Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

Options
  • 16-03-2011 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

So anyone here doing the journalism course and how do you find it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

It has its good points and its bad points, much like any other course. Some stuff is great (radio, writing) some stuff is tedious but useful (shorthand, media discourse)

I'm also taking two electives; history and sociology which can be time-consuming.

The course director is fairly sound and the equipment is ok as well.

There is a certain amount of design involved, we use Adobe products.

You have to be pretty motivated to hang on in this course. There are a lot of opportunites available at the end, the course provides us with a varied skill-base.

Are you thinking of applying for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just wondering what kind of work is done on it do ye get work experience?
    Doing reviews? Placements?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jasonpkennedy

When it comes to the dynamics of the course, all the info you need to know is here. http://www.ul.ie/courses/JournalismAndNewMedia.shtml

I'm going into fourth year now and it's been a very enjoyable and worthwhile course. Be prepared to work and be willing to get things published in your own time as well. There are some great guest speakers brought in as well. Work experience and placement is dealt with in the summer and first semester of third year. When it comes to reviews, they're done in one semester. The main focus is on news.
    Hope this helps.

kilburn wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of work is done on it do ye get work experience?
    Doing reviews? Placements?

My class are just heading for co-op and erasmus time now. The majority of my class-mates are going for radio stations and local newspapers.

You are encouraged to get out there and report on events aside from the set coursework.

I just went and covered a St Patrick's day parade using college equipment, great fun!

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I am actually thinking of giving one a chance to practice reviewing and publishing on line rather than look for a self employed journalist

• Advertisement

kilburn wrote: »
    I am actually thinking of giving one a chance to practice reviewing and publishing on line rather than look for a self employed journalist

That sounds great, could you pm me some details?

Advertisement