Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nurofen and Bloody Chemists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Go up North and stock up in Sainsburys or any of the chemists for cheaper and no questions asked.

I await the stoning for not supporting local

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Buy black tar heroin. Less bother with the dealer, no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    I went into my local pharmacy 'Abbey Healthcare' off Pottery Rd one evening last week and asked for a pack of Maxilief. A snotty bitch of a pharmacist told me that she could not sell me Maxilief as they only come in packs of 24 and it was their policy not to sell packs of 24 of anything! but I could have a 12 pack of solpedeine which costs roughly the same as 24 Maxilief.

At the same time the assistant was toting up a pack of 24 Solpedeine for somebody it appeared she knew personally.

very embarrassing experience, I was not even asked what I wanted them for!
    I have been going to this pharmacy for years with prescriptions for myself, the wife and kids but will never walk into the place again!

No real need for the bit highlighted in bold, she's just doing her job afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Might be helpful to someone:

I get very severe headaches at times, and would have tended to take solpadeine as I found them very effective ... I could swallow three times as much paracetamol etc. without much effect. (Note: it was my GP who recommended solpadeine in the first place.)

When the new regs. came in I got fed up arguing with pharmacists and tried a few other things, mostly without much effect.

However, I then tried the *soluble* Panadol Extra, and I don't find much difference between those and Solpadeine tbh.

The soluble ones are much more effective than the tablets though (for me, anyway, but I've heard others say the same) as they are absorbed into the system much more quickly.

failing that panadol acti fast get to work pretty quickly or panadol night, just knock yourself out and be done with the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭04KY

keithm1 wrote: »
    It's absolute bull sh&t they should either make them prescription only or go back to the way it was ,I pull my back out probably twice a year and usually use Nurefen
    but since this crap came in and I've to listen to all the reasons why I can't have it or would this be a better option
    I just buy painkillers off the net it's a lot easier less hastle and I'm nearly pain free the next day
    I know some of you will say you don't know what your getting ect ect....
    But all I know is they take the pain away ,the last time my back went I had to slide off the couch and was on all fours for about 20 minutes trying to get up

When I'm in that state the last thing I need is a shop assistant in my ear telling me parecetamol will do the job just as good

Go to your doctor and get a prescription. I have back problems too, I go to my doctor and get a prescription for painkillers which can be renewed when I run out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I find it strange that a product with paracetamol is freely available no questions asked, when it is a drug that can be lethal to your liver with only the slightest overdose.

My mum was off work getting some nurofen the other day as there was a bout of flu going round my house. She asked for 2 boxes but the assistant said she could not sell her the 2 which would be 24 tablets, but could sell her a single box containing 24. She then proceeded to lecture my mum, who is a nurse, about the dangers of codeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

There are some seriously dumb people in this thread. If you can't get nurofen plus then you must be a bit simple. A typical conversation should go like :

Customer : Hello, I would like some nurofen plus please.
    Chemist / Cashier : Have you tried panadol or other pain killers yet?
    Customer : Yes I have been using them for the last day but am still in pain.
    Chemist : Are they for yourself? Would you like 12 or 24? (apparently some places only hand out 12? Never happened to me)
    Customer : Yes. 24 please
    Chemist : These contain codeine so you shouldn't take them for more than 3 days. Thanks.
    Customer : Thanks.

Also pharmacists would hand them out no questions asked if they could. However, if they did that, they would be liable for prosecution. So to be mad at the chemist behind the counter is completely nonsensical as it was not their decision to have to go through the charade every time they sell a packet of nurofen. The only people who get rejected are those who come in day after day looking for nurofen plus or solpadeine. Honestly as long as you weren't in there yesterday as long as you can answer a few simple questions you will get your tablets.

Also to the person going in for antibiotics and being denied nurofen plus you're a sandwich short. If you'd thought ahead you could have had the doctor prescribe you a pain killer and you'd only have to pay the levy. Or, alternatively, you could have given him a ring and had a prescription faxed down. But hey, that pharmacist was some bitch for adhering to the regulations.

Lollers wrote: »
    She then proceeded to lecture my mum, who is a nurse, about the dangers of codeine.

Yeah, she has too, it's the law. I doubt she knew your mum was a nurse but that is irrelevant anyway because she still has to go through the standard questions. If I was a pharmacist I wouldn't risk getting sued over asking a couple of questions each time somebody comes in for nurofen plus.

Lollers wrote: »
    I find it strange that a product with paracetamol is freely available no questions asked, when it is a drug that can be lethal to your liver with only the slightest overdose.

My mum was off work getting some nurofen the other day as there was a bout of flu going round my house. She asked for 2 boxes but the assistant said she could not sell her the 2 which would be 24 tablets, but could sell her a single box containing 24. She then proceeded to lecture my mum, who is a nurse, about the dangers of codeine.

I would regularly eat a box of panadol in a night my liver must be lovely. I'm not able for the twenty questions at the chemist for codeine products and would rather die from liver failure.

Kanoe wrote: »
    I would regularly eat a box of panadol in a night my liver must be lovely. I'm not able for the twenty questions at the chemist for codeine products and would rather die from liver failure.

Why are people comparing panadol to codeine products? Codeine is addictive, that's the difference. Panadol, like absolutely everything else in the world, is bad when not used appropriately. Just because you they're both pain killers doesn't make them comparable in this situation. You can overdose on anything.

