Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician in Oz needs help

Options
  • 17-03-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi all Im a 21 year old Electrician from Dubin currently in Sydney but travelling up towards brisbane next week. I served my 4 years as an apprentice back home but fas wont give me my craft cert because i was out of work and took a job with a sparks that was not a registered fas trainer. I have completed all my off-site phases and have all references from my employers that state the dates i worked and all the stuff I did. I am just wondering can I still get recognised and licenced to work over here and where is the best place to go to get recognised and work?
    Im on a 1 year whv and its up in october and I really want to stay here via residency or sponsorship can anyone give me any advice on this whats the best thing to do?

I hope someone can help.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

do your fruit picking and get a 2nd year, it can take up to 6 months to actually get your license.

Apply for your trade recognition cert in oz first you might not need you cert from fas if you have good enough references and other proof of employment. Search the gov website for trade recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

In order to get your trade recognised you need to either complete a 4 year apprenticeship or have 7 years experience in the trade. Without your trade cert it might be difficult to prove you have completed your apprenticeship. You could try ringing fas again to see if there is any way of getting your trade cert. Another option would be get a data licence over here (ACA licence) and try to get experience with a company that does power and data and try to get sponsored as a comms tech. It might be a long shot but it worked for a mate of mine who was in the same boat. As Johnny said get your second year visa because it will give you more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭padrepio

yeah Id say do your rural work - not necessarily fruit picking you might get out to the mines if your lucky - and if will buy you some time.

In the meantime ask your old pair to contact your local newly elected TD to try and resolve the FAS issue. you never know what might happen ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darrendoyle

I did complete my 4 years but the idiots in FAS are saying they have no records of my employment and im 50 weeks short. I personally hand delivered a change of employer form to the fas training advisor and he said he was going to go meet with my employer but never did. When I was in phase 6 as a 4th year the same guy tried to pay me 3rd year money by saying his records had me short on time again but I showed him p45, p60 and company letters etc and he apologised. Its a headache for me and I just dont know what to do Im qualified like and just wanna get set up over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

I did complete my 4 years but the idiots in FAS are saying they have no records of my employment and im 50 weeks short. I personally hand delivered a change of employer form to the fas training advisor and he said he was going to go meet with my employer but never did. When I was in phase 6 as a 4th year the same guy tried to pay me 3rd year money by saying his records had me short on time again but I showed him p45, p60 and company letters etc and he apologised. Its a headache for me and I just dont know what to do Im qualified like and just wanna get set up over here

Im in a similar situation, Ive just finished my phase 6 bricklaying and was told by FAS i have to work up ALOT of weeks to get my cert.

I was in phase 4 this time last year and i was getting phase 4 money , about 500 a week.This year i was getting PHASE 2 money ,310 a week.

I showed the pay section the appropriate documents but they told me that the best they could try and do was 'place me on a work scheme' after phase 6!

I also hand delivered a change of employer form , and when i didnt hear anything back a week later- i rang to hear that they couldnt find it, was i sure i gave it in? ;P

Im stuck here in with no work and no way of getting my weeks up anytime soon.

But glad to see you got sorted in the end!

• Advertisement

Im not sorted though because I still have no craft cert and your man from fas told my da that he cant do anything about it so im stuck here in oz with no formal way of getting recognised as a tradesman and making a life over here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Im not sorted though because I still have no craft cert and your man from fas told my da that he cant do anything about it so im stuck here in oz with no formal way of getting recognised as a tradesman and making a life over here

You could try ringing TRA in Melbourne who deal with trade recognition in Australia. Their number is 1300360992. They'll be able tell you what you need to do. You should see if your old boss can do anything for you. He sounds a bit dodgy though if he's not a registered fas trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

You can have your skills assessed as far as I know an get issued with TRA papers. Contact some visa agencies or the TRA

Thanks lads I called some place that deals with artc yesterday and she said that I can apply for it but it may be unsuccessful. My old boss isnt dodgy he is just an sparks on his own he never trained apprentices before thats why he isnt registered with fas.

Advertisement