Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation cost

Options
  • 16-03-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I need to build a foundation for a shed that I am converting into gym,the dimensions are approx 25metres square and it will need to be about 9 inches deep ,can anyone tell me what amount of gravel and cement I need and what the cost may be
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

ruanbegBoy wrote: »
    Hi I need to build a foundation for a shed that I am converting into gym,the dimensions are approx 25metres square and it will need to be about 9 inches deep ,can anyone tell me what amount of gravel and cement I need and what the cost may be
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Are you building a raft type foundation including floor or strip footings ? what size block ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ruanbegBoy

Hi not sure what you mean ,basically I was going to dig a trench 9 inches deep and fill it with the cement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ruanbegBoy wrote: »
    Hi not sure what you mean ,basically I was going to dig a trench 9 inches deep and fill it with the cement

would seriously not recommend this. dig down more than that, about 700 deep, get a jcb in for a day, couple of hundred quid. foundations should be more underground than that, with rising blockwork of at least 2 courses. 25m2, assuming then its a 5m x 5m size, it would take 6m3 of concrete. its a standard enough load of readymix. and best off putting in some mesh too, one sheet should be enough. once the rising blocks are laid, you'll need to backfill. it would be best to import some stone, but you could probably get away with using the excavated material. but you will need stone anyway underneath the new floor slab

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I feel it will be cheaper and easier to place a one piece slab as floor and foundation.
    Clear all vegetation etc from entire area, You will need a 6" slab with additional thickness around the outside so place compacted stone to underside to required level and place reinforced slab.

If you go for strip foundation, you will still have to clear entire area, dig out trench for walls to a depth of about 750mm below floor level, then concrete the trench then build blocks then backfill, concrete again - much more work & organisation required this way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

mickdw wrote: »
    I feel it will be cheaper and easier to place a one piece slab as floor and foundation.
    Clear all vegetation etc from entire area, You will need a 6" slab with additional thickness around the outside so place compacted stone to underside to required level and place reinforced slab.

If you go for strip foundation, you will still have to clear entire area, dig out trench for walls to a depth of about 750mm below floor level, then concrete the trench then build blocks then backfill, concrete again - much more work & organisation required this way.
    Yes definitely quicker, you will only need around 4 m3 of concrete, and your only paying for one delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

Advertisement