favourites?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Some of the best new Irish bands are on that line up. For 60 it's an amazing price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Thanks for that, yeah not a huge fan of the line up. I dont where Id got it in my head that Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip would be playing so annoyed there not.
    To be honest I dont know much about any of teh bands playing.
    Has anybody got any favourites?

Dan le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip are playing at Indiependence festival the same weekend as this, probably where you got the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Conor Brennan

I think its a really strong line up this year too - the festival is always majority irish acts. The Jimmy Cake and TransAutoRadio (instrumental music) and jape (electro pop) among my favorites - you can download free music on TransAutoRadio's website. Looks like the biggest year for the festival yet! Should be a great one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

super lineup given the price IMO

anyone who's been knows the buzz around the festival is super as well. gonna try round up a posse for this one, might skip EP for the first time ever this year...or might not...been saying that for 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Dowdy

Thinking about heading to this festival this year but the no alcohol thing is turning me off. Can someone who's been to it recently tell me what they charge for pints, and what they charge for cans in the off-licence? Do they sell spirits in the off-licence too? And would it be possible to get in with a plastic bottle filled with whiskey at all? How much searching do they do when you enter the site (do they open out all of your bags, etc.)?

• Advertisement

Alot of your questions are answered in last years thread. Conversations here about smuggling booze in won't end well.

Right, ignore the smuggling question... As for questions about the prices, thanks for the link, I had actually found that thread after posting the last comment but it's full of conflicting info – one person says cans were €2, another lists prices saying cans were €3 and slabs were €60, people saying that before 8pm cans were way more expensive and slabs were €80... What's the story with all that? Was quite keen on going but from what I've read here they've been dicking people around with regard to drink for the last few years so I'll probably give it a miss if the cans are too dear.

* Lager Can (500ml) €3
    * Kopparberg Cider (500ml) €4
    * Draught Pint – Lager/ Stout €5
    * Short & mixer €5
    * Cocktails from €5
    * Shot €5
    * Wine €4
    * Off license Can (500ml) 6 for €15 (€2.50 each), 24 for €60

Those were the prices posted on the website last year. As it happened the cups they had were less than 500ml so they knocked the price of "a large cup" to 4 euro. There didn't appear to be any limits last year when they sold "off license" cans. In previous years they only did this from 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I went to Indiependance that weekend last year but CP the year before that.

Cant remember the exact prices from those years to be honest but they are not offo prices. Between 3 and 5 a can depending on the time of day, something like that.
    It's a joke in fairness.

Apart from that it's a great little festival though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Jebus, looking through the line-up (the Shank, Jogging, Enemies), it seems that the Richter Collective are taking over the country one festival at a time.

Not a bad thing at all, considering Beyonce was added to Oxegen today.

I like my indep irish music and still haven't ever heard of a few of those acts. Will still give them a listen ahead of the gig. That's what it's about I suppose.

I reckon 20% of the people go down because they're really into the bands, and 80% don't know most of the bands but just go down because it's a deadly time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭this_time

Have the 3 day tickets sold out for this? It said so on their facebook last Friday but Ticketmaster still seems to show availability.

Right,

I was unsure about booking tickets to this festival because of all the complaints about the drinks policy, etc., on boards, so before myself and a load of friends booked I emailed them to ask them for some straight answers regarding the off-licences. Here's what I asked:

1. Will the slabs be €60 at all times, or will they be more expensive (someone told me €80!?) before 8pm?

2. Will the off-licence be open throughout the festival, i.e. will we be able to buy cans when we arrive on the Friday afternoon?

3. If the slabs are €60 each, is there a range of different drinks available at this price (Heineken, cider, etc.), or is it just the cheaper drinks like Bavaria that are €60?

Here are the answers they sent me:

1. €60 per slab (as per other festivals) & available all day until bar closes at 10PM.
    2. Yes, open all weekend including Friday
    3. Yes, few different lagers and cider

This all sounded very good to me, so I booked tickets for myself and a large group of friends, based on this information.

Now I just noticed that the beer pricing is up on their website, and here is what is sold in the off-licence at €60: Budvar, Stoya, Hackenberg, and Kopparberg. All complete piss, and all 'budget' drinks, that you could get slabs of for less than half the price of these so-called 'off-licence' prices. So they lied to my 'is it just the cheaper drinks like Bavaria' question.

On top of this, the site now says that the off-licence is open from 1-2pm and from 6-10pm, so they again completely lied when they said it was 'open all weekend' and 'available all day until bar closes at 10pm'. I had explicitly asked could we buy from the off-licence when we arrived on Friday afternoon - the gates open at 3pm, so we have to buy drinks at bar prices until 6pm when the offie opens.

I'm very ****ing pissed off about this, having forked out for this 'boutique' festival (when I think of the word 'boutique' I usually don't associate it with the kind of pissy cheap drinks favoured by first-year students and the homeless...), and told all my mates that it wouldn't be just the cheap brands of booze available.

I've called out the organisers in the past re burying the "no bring your own booze" policies on their site and not fulfilling their promises of reasonable prices and in general they've been a lot better in recent years than in the earlier ones so I wouldn't be surprised if they just failed to read your mail thoroughly rather than actively going out of their way to mislead you.

