Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurofen and Bloody Chemists

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

....or suffer from chronic pain.

Of all types of pain chronic pain is the last thing you want to treat with addictive drugs.

If you are using opiates to treat a recurring pain then it is inevitable you will become addicted to these drugs over time.

Of all types of pain chronic pain is the last thing you want to treat with addictive drugs.

If you are using opiates to treat a recurring pain then it is inevitable you will become addicted to these drugs over time.

Common misconceptions. Here is a paper that explains in detail the role of opiate and other analgesics in chronic pain management.

http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonline/Citation/2001/08000/Pharmacologic_Management_of_Acute_and_Chronic.3.aspx

From the same paper:

"Both practitioners and patients can have "opiophobia" (the patient's fear of opiate use, the physician's concern of "opiate addiction", and the pharmacist's cautions about dispensing the prescription) which leads to unnecessary underutilisation of opiates in pain management."

Sure, opiates have their unwanted side effects (such as dependence) but so do other analgesics such as NSAIDs (renal and GI dysfunction). To say opiates have no role to play in chronic pain management is not true. The purpose of NSAIDs is to reduce opiate use, not replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Actually there is a hierarchy of pain killers according to the level of pain. Opiates have a central role at the top end of this hierarchy, especially for older people for which NSAIDs can be extremely dangerous.

bleg wrote: »
    Actually there is a hierarchy of pain killers according to the level of pain. Opiates have a central role at the top end of this hierarchy, especially for older people for which NSAIDs can be extremely dangerous.

Depends on the level of pain. The problem with the likes of Nurofen plus is that many people who genuinely suffer from some type of recurring pain will always chose Nurofen plus over plain Nurofen which is often sufficent, hence developing addiction.

Obviously, in the case of palliative care, for example it's a different story. Or any type of severe chronic pain...opiates play an important role...but they must be prescribed and supervised by a Doctor..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Asked for them the other day and the chemist told me they dont stock them because of the codine! FFS like how many other harmful drugs to you have on your shelves behind you there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Jemmy wrote: »
    Asked for them the other day and the chemist told me they dont stock them because of the codine! FFS like how many other harmful drugs to you have on your shelves behind you there :rolleyes:

None as addictive as codeine without Rx.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

None as addictive as codeine without Rx.

Take a box of nurofen plus and smoke a box of fags for a week and see which you have more trouble giving up and then tell me why there is concern over codeine and not cigarettes when on top of the addiction you are nearly guaranteed an early death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Any chronic pain condition should be treated under the care of a doctor though, and then there should be no problem getting effective pain relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

yammycat wrote: »
    Take a box of nurofen plus and smoke a box of fags for a week and see which you have more trouble giving up and then tell me why there is concern over codeine and not cigarettes when on top of the addiction you are nearly guaranteed an early death.

Chemists don't sell smokes so I am not sure what the point of that comparison is.

Unless you are saying that you should be able to buy nurofen plus because tobacco is more addictive then codeine? Its not by the way.

By your logic, more people die from smoking then drink driving, so why would they lower the drink driving limit when you can still buy smokes easily in the shops.

No thanks.

• Advertisement

i-digress wrote: »
    Any chronic pain condition should be treated under the care of a doctor though, and then there should be no problem getting effective pain relief.

Exactly! The problem is with people thinking they know how to treat the pain themselves and instead of going to their GP, who can decide what is the best treatment for them, they end up buying these codeine OTC products and become addicted..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Lightshow wrote: »
    She was a fecking Chemist, not a bloody medical consultant.

What do you mean by this? A pharmacist is a medical professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4401462/Challenge-Accepted.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Challenge-Accepted-HD-1

reprazant wrote: »
    Unless you are saying that you should be able to buy nurofen plus because tobacco is more addictive then codeine? Its not by the way.

nicotine is far more addictive than codeine, half the population is addicted that might be an indicator.

nicotine is far more addictive than codeine, half the population is addicted that might be an indicator.

Codeine is in the same classification as heroin and Methadone.

The fact that there are more people addicted to tobacco does not mean that it is more addictive. It means more people smoke tobacco more regularly.

More people are addicted to caffeine then codeine. Is caffeine more addictive then codeine? No. More people regularly drink coffee then take a nurofen plus.

Codeine is in the same classification as heroin and Methadone.

nicotine is more addictive than heroin

So it would seem to be.

My apologises, I was mistaken.

