Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double versus triple glazing windows

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is it not similar to any other energy rating system? For instance A-rated houses can range from 0-75 kWh/sqm/yr
    :confused: that's my point it confuses the average consumer
    I think it does, more so than the u-value alone does. If you want to comply with Part L alone, just look for good u-values. But if you want to get a good BER, get an A-rated window, as it incorporates u-value, solar transmittance, and air leakage, and all are essential for a good BER.
    I agree that U-values are not the only consideration, but 'A rated' windows allow a variance from circa .8 to 1.5wm2k ???
    I don't dispute the benefits of 'A rated windows' from a BER rating perspective.. but the merits of this assessment process that is applied by the NSAI

Triple glazing does not start where double glazing ends, there is an overlap. Look at the DEAP (BER) Manual. Another reason to go by the window energy rating (WEP) and not get hung up on whether it is double or triple.
    yes there is an overlap..the OP wanted to know about Double v triple.. I was trying to explain (quiet badly) that double has its limits at circa 1.2wm2k and triple can continue down to below 0.8wm2/k. But I still fail to see your point. IMHO the WEP is just a half ass'd industry lead assessment method !!
    No need to do a spec - as long as the u-value gets you past Part L compliance for your glazed areas, just look for the window with the highest Rating Index when comparing prices, as per the link:
    http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Agrement-Certification/WEP-(Wind-Energy-Performance)-Scheme.aspx
    I disagree, by doing a spec the u-value, solar transmittance, and air leakage, the materials, the finishes, the ironmongery, the installation process, the overlap with wall insulation, the lifespan and required guarantees (but to name a few) can be written down and help to form a contract between the manufacturer/installer and customer. NSAI's scheme does not go far enough..
    Selective reading and not the full picture....look at the line in the paragraph above:
    "The WEP Certificate value combines the following characteristics to allow consumers to determine how well each window assembly will perform."
    absolutely i have been selective just as the NSAI have been 'selective' in their assessment methodology..
    True, but the Window Energy Performance (WEP) and the BFRC are big improvements than what we had - it gives the consumer a better handle on the true performance of the window and separates good products from mediocre products. It also saves everyone having to scramble for certification - if its on NSAI/WEP or BFRC then thats good enough.
    yes its an improvement but that's all...

IMHO the NSAI's scheme is flawed.. the 'A' rated scheme allows for vast differences in U-values and does not take a holistic approach methodology, for example the lack of embodied energy, lifespan or disposal considerations..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056324609
    mark2003 wrote: »
    Thats a good price for windows. You should ask previous customers that used both types of windows. You really have to decide what BER rating you want for the whole house. Its no point going for an A rated window and then decide go have C rated insulation or B rated doors. You could get a BER assessor to give you all the u-values for the materials of the house and that will determine the BER rating.Then you can easily decide what materials suit you.
    I rest my case.. 'A rated windows' just confuses consumers...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think it does, more so than the u-value alone does. If you want to comply with Part L alone, just look for good u-values. But if you want to get a good BER, get an A-rated window, as it incorporates u-value, solar transmittance, and air leakage, and all are essential for a good BER.

A window does not have to have a WEP certificate to access these values.
    Actually, referring to the test certificates is a better means of determing these values than the WEP cert.
    Triple glazing does not start where double glazing ends, there is an overlap. Look at the DEAP (BER) Manual. Another reason to go by the window energy rating (WEP) and not get hung up on whether it is double or triple.

again, not correct. Any credible manufacturer will make test certs available to a discerning customer, and these should be used as part if the decision making process.

therigthangle, you appear to be implicitly stating that a window without a WEP is somehow substandard to a window that has a WEP. please clarify if that is your opinion?

No need to do a spec - as long as the u-value gets you past Part L compliance for your glazed areas, just look for the window with the highest Rating Index when comparing prices, as per the link:
    http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Agrement-Certification/WEP-(Wind-Energy-Performance)-Scheme.aspx

i think bryan has dealt with this adequately above. I have been doing BER assessments for 4 years now and have never come across a situation where i have had to refer to a WEP cert. Actually, WEP seems to have a high majority of irish made windows listed, whereas when clients go looking for high spec windows, they tend to look towards teh continent. Thus, the test certificates tend to be the big equaliser when it comes to comparing windows, not a WEP.

