Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

q6600 79 degrees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

lads i have a q6600 in a dell e520 with the stock heatsink/cooler

im gettin a little worried now as its hitting 79 degrees under load

i was wondering would these help,could use them both,one near the back but this one will be between 2 other cards and another near the front

http://www.maplin.co.uk/system-blower-28679

http://www.censuspc.com/Evercool-SB-F3-Fox-3-3.5-Inch-Front-Bay-System-Blower-Case-Fan-SKU-SB-F3-pr-9806.html

would these help me much?

No, what you probably need, given all the information you've provided, is a can of compressed air.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

yep, that's a little hot alright. Obviously your best bet would be to provide as much information as you can (gfx card, case model/dimensions) in any case you should be able to sort those temps out with a very modest investment.
    For now though I'd just take the side off the case. That should have a significant impact on your temps.

/edit

Taking the cooler off and applying good quality thermal compound would be the first logical step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

No, what you probably need, given all the information you've provided, is a can of compressed air.

i did clear the dust from the pc when i installed it but ill give it a blast
    CrinkElite wrote: »
    yep, that's a little hot alright. Obviously your best bet would be to provide as much information as you can (gfx card, case model/dimensions) in any case you should be able to sort those temps out with a very modest investment.
    For now though I'd just take the side off the case. That should have a significant impact on your temps.

/edit

Taking the cooler off and applying good quality thermal compound would be the first logical step.

thanks the gfx card is a gso9600 , the case is the stock dell e520

i applied arctic silver 5 when i installed it just after xmas,pretty sure i done it properly..

would the fans in my OP help in any way at all?

Could you please be a little more detailed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not really, a better CPU fan would be better but I don't know what models are even compatible with the stock BTX cooler :o

Remember to blast the insides of the PSU and its fan, the CPU cooler heatpipe tower itself and the (concealed) front grille as well as the CPU cooler fan and the insides of the PC to ensure maximum airflow through the system. Those BTX systems were a great idea on paper but leave little airflow redundancy once dust starts to pile up! :o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I'd be a little skeptical of those things.
    As a rule you want to suck air through the case rather than blow air into it.
    A rear mounted fan would be more effective.

Was that a P4 system originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

:eek::eek::eek: 79 degrees and thats not overclocked hell iv and i7 at 4.3 and it does,nt hit that on air not a chane of changing the heatsink stupidwg864-top-800.jpg dell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i applied arctic silver 5 when i installed it just after xmas,pretty sure i done it properly..

Did you apply a little pea sized amount of it, or a big thick toasty blanket?

CrinkElite wrote: »
    I'd be a little skeptical of those things.
    As a rule you want to suck air through the case rather than blow air into it.
    A rear mounted fan would be more effective.

Was that a P4 system originally?

Pentium D
    massy086 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: 79 degrees and thats not overclocked hell iv and i7 at 4.3 and it does,nt hit that on air not a chane of changing the heatsink stupid dell

yes i have been told that i cannot change the heat sink
    tman wrote: »
    Did you apply a little pea sized amount of it, or a big thick toasty blanket?

just a pea size amount

Questions.

What speed & voltage is the cpu running at?
    What are it's temps at idle? What is "under load" - stress testing or under heavy use?
    What are you GPU temps like?
    What are you using to measure the temps?
    Did you secure the cooler properly when you re applied thermal paste?

• Advertisement

Questions.

What speed & voltage is the cpu running at? 1994.85mhz / 1.3000v
    What are it's temps at idle? lowest i have seen is low 30's,at 42 now
    What is "under load" - stress testing or under heavy use? heavy use (gaming)
    What are you GPU temps like? around 60 degrees idle,went up to 100 though while gaming icon6.gif
    What are you using to measure the temps? core temp and hwmonitor
    Did you secure the cooler properly when you re applied thermal paste? yes

gonna take off the side case now to see if it helps a bit

gonna take off the side case now to see if it helps a bit
    check than the cpu fan is actually spinning. 79 is very high, but not unrealistically high for a cpu under stress with a layer of dust on the cooler.

k so i took the case off...i thought while im at it i may as well take out the heatsink and fan to clear off dust,there was a fair bit around the fan

put it back together and applied new arctic silver....

what was causing it to hit 79 degrees all along is now only hitting 59 degrees :)

i just idle tested it and it idled out at about 28 degrees,lowest i ever saw it....

looks like i have a result

thanks lads

I'm fairly sure it should be running at 2.4GHz not 2GHz... :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it should be running at 2.4GHz not 2GHz... :o

yeah it should....is this the frequency section on core temp you speak of?

edit,just checked it out ,i have Speedstep enabled,should i disable it?

EDIT : disabled speedstep and nothing changed

the frequency does fluctuate , 2261 mhz is the highest ive seen it

It should be enabled. Try running something intensive and checking CoreTemp again and possibly CPU-z as well.

Solitaire wrote: »
    It should be enabled. Try running something intensive and checking CoreTemp again and possibly CPU-z as well.

i ran a game and it went to 2394 mhz and stayed there so thats about right

That's fine then :)

EWBTE.png

lol unregistered

• Advertisement
Advertisement