Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flies in house

• 16-03-2011 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi
    We have PVC shash windows in newish house (3 years old) and are convinced files are getting in at mid section of slider. Windows are constantly closed.

Does anyone out there have experience of preventative measures one could take to stop flies entering house through sash windows.

I'm also conviced they are coming in via facia vents in attic and then entering house from there.

Any info / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

It is unusual for flies to be coming into a house especially at this time of year. You are more likely to see them trying to get out after laying up for the winter.

Another thought is dead mouse in the attic, etc.

If there is no draught coming in the window then the flies can hardly get in.

Is there a fly screen/gauze on your vent slider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭poppers

i heard eucalyptus oil is supposed to be a repellant to flies you could try putting some around the sash.

http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 34 risers

thanks for reply's folks,
    no dead mice in attic, you'll frighten d missus!!

we have 2 velux windows which throw light down on upstairs landing and I'm guessing that they may be coming in under flashing on roof slates also.

I guess flies are next to impossible to prevent getting into house and only way to control them is by using adhesive strips and scents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They sound like cluster flies. Common in newish builds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I had an outbreak of bluebottles in the house last week. Dunno if they were getting in from outside or what. Kept letting them out, then got the sticky sunflower squares to stick on the window. Caught 4 and they haven't been around since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Don't mean to alarm anyone but the harsh winter did drive rodents into buildings like never before. My utility became infested with flies together with a lousy smell. So up with the floorboards - to reveal a rotting rat carcass!! Not pretty. Got rid of it and no more flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bunty

They seem to be everywhere in our house. I'm finding half dead ones on most of our windowsills, even in our spare room where the window hasn't been open for months, I've no idea where they are coming from!

We use the Vapona window stickers but that just leaves dead flies everywhere...not nice with kiddies in the house. There are tones in the attic which I assume have nested in the insulation.

Is there anything you can set off in the attic to kill them in large numbers? Or is it a professional job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

bunty wrote: »
    They seem to be everywhere in our house. I'm finding half dead ones on most of our windowsills, even in our spare room where the window hasn't been open for months, I've no idea where they are coming from!

We use the Vapona window stickers but that just leaves dead flies everywhere...not nice with kiddies in the house. There are tones in the attic which I assume have nested in the insulation.

Is there anything you can set off in the attic to kill them in large numbers? Or is it a professional job?
    Get a UV zapper like in a butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bunty

Brilliant idea Carlow52. Many thanks for the suggestion, off to eBay to buy.

Advertisement