True, but the Window Energy Performance (WEP) and the BFRC are big improvements than what we had - it gives the consumer a better handle on the true performance of the window and separates good products from mediocre products. It also saves everyone having to scramble for certification - if its on NSAI/WEP or BFRC then thats good enough.

if thats the view of a prospective customer, then they are significantly narrowing their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭therightangle

Hope this discussion isnt going too far off topic, but Id like to address some points.
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    1. A window does not have to have a WEP certificate to access these values.
    Actually, referring to the test certificates is a better means of determing these values than the WEP cert.

2. again, not correct. Any credible manufacturer will make test certs available to a discerning customer, and these should be used as part if the decision making process.

3. therigthangle, you appear to be implicitly stating that a window without a WEP is somehow substandard to a window that has a WEP. please clarify if that is your opinion?

4. i think bryan has dealt with this adequately above. I have been doing BER assessments for 4 years now and have never come across a situation where i have had to refer to a WEP cert. Actually, WEP seems to have a high majority of irish made windows listed, whereas when clients go looking for high spec windows, they tend to look towards teh continent. Thus, the test certificates tend to be the big equaliser when it comes to comparing windows, not a WEP.

5. if thats the view of a prospective customer, then they are significantly narrowing their market.

1. In my view, a WEP cert is easier to access than trying to find independently certified certificates for both solar transmittance and u-value for each window that you are trying to cost. Unless you have a very helpful salesman who actually gives you those up front and they are adequate for BER.
    Syd, you would know that some certs are in the wrong language, incorrect testing standard, incorrect testing body, etc.etc. but the purchaser doesnt know this. The selfbuilder who buys the windows can be easily misled without a WEP cert.

2. I take it you are referring to the ideal world.... :))

3. No

4. No one forces you to refer to it, but if its there and its easier....? Thats like saying you prefer to chase boiler certs instead of just looking up the HARP database. Imagine how many consumers would be getting ripped off if there was no HARP database for boilers? The WEP brings the same clarity of comparison between windows and makes the buying process easier for consumers, IMHO.

5. Possibly narrowing their market, but "narrowed" to over 60+ models of A & B rated windows and growing, all of whom are interested in supplying to Irish buyers as they have gone to the trouble of getting certified in Ireland.

Syd, Bryan, let me give you an example....and Id be surprised if you have not come across this already in your BER experience:

A cert from a large manufacturer down south is tested by an approved independent certifier for u-value and achieves 1.2 u-value. Job done you would think for the vast majority of consumers and many BER assessors.
    But the cert fails to mention the solar transmittance standard. So now you can throw that u-value in the bin as regards BER, the consumer has wasted their money, the assessor runs the risk of getting penalty points via audit, and the house runs the risk of not complying with Part L Building Regulations.

If the window had been on the WEP list....no worries.

sorry therightangle, but i must disagree

a quick search for WEP Windows shos that there are only 21 companies registered in the scheme.... all irish as far as i can see.

now compare that to the HARP database and tell me how many companies are on it???

in view of the shockingly low number of companies registered.. and the fact that there are no continental manufacturers, i must dismiss WEP as a standard barer when choosing windows.

As a professional designer, specifier and BER assessor, i will always ask for the BS EN 673:2011 , bs en iso 10077 (or whatever) test results.... im assured that the majority of companies i will be dealing with will have them, rather than a WEP certificate.

if they do not provide the certs, i either dont specify them, advise the client not to purchase from them, or inform the client theyve bought a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pcooney

I know who your talking about;).... but no:eek:, it was a dublin company. They came all the way to west cork. I had been researching/getting quotes/checking workmanship/installation for the last 6 months. It took them 3 days to fit 19 units, they really took care to get the window air tight to the ICF wall.

Any chance you could PM me details of who did your windows.

Thanks.

Hi syd.

Does this cert look ok, as was provided when I started asking about certs for u-values.
    Appreciate all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

sorry for jumping on the back of this thread, but there are some well informed subscribers here, thanks

I've received a quote for one window 2770 x 1530
    €550 for double glaze
    €850 for triple glaze

both with A rated glass, A rated frames and argon filled heat gain.

