Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Duties

Options
  • 16-03-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I am the only IT person in a large office. I have been informed that I am now required to also do regular office administration work. My contract has the standard employer's get-out-of-jail card, the last line of the Duties and Responsibilities section basically says "...and anything else we tell you to do." Is there any way I can get out of doing this work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

No..
    If it's in your contract to do other stuff then it's your job... I've had this out with employees before and it's a dead cert, refuse and discipline will follow.. I've even seen folks disciplined for dragging their feet doing their "other duties"

Make your best of it and if it's a real problem you should look round for full time IT work...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

If it's in your contact you have to do it.

However, you're not fully without rights. Should they insist (and I take it that they are) you have to make your view point very clear. That while on "admin" duties, you won't be taking calls on any IT matters, and vice versa, that an exact timetable for when you are expected to do both duties is defined and is stuck to by all. That way you have said you're not happy with doing admin, but seeing as you don't have a choice, you want your working day/week defined.

That's probably as good as it's gonna get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks for the replies. Loaded in favour of the employer as usual! :)

EDIT: Is there no limits at all? Would an employer be entitled to ask an employee to, say, clean the toilets or paint the roof or wash his car etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

shayser wrote: »
    EDIT: Is there no limits at all? Would an employer be entitled to ask an employee to, say, clean the toilets or paint the roof or wash his car etc etc?

There are limits, however, they are not well defined. Rule of thumb is duties that are consistant with both your training, your general duties, and your position within the company.

For example, an engineer would not be expected to cook the lunch in the cafeteria, nor the cook expected to design a skyscrapper. In the same line, an IT manager wouldn't be asked to clean the sewers, nor would a sewer cleaner be asked to install a firewall, as they are not consitent with their training or job specs.

Advertisement