Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house training a puppy

• 16-03-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

hi all I've rescued a puppy from the pound i reckon he's only 6 months old. I've bought puppy training mats and he seems to be doing he's no 1's on the mat and he's no 2's on the floor. i was wondering if any one had suggestions to get him to use the mat for he's no 2's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Bring him outside when he needs to go to the toilet and don't let him back in until he's done it.

Six months is too old to be messing with newspaper on the floor and all that, you'll have to get him in a good routine. Regular walking seems to do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bring him outside every half an hour and when he goes toilet praise him, give him lots of love.

If you see him go inside, stamp your foot or shout No!.

He's 6 months old, well capable of holding it in for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

At 6 months you don't need the puppy pads, just keep bringing him outside, and use lots of praise.
    One thing thats very handy is to use a word when he goes (do you business, or go business, etc). You can do this first as you see him going, followed by praise, then after a week or so try saying just before and praising, then after a couple of weeks he should get the message that its time to go, and do it when told.
    Very handy on a cold winters night;)

At his age some of the puppy rules may not apply, straight after waking, eating drinking or if he pauses for a sniff, is when he'll probably go. You'll pick up the signs very quickly, just remember if he goes indoors its because you weren't quick enough, don't scold him just bring him out more often.

Also for the night time I would highly recommend a crate, I used one with both my dogs and they were trained in a month or so.
    You can google info on crate training, but basically you make the crate into a nice cosy bed, a pleasant place, he won't want to pee in his bed so will hold it until let out. Then you let him out and get him outside as quick as you can. If he's small carry him as he'll be bursting.
    At first you may have to get up once during the night but he'll get the hang in a few days, it really helps. The crate should never be a punishment, only a positive place.
    Best of luck with your new friend, don't forget the pic's;)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I agree, at six months you need to establish a routine so that he gets into the habit of going outside to do his business. Being let out regularly, praise when he does well and a sharp rebuke will soon let him know the score, and before you know it, he'll be asking you to let him out.

Best of luck. It seems like a hard undertaking when you have to be watching them carefully but it pays off dividends in the end and is all part of their training process.

What kind of dog is he, OP?

Advertisement