Is it worth it, is it good value, its a garage being turned into a room, so solid floor, but i will have thermaboard 92mm on the walls and the correct insulation in the ceiling.

pcooney wrote: »
    Hi syd.

Does this cert look ok, as was provided when I started asking about certs for u-values.
    Appreciate all your help.

Awaiting Syd's opinion....

In my opinion, it will not do on its own as it does not mention solar transmittance and the corresponding standard.

Be prepared to go through this iterative process with many suppliers - hence the value of just looking up the WEP list if you are a selfbuilder, or paying a professional like Syd to source windows/check certs for you - it does take time.

Of course, you may be fine if you find an assessor who will accept inadequate certification, but if he gets audited by SEAI, your BER will drop.

Stoner wrote: »
    sorry for jumping on the back of this thread, but there are some well informed subscribers here, thanks

I've received a quote for one window 2770 x 1530
    €550 for double glaze
    €850 for triple glaze

both with A rated glass, A rated frames and argon filled heat gain.

Is it worth it, is it good value, its a garage being turned into a room, so solid floor, but i will have thermaboard 92mm on the walls and the correct insulation in the ceiling.

If you care enough to go to the trouble for one window, check the WEP & BFRC to see if the window itself is "A-rated", or start asking for independent certification to the relevant standards...

• Advertisement

meant to post on this last week.

EN 14351-1 2006 is supposed to show more than just thermal transmittance. see here
    Depending on the jurisdiction, It may also show:
    water tightness
    air permeability
    winding loading resistance
    load bearing capacity.

pcooney, like most things in a new build.... you need to know what questions to ask in order to get best results. What they have supplied you with may be what you asked them for.
    Yes, as therightangle states above, you could limit yourself to using a WEP as a source where the information requested is give as part of the cert.

However, and interestingly, if you used the WEP as a source you wouldnt be able to get:
    1. a window with a comparable total u value as the 0.7 one youve linked to above
    2. any passivehaus certifed window!!!!

In my opinion, thats where the WEP scheme seriously falls down.. it simply hasnt the scope to be applicable to todays build industry.

Go back to the company and ask them from the test results as ive mentioned above.
    Also ask them for:
    the solar factor (g window)
    the solar transmittance

the emissivity factor of any coatings (low-e)
    the frame factor (ratio glazing to frame)

if they are not forthcoming them move on.

Hi Syd,
    I asked for certs as you suggested and got the following files. They seem to be above board and were very reasonably priced.
    What do you think of certs?
    What line of business are you in?

Thanks for all the great advice we get here from everyone.

pcooney wrote: »
    Hi Syd,
    I asked for certs as you suggested and got the following files. They seem to be above board and were very reasonably priced.
    What do you think of certs?
    What line of business are you in?

Thanks for all the great advice we get here from everyone.

hi, ill be honest, i have no idea what those certs are saying. they seem to be focusing on thermal transmittance alone and not the other factors i posted in the previous post. i assume theres an irish agent for this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

€10,745 for 1.1 u-value white pvc airtight sealed to double glazed windows for my house
    €12,569 for th 0.8 u-value triple glazed. i went for the triple glazed

Any chance you would pm me the companys name darragh. looking for 0.8 myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭caesarthechimp

1. In my view, a WEP cert is easier to access than trying to find independently certified certificates for both solar transmittance and u-value for each window that you are trying to cost..... No one forces you to refer to it, but if its there and its easier....? Thats like saying you prefer to chase boiler certs instead of just looking up the HARP database.

It's easy and clear to look up, but if the window isn't likely to be there, why bother with it? How much does it cost the manufacturer to be on the list?

Its a pity SEAI didn't get someone with language skills and an internet connection to compile a list like the Harp database which would show both U-values and solar transmittance (and even airtightness too if they wanted to splash out) for any windows with a valid EU cert. It's a bit much to expect individuals to trawl through technical data in foreign languages, over and over again.
    On the other hand, you can't expect an Austrian or Polish manufacturer to pay big bucks just to get on the NSAI list.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Attached is a test cert I got on my triple glazed window. Triple glazed only costed me £500 more than double with my supplier from Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orangeapple

Hi i know it was 3 years ago can you give me the name of the company in dublin you bought the windows off. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭NeptunesMoon

If anyone has the name of the company can you please PM me too!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement