Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye development in puppy

• 16-03-2011 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hello, I am hoping to get some advice. My daughter has adopted a lovely puppy that is a lab/springer cross and is just six weeks old. He is a bit underweight but otherwise seems very healthy.
    We are slightly concerned about his vision - though I am hoping it is just that he is so young. His eyes are bluish and slightly cloudy. He appears to have some vision, but takes a long time to focus. I think he sees very close up, but has problems when you are about 5 or six feet away.
    He also is very bad at tracking - he can't follow something that moves at all.
    Could this just be a development thing, or should he have good vision at 6 weeks?
    It really doesn't matter, of course. The little guy has enough vision to get by even if he just keeps what he has. I would just like some guidance.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Hi there, I would get him checked out by the vet as soon as possible. Where did she get him from? At six weeks, he is way too young to be away from his litter and mother; he wouldn't even have his first vaccination yet. You'll have to keep him indoors for the next six weeks until he has his first vacs at eight weeks, and the second between 11 and 12 weeks to avoid him getting parvovirus or leptospirosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes this pups vision should be perfect at 6 weeks, that is if the pup is actually 6 weeks... Why do you have a pup thats only 6 weeks old? They shouldnt be away from the mother and litter for at least another 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katyt

Thanks folks. Yes, of course he is very young to be away from mother - it was a rescue situation. We will have him checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 katyt

Just to let anyone know if they find this thread on a search - this pup's underdeveloped eyes is not a problem at all. The vet says that puppies do indeed vary in how and when they develop. A vet will not be concerned until about 12 weeks.
    The little guy has been proving the vet correct in the last few days. His eyes are looking more clear, and he is tracking toys that are 5 or 6 feet away! He's doing great.

Advertisement