Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile won't enable roaming without a deposit

Options
  • 16-03-2011 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

I couldn't believe my ears, "no we can't enable roaming without you paying a €60 deposit or paying 2 bills".

My problems with this are that I have provided proof of address, they have direct debit access, and I have already paid a €50 deposit when I signed up. I thought that sign up deposit was bad enough.

The ability to roam is something I take for granted from a mobile service; to have it withheld under the premise that I might fail to pay my bills is insulting.

Has anyone else come across this, is it standard?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 321 Verified rep eMobile: Steve

Hi SF80,

The roaming deposit is simply a security measure on our behalf if the account is active under 2 bill cycles. The €60 deposit is refunded to your a/c on the next bill also.

If you would like more information on our roaming procudures and policies please click on the below:

http://roaming.emobile.ie/billpay/

Hope this helps,

-Steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sf80 wrote: »
    Has anyone else come across this, is it standard?

It's standard with pretty much all operators when the account is new.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I can understand the logic Steve, but it doesn't sound right to me. There are existing legal processes in place to handle non payment of bills.

Where is the trust in and respect for the client in these deposit requirements? Right now I am in France without a mobile service and have lost any respect for eMobile. Again I reiterate that I already have 50 euro deposit being held by eMobile, why was this not enough?

sf80 wrote: »
    I can understand the logic Steve, but it doesn't sound right to me. There are existing legal processes in place to handle non payment of bills.

Where is the trust in and respect for the client in these deposit requirements? Right now I am in France without a mobile service and have lost any respect for eMobile. Again I reiterate that I already have 50 euro deposit being held by eMobile, why was this not enough?

Hi SF80,

I do sympathise with your situation however this is just a standard charge that is applied to new accounts. I would re-iterate that it is refunded to you on your next bill as a credit (if the roaming charges do not exceed it) and can be refunded back to your credit card/bank account as per your convenience.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

Steve,

I do understand (or should I say: I try to understand) your reasoning (standard procedure) but:
    - standard procedures must have been developed by somebody at some point. It's not God given. And at the point of development somebody must have decided that this is what they would do - not trust the customer. And by the way - standard procedures can be changed....
    - emobile (or Meteor) do apply 2% above standard rate on outstanding payments. Why don't you apply the same on deposits? You're keeping your customers' money, don't you? Why not be honest and offer the same rate for their money as you apply for yours...?

I don't really men to offend anybody nor provoke an argument - it's just my view of unfairness in treating customers.

Regards,

Adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

jor el wrote: »
    It's standard with pretty much all operators when the account is new.

thats not correct, with o2 and VF roaming is available immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

LH2011 wrote: »
    thats not correct, with o2 and VF roaming is available immediately

Correct.Same with 3.Only Meteor and eMobile require a deposit.And they are the same thing.

damanloox wrote: »
    Steve,

I do understand (or should I say: I try to understand) your reasoning (standard procedure) but:
    - standard procedures must have been developed by somebody at some point. It's not God given. And at the point of development somebody must have decided that this is what they would do - not trust the customer. And by the way - standard procedures can be changed....
    - emobile (or Meteor) do apply 2% above standard rate on outstanding payments. Why don't you apply the same on deposits? You're keeping your customers' money, don't you? Why not be honest and offer the same rate for their money as you apply for yours...?

I don't really men to offend anybody nor provoke an argument - it's just my view of unfairness in treating customers.

Regards,

Adam

Hi Adam,

I do understand your point however I can't really comment on policy to be honest. I would note the deposit is refunded on the next bill and in the case of PAYG the credit is imediately applied to the account.

-Steve

Advertisement