You still cannot buy smokes in a chemist so why would a pharmacist care about that?

So it would seem to be.

My apologises, I was mistaken.

You still cannot buy smokes in a chemist so why would a pharmacist care about that?

It's the hypocricy of the whole situation, hand wringing over big bad 'drugs' and getting refused pain medication but being able to go next door and buy a litre of vodka and 100 fags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

they control what they CAN.
    technically they could ban alcohol or cigarettes or both but the tax the government get on it is huge which is probably one of the reasons they wont ban it. people would be up in arms over that. but thats a separate issue.

It's the hypocricy of the whole situation, hand wringing over big bad 'drugs' and getting refused pain medication but being able to go next door and buy a litre of vodka and 100 fags.

So basically, don't bother attempting to fix anything until more restrictions are put on drink and cigarettes?

Super logic.

• Advertisement

So basically, don't bother attempting to fix anything until more restrictions are put on drink and cigarettes?

Super logic.

no, have no restrictions on anything

Cigarettes and drinks for the kids!

Yay!

Can i have 12 packets of nurofen plus please? I hear if you mix them with gin, you get really drunk!

Cigarettes and drinks for the kids!

Yay!

Can i have 12 packets of nurofen plus please? I hear if you mix them with gin, you get really drunk!

lol obviously age restrictions would apply, but once you are an adult I think you should be able to consume anything you want.

That's your choice.. Who am I to stop you?

You'd probably be better off doing a cold water distillation on the tablets though, more bang for your buck and you can get a proper opiate high without the bad stuff associated with taking too many tablets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

heres something to add though: all those people who end up overdosing or with medical problems as a result of substance abuse (not just class a drugs) - their treatment costs money, whether its hospital care, tests, gp visits, medication etc - i wonder if thats one of the reasons they try to control what people have access to.
    you cant have no restrictions - doctors know how meds will interact with other meds and how theyll most likely affect an individual. a person doesnt know any of that.

and even OTC drugs can and do interact with other certain drugs. either other OTC drugs or prescriptive. more so the latter though in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

So what, let someone walk into a pharmacy, pick up a 14 pack of antibiotics for their niggly cold, some antidepressants because they've been feeling down and some blood pressure tablets for the hell of it? Sounds like a great plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Wickerman1

I went into my local pharmacy 'Abbey Healthcare' off Pottery Rd one evening last week and asked for a pack of Maxilief. A snotty bitch of a pharmacist told me that she could not sell me Maxilief as they only come in packs of 24 and it was their policy not to sell packs of 24 of anything! but I could have a 12 pack of solpedeine which costs roughly the same as 24 Maxilief.

At the same time the assistant was toting up a pack of 24 Solpedeine for somebody it appeared she knew personally.

very embarrassing experience, I was not even asked what I wanted them for!
    I have been going to this pharmacy for years with prescriptions for myself, the wife and kids but will never walk into the place again!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Armedocr

My local pharmacist refused to sell me a box of solpadine because i didn;t have a prescription...WTF

I'd just had a mole removed off my foot and about 8 stitches put in and even with a headed letter from the hospital advising me to take painkillers an hour after the surgery she refused.

Good thing my nan had plenty of prescription painkillers at home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

It's absolute bull sh&t they should either make them prescription only or go back to the way it was ,I pull my back out probably twice a year and usually use Nurefen
    but since this crap came in and I've to listen to all the reasons why I can't have it or would this be a better option
    I just buy painkillers off the net it's a lot easier less hastle and I'm nearly pain free the next day
    I know some of you will say you don't know what your getting ect ect....
    But all I know is they take the pain away ,the last time my back went I had to slide off the couch and was on all fours for about 20 minutes trying to get up

When I'm in that state the last thing I need is a shop assistant in my ear telling me parecetamol will do the job just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Might be helpful to someone:

I get very severe headaches at times, and would have tended to take solpadeine as I found them very effective ... I could swallow three times as much paracetamol etc. without much effect. (Note: it was my GP who recommended solpadeine in the first place.)

When the new regs. came in I got fed up arguing with pharmacists and tried a few other things, mostly without much effect.

However, I then tried the *soluble* Panadol Extra, and I don't find much difference between those and Solpadeine tbh.

The soluble ones are much more effective than the tablets though (for me, anyway, but I've heard others say the same) as they are absorbed into the system much more quickly.

Advertisement