Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying second hand

• 17-03-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm haunting adverts.ie, ebay etc at the mo. There are some good bargains on Canon 450's, probably because the new one is coming out, but what should I look for when buying second hand to avoid being sold a pup?

I looked through FAQs and through old posts so hope I haven't riled anyone by asking the same question that has been asked eleventy billion times.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 damiansynnott

Buying off genuine photographers might be a good idea.

What I mean is that buying off ebay is you don't know who your buying off. You could try photographyireland.net there you will find cameras/lenses sold by photographers who you would think would of taken care of their equipment.

Also a lot of camera stores in Dublin have websites and they list used equipment and usually they offer warranties with any purchases. Somewhere like berminghams or conns?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

I'm a bit strapped really though Damien, and I'm only a noob, so I'll have to go second hand. That's why i was thinking a 450, still very good camera. Can you still get them new in the big camera shops? I din't think you could.

EDIT please ignore my post I only read your last paragraph properly now. Thanks for the suggestion I will most probably go that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 damiansynnott

Oh I meant second hand in the camera shops.

Just checked and berminghams have a mint 450D + kit lens listed for a very reasonable price

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=4923

Tht's great.
    I'm assuming you get the battery pack with that.
    Probably need to get the card and case yourself.

It'll be ages before I get to Dublin though. But I'll be keeping an eye on the shops, thanks for the suggestion Damian. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

have a look at ffordes too I have bought off them in the past and they seem pretty reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I've bought and sold a good bit of gear to date on adverts.ie, not had one problem. Always meet the seller in person so you can inspect the gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I think the 450d is perfect for someone who wants a powerful DSLR at a good price. You should be able to get one on adverts.ie for 280-300.

Personally I wouldn't go near that 450d from Birminghams for 469. That sort of money will get you a 40d (better build and burst mode) or 500d (more pixels and shoots video) on adverts.ie.....

canon.png

I've bought and sold a good bit of gear to date on adverts.ie, not had one problem. Always meet the seller in person so you can inspect the gear.

That's what I am nervous about. Unless it was strapped together with masking tape it would look fine to me, because I don't know the signs to look for, or what questions to ask, tbh.

Tht's why the security of the shop is attractive to me even though I could do without the extra expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I only know the basics to watch for myself. You are always taking some risk buying used, your instinct is the top tool here. Apart from the gear itself you're judging the seller too. When you do ask questions are they trying to worm around the answers, "it's fine apart from" or "you just have to make sure you hold this bit or it'll fall off" :D watch for responseslike that. For cameras you do need to know a few things to check. Remove the lens, look closely at the sensor, check for dirt or spots. Take some shots with it, check the LCD, look for focus issues, spots, did the lens make a funny noise? Check for scratches that might indicate a fall or bang. I'm not sure what else, but I'd be checking these things even in a shop on used gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

with adverts you can check the sellers buying & selling history (did they buy what they're selling recently), also their boards history if they have one (e.g. wouldn't be buying this nikon D5000 if it was for sale.... :D )
    Big advantage with adverts is you can meet in person (check out the goods) and save on the postage costs

• Advertisement

Thats just the job CageyOne, exactly the kind of things I need to know.

Thanks ll for your responses.

Advertisement