(not aimed at above poster btw, just the general comparison going on in thisss heeere thread)

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    Why are people comparing panadol to codeine products? Codeine is addictive, that's the difference. Panadol, like absolutely everything else in the world, is bad when not used appropriately. Just because you they're both pain killers doesn't make them comparable in this situation. You can overdose on anything.

(not aimed at above poster btw, just the general comparison going on in thisss heeere thread)
    someone was suggesting other products for helping with pain where codeine isn't available. Then someone else highlighted the danger of paracetamol, which in large quantity's can be damaging to the liver, not in an intentional overdose way but as simply as taking more than the recommended dosage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Was in Newry last week and went into poundworld where I saw neurofen plus 12 packs for £1 right beside deodorant and soap. Ridiculous country this is. A few miles up the road you can get it in a pound shop but here you nearly have to have a note from your doctor to buy it in a chemist.

Next time I have a bad headache I'll just go to the local pub and drink 10 whiskeys in a row no questions asked. Slightly more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I dont understand why there is such a problem. A regulation has been brought in regardless and it has to be followed. I have gotten Nurophen+ in Boots without issue since the regulations have been brought in. Yes I had to talk to a pharmacist about it, why I needed the nurophen etc but I was nice and polite despite my pain and got them without hassle. The regulations are here to stay and the pharmacist has every right to refuse sale of the drug if she/he so deems. Last I checked, we are no longer part of the UK and NI so it doesnt matter if you can get the pills for a dime a dozen up there, you cant here so I dont see the point in whinging about it. Being polite will get you what you need.

I have also found that alternative suggestions from the pharmacist have worked to almost the same degree. The manufacturers of nurophen have come up with a new alternative of a one dose tablet that is stronger then plain nurophen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

my mam picked me up 12 nurofen plus last week.
    Id seen this thread before and asked her did they give them to her no hasstle.
    she said it went like this.

Her: 12 nurofen please

Chemist: are they for you?

Her: No. my 19 year old son. he got his tongue pierced :rolleyes:

Chemist: Oh yeah here, the codine will be good for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

penguin88 wrote: »
    So what, let someone walk into a pharmacy, pick up a 14 pack of antibiotics for their niggly cold, some antidepressants because they've been feeling down and some blood pressure tablets for the hell of it? Sounds like a great plan.

Works in Spain !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

msg11 wrote: »
    Works in Spain !
    Last time I was in Spain, they were getting more rule-bound as well.

Probably not as much as here as yet, sure, but they're gradually tightening up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

jiltloop wrote: »
    Ridiculous country this is. A few miles up the road you can get it in a pound shop but here you nearly have to have a note from your doctor to buy it in a chemist.
    Where it says 'nearly', read: don't.

Iboprofen (incl Nurofen) is still easily available from a chemist's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Health Canada expert advisory panel says ibuprofen should go behind-the-counter at pharmacies due to new evidence showing that at prolonged high doses its risk of cardiovascular incident is comparable to prescription COX-2 drugs, such as rofecoxib (Vioxx).

There are reasons why Ibuprofen should not be so easily available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

reprazant wrote: »
    Cigarettes and drinks for the kids!

Yay!

So you are implying that its fine for adults to be able to take cigarettes and alcohol and become addicted to them and suffer the negative health consequences, but its not ok for kids to do so? Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Emm its just typicaly irish and yet another example of how stupid that country has become:mad:

Last time i was there i was at a friends wedding.. and i always bring back a load of solphadine as i find them very good for any pain and i cant get them here.. they would not sell me any more than one box!! so i had to run to every pharmacy in the town bloody crazy:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Can you still get solpedeine plus (codeine paracetemol and caffeine) in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

I just got a prescription for painkillers today for the first time in my life. 30mg of codeine! Fcuking read it and weep lads. Gonna have an awesome buzz tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wickerman1 wrote: »
    I went into my local pharmacy 'Abbey Healthcare' off Pottery Rd one evening last week and asked for a pack of Maxilief. A snotty bitch of a pharmacist told me that she could not sell me Maxilief as they only come in packs of 24 and it was their policy not to sell packs of 24 of anything!

So here you are trying to smear the pharmacy by calling an assistant in a pharmacy you name a snotty bitch?
    Cop on yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

I went in to Boots crippled with back pain and asked for Nurofen plus, when she refuse to sell them to me I gave her the prescription for Morphine I got off the doctor 5 minutes earlier. The look on her face was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I went in to Boots crippled with back pain and asked for Nurofen plus, when she refuse to sell them to me I gave her the prescription for Morphine I got off the doctor 5 minutes earlier. The look on her face was priceless.

she was probably horrified to think that you'd want to take both of them together:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Pharmacists are glorified shop keepers on a power buzz.

End of.

she was probably horrified to think that you'd want to take both of them together:rolleyes:

I wasnt. I was going to try the Nurofen first and if that didnt give me any relief, I hit the top shelf stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

Caoimhín wrote: »
    I wasnt. I was going to try the Nurofen first and if that didnt give me any relief, I hit the top shelf stuff.

So how was the morphine? I've heard its pretty fcuking amazing.

So how was the morphine? I've heard its pretty fcuking amazing.

Took away the pain but made me sleepy, constipated, itchy and silly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

Only ever had the third degree once. It was a manager in Boots and I was trying to get solpadiene.

She kept asking me personal questions with a line of people behind me, eventually just got panadol and left.

Advertisement