Anyway If you've 3 day tickets you'll probably have no problem finding takers for them as they are sold out .

As an aside I wouldn't consider Budvar / Kopparberg as "budget" drinks. You'll pay more for either in the average bar over the price of a Heineken / Carlsberg.

Toast wrote: »
    I've called out the organisers in the past re burying the "no bring your own booze" policies on their site and not fulfilling their promises of reasonable prices and in general they've been a lot better in recent years than in the earlier ones so I wouldn't be surprised if they just failed to read your mail thoroughly rather than actively going out of their way to mislead you.

Anyway If you've 3 day tickets you'll probably have no problem finding takers for them as they are sold out .

As an aside I wouldn't consider Budvar / Kopparberg as "budget" drinks. You'll pay more for either in the average bar over the price of a Heineken / Carlsberg.

Well, Budvar and Kopparberg go pretty cheaply in most off-licences, however much they cost in bars. I've calmed down a bit since that earlier post anyway, having been told that Budvar is actually not a bad beer, and after reflecting on the fact that I usually drink cans of Heineken at festivals, and Heineken is fairly ****ty beer for the cost of it.

I'm mostly just pissed off at the lack of honesty in the email. I think they deliberately avoided telling me what the beers were that were on offer, and that they also should have told me about the off-licence opening times rather than clearly stating that they are open all day until 10pm.

Feck it, I'm going anyway at this stage! Not much I can do about it. i just wanted to let the organisers know that they can't keep blatantly misinforming people about their already-ludicrous drink policy without it ending up being publicised on boards and elsewhere.

Hopefully the weather will hold for it now. Yer wan on the forecast the other night claimed it will get progressively warmer each day for the rest of July, which is welcome after the wintery week we had last week...

• Advertisement

Also, is Kopparberg just a pear cider? I know there's some berry version of it, but it's normally pear, right? Is there a normal apple cider Kopparberg? That aul' pear stuff gets awful sickening after a few cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Apologies if this is a stupid question, so you can't even bring your own drink into the campsite!! (as opposed to most places where u can drink ur own stuff in the campsite). Major turn off if this is the case! trying to decide between this and indipendence! Way prefer the line up at the latter, but know some people going to the former! so just want to clarify this, might be able to change their minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Apologies if this is a stupid question, so you can't even bring your own drink into the campsite!! (as opposed to most places where u can drink ur own stuff in the campsite). Major turn off if this is the case! trying to decide between this and indipendence! Way prefer the line up at the latter, but know some people going to the former! so just want to clarify this, might be able to change their minds!

no, you can't bring any drink to Castlepalooza:
    http://www.castlepalooza.net/2011/foodanddrink.html

apparently the campsite and arena part are the same, ie. no checks/fence between them, so there'd be no way of stopping people just drinking their own alcohol all the time.

you'd think that they would charge cheaper prices for drink from the on-site off-licence, but they charge 2.50 a can, which is ridiculous really, and a fiver per pint is the same as usual festival/concert prices, more than most pubs.

i'm going to Indiependence that weekend too for a number of reasons, the alcohol situation being one.

They are completely aware that people choose not to go to the festival because of this rule. I've been bitching about it every year since they launched and it makes up a good 75% of the discussions here on the festival. I've come to the conclusion that they must be telling the truth that they've no choice in the matter even if I'm not so sure that it is solely because of the license (why they don't get the same license as Mór festival had in the past has never been explained).

Anyway every year the stuff they get right has always brought me back even in the face of that stupid rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Dowdy wrote: »
    been told that Budvar is actually not a bad beer, and after reflecting on the fact that I usually drink cans of Heineken at festivals, and Heineken is fairly ****ty beer for the cost of it...

Having been brewing it since 1795 they have learnt a thing or two :) Give up the mass produced muck; Budvar = no hangover (promise :))

I meant to post this the other day but didn't have time. The organisers responded to me, telling me that they could open the off-licences earlier on the Friday for those of us who want to buy cans when we arrive shortly after the gates open, which would be sound. Hopefully they'll keep their word on that!

The long-range weather forecast is looking pretty sweet now for next weekend. Bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Any tips for Castlepalooza in comparison to other festivals?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 smadcu

So is everyone basically saying don't bother smuggling in drink? 'Cause I've heard from people who went before that it's quite easy to do...Don't know whether to bother now...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 121212

hi, have 3 day camping tickets for sale 89 euro each, will sell both for 120, couple of people have pulled out. In cork area or up in tullamore from saturday

• Advertisement

I don't get this. It's a total false economy.

At most other festivals, you bring a stack of cheaply-bought booze down on Friday, and by the time Saturday night or Sunday comes, it's either turned into luke-warm soup, or gone altogether. At that stage, the only beer available on site is draught pints for a fiver, so you are left well and truly stung (or well and truly sober). The fact is, the drinks provided in the venue at Castlepalooza are half the price of EP - save for the fact that one is in a can and the other is in a plastic glass.

I reckon I'll spend €25 on 10 cans per day - the same as 5 pints at a gig in Whelans - and be completely sorted.

I've been to a lot of festivals, and there are some dreadful experiences to be had. This booze situation isn't one of them.

Advertisement