Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peripheral Neuropathy

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so can the Mods move please if necessary.

I have been suffering from tingling or electric shock feelings up and down my legs for the last year now. I had a fall before all this started and pulled a muscle in my lower back but docs don't think this caused it. I have had an MRI of brain and spine and bloods done which have ruled out some illnesses. There was one spot of demyelination which showed up in the scan(waiting to see a neurologist). So I'm left with being told I have periperal neuropathy for now. I am just wondering if others have experienced this tingling feeling in legs or other parts of the body and what you did to try and reduce it? Its so bad at times it feels like something is crawling all over my legs all day long. It is better when I rest or at night and worst after exercise. Its driving me crazy. I get told 'you are stressed' but I really don't think stress has caused all of this.

Any advice or related stories would be welcome while I wait for my appointment with neurologist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

gentle reminder folks, no suggestions as to possible cause please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you been given meds to help with the pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I used to be on Anti-Depressants at one stage and I had exactly what you describe as a side effect.
    They are known as brain zaps. I shudder when I remember them so I have pity on you OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is it worse when you are warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Not on any meds for pain. I do get pins n needles on hands after shower but don't think it's worse when I am warm. I have to relax when I get home from work to relieve it. Resting seems to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nodrogllig

I/ve had peripheral neuropathy since 1996 when I suffered from a severe bout of herpes simplex stomatitis in my mouth and throat. My hands and feet have never stopped burning with daily electric shocks since that time, and these can be worse at night. A few years ago, I got some homeopathic remedies from a doctor in Florida and these were helpful for a while, but I have finally become resigned to the fact that there is no cure for this.

I have to say, that the electric shocks have reduced in quantities, and things have improved since I take daily b complex and b 12 injections every six months. When I first attended a neurologist I was put on anti epileptic drugs and they made no difference, so today I just live with the reality that this is my lot. In a sense when its really bad, I just imagine it to be a way of telling me that I am alive and my nerve ends are highly sensitive, and ultimately all is just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Nodrogllig wrote: »
    I/ve had peripheral neuropathy since 1996 when I suffered from a severe bout of herpes simplex stomatitis in my mouth and throat. My hands and feet have never stopped burning with daily electric shocks since that time, and these can be worse at night. A few years ago, I got some homeopathic remedies from a doctor in Florida and these were helpful for a while, but I have finally become resigned to the fact that there is no cure for this.

I have to say, that the electric shocks have reduced in quantities, and things have improved since I take daily b complex and b 12 injections every six months. When I first attended a neurologist I was put on anti epileptic drugs and they made no difference, so today I just live with the reality that this is my lot. In a sense when its really bad, I just imagine it to be a way of telling me that I am alive and my nerve ends are highly sensitive, and ultimately all is just fine.

Thanks for reply. Its good to see you are staying positive. I can't help but feel all this is a result of the fall I had on ski slopes last year but MRI didn't show anything up in lower back I think. I would expect more people to have this if one can get it from falls like that. Might go back to physio I had initially for this complaint. I tried acupuncture but did not see much difference. If only there was not such a long wait to see a neurologist in this country of ours!

Advertisement