Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What goes with lemon drizzle cake??

Options
  • 17-03-2011 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm hosting a dinner party for a few friends and am serving lemon drizzle cake as a dessert. I'm looking for some advice on what to serve with it? Think the slices are going to look a bit bare on the plates!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

A raspbery coulea would work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I use a lemon drizzle cake recipe that calls for blueberries and it's delicious. Lemon and blueberry work great together, so maybe a blueberry coulis or just some warmed blueberry compote?
    I don't think I'd put a cream, custard or ice cream with something as heavy as a drizzle cake.

Can't go wrong with fresh fruit though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah blueberry coulis or compote would be lovely, classic combination.

For the love of God don't go throwing raspberry coulis at it for the sake of it, I don't know why that has become the dessert thing du jour, even when it doesn't go with the dessert.

Spadina wrote: »
    Yeah blueberry coulis or compote would be lovely, classic combination.

For the love of God don't go throwing raspberry coulis at it for the sake of it, I don't know why that has become the dessert thing du jour, even when it doesn't go with the dessert.

+1 on the raspberry coulis front. It's fine if you have a chocolate dessert as deep luscious chocolate bodes well with fresh tart raspberries, but try avoid as much as possible when trying to impress.
    People tend to just SLAP it on everything. I only ever use raspberry coulis with a new york cheese cake as the tartness cuts through the dense cake.

I got an apple pie with raspberry coulis there a few months back. That was a sad, sad day. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If it's moist enough, I'd just serve it on its own. Unless you just wanted to pop a few raspberries on for decoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 cbds

Thanks a million for all the suggestions! The blueberry compote idea sounds great so will give that a go I think!

cbds wrote: »
    Thanks a million for all the suggestions! The blueberry compote idea sounds great so will give that a go I think!

All the best with it! A few seconds in a hot pan with a drop of sugar and lemon juice should do them fine, you don't even need to cook them long!

Let us know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

blueberries sound delicious

would say on the raspberry coulis front - wouldn't say that it's just slapping it on a random desert. lemon and raspberry is a fairly traditional pairing.

I also really like a little mascapone creme fraiche on the side of lemon drizzle cake.

Advertisement