Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who would you like to see Barca meet in the quarter finals most?

• 17-03-2011 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

There are 7 teams they can play against, with some mouth watering prospects abound. Others no so spectacular. Or else you want your team to avoid Barca with a 10 feet pole.

Vote though! The match I want most is Barcelona-Manchester United, it would be epic in proportions. Barca beat Man U in the final a couple of years back, but where knocked out by them in the knockout stages too so it would be far from a foregone conclusion. Both attack minded sides so very unlikely to be a dull affair.

Who do you want to see Barca play in the quarter finals? 129 votes

Manchester United
    0% 0 votes
    Real Madrid
    30% 39 votes
    Chelsea
    23% 30 votes
    Inter Milan
    17% 23 votes
    Tottenham
    0% 0 votes
    Schalke
    24% 32 votes
    Shaktar Donestk.
    3% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Real madrid or man u but for please god not chelsea, AGAIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

United are not attack minded in Europe, especially against Barca. When United beat Barca they just sat back and let them fart about with the ball in midfield and then Scholes produced a wonder-strike to win it. Certainly wasn't end-to-end stuff.

To answer the question. Madrid, please. Let one of them be knocked out 'cause I think they're the strongest teams left in the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I voted Chelsea, 10 minutes ago I thought otherwise about our chances but ara what the heck, defensively we can take what they throw at us, plus we have options there if needs be. Plenty of muscle to stifle them in midfield provided Essien and Ramires bring their "A" game over the course of 2 games. Malouda is no longer our only wide man as Yuri is coming good, rumours are Yossi is nearing return aswell. Anelka and Torres up front, a bench that could boast the best of them and boom, we got ourselves a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

United. To see United getting raped would make me very happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Morzadec wrote: »
    United. To see United getting raped would make me very happy

+1:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I actually think Shakhtar could do a job on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

CorkMan wrote: »
    Both attack minded sides so very unlikely to be a dull affair.

I think Utd would make it as dull as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

In terms of them being beaten I think Chelsea are best equipped to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Chelsea. I think Chelsea would beat them over two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

chelsea to reap vengeance upon them for having weasle'd there way past them previously two years ago and man u not having to play them at this stage of the competition but rather on the same stage they faultered at 2 years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Chelsea, because people seem to think they are the team Barca would most like to avoid. Chelsea have been dire this season, think we could tonk them tbh. Avoid Madrid and Utd please.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea, with Torres scoring the decider at Camp Nou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Anyone but United. Madrid for the craic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think Barca v Spurs could be an absolute cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Heart says Chelsea, get the hardest team out of the way first.

Head says Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Voted Tottenham because I think it'd be a great game to watch. Tbf there's a lot of potentially great games for the quarters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

spurs.
    to shut berba up for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Chelsea - to exercise demons from season before last.
    Inter - to exercise demons from last season.
    Man. United - because it's always nice to see them beaten.

Spurs would be interesting in a way aswell, if they keep their fearless attitude. Probably still be beat though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think Spurs vs Barcelona could be a very good match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Spurs or United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I really am glad you guys don't get to choose who they play :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why would spurs be a very entertaining match? Arsenal are probably the best footballing side to watch in England and they got destroyed by Barca. Spurs would be even worse, 11 men behind the ball and hope to nick one on a corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Why would spurs be a very entertaining match? Arsenal are probably the best footballing side to watch in England and they got destroyed by Barca. Spurs would be even worse, 11 men behind the ball and hope to nick one on a corner.

thank god for thursday europa league footie eh chucky , we get to see the pool today:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Spurs wouldnt try to play without a recognised striker for 20 minutes

Spurs are more entertaining than Arsenal IMO - more dynamic attacking style, worse defence, somewhat fearless/naive.

I don't think anyone is saying they're a better footballing side. It's not the case though, that being a better footballing side means you are more entertaining.

Spain at the last WC for example - unbelievable footballing side, but not the most entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

For me, i'd like to see them draw Spurs just to see Spurs getting battered by a proper team. Barca would make bits of that Spurs back 4.

#15 wrote: »
    Spurs are more entertaining than Arsenal IMO - more dynamic attacking style, worse defence, somewhat fearless/naive.

I don't think anyone is saying they're a better footballing side. It's not the case though, that being a better footballing side means you are more entertaining.

Spain at the last WC for example - unbelievable footballing side, but not the most entertaining.

I must be always watching a different Spurs. More entertaining then Arsenal? Disagree. Look at their 2nd round against AC, hardly a entertaining thriller. Spurs sat back in both games and offered very little going forward really. They got their goal on the counter in San Siro and sat back at home protecting the league. I'd expect nothing more of the same against Barca. The only reason I'd want to watch a Barca Spurs match would be for goals but as a contest it would be last on the list as they'd get smashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I must be always watching a different Spurs. More entertaining then Arsenal? Disagree. Look at their 2nd round against AC, hardly a entertaining thriller. Spurs sat back in both games and offered very little going forward really. They got their goal on the counter in San Siro and sat back at home protecting the league. I'd expect nothing more of the same against Barca. The only reason I'd want to watch a Barca Spurs match would be for goals but as a contest it would be last on the list as they'd get smashed.

same way they sat back against the reigning european champions at WHL not so long ago eh?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Liverpool fans really resent Spurs being in the CL and doing well at it don't they?:pac:

More entertaining then Arsenal? Disagree. Look at their 2nd round against AC, hardly a entertaining thriller. Spurs sat back in both games and offered very little going forward really. They got their goal on the counter in San Siro and sat back at home protecting the league.

I don't think one tie means that they are not an entertaining team.

If you just don't like their style, then fair enough, it's a personal preference.
    I like the way they play though, they've got a good mix of creativity and athleticism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

United. Hope it's a Barca v Madrid final. Some crack.

BERBA wrote: »
    same way they sat back against the reigning european champions at WHL not so long ago eh?:rolleyes:

That was group stages, completely different to the knockout stages.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Liverpool fans really resent Spurs being in the CL and doing well at it don't they?:pac:

Hardly. I hope Spurs get back in again this year. City making the Champions league is a far more horrible prospect as once they get in they will be very hard to dislodge. Pretty sure every Liverpool fan will want Spurs getting the 4th spot ahead of City and Chelsea.

#15 wrote: »
    I don't think one tie means that they are not an entertaining team.

If you just don't like their style, then fair enough, it's a personal preference.
    I like the way they play though, they've got a good mix of creativity and athleticism.

That one tie tells us what their style and tactics will be when faced with a tough opposition in the champions league though. They might be very entertaining away against Wolves or someone like that but for some reason people seem to think they will go with the same tactics against Barca when they didn't do it against a much weaker team in AC. All spurs would do against Barca would be stick 11 men behind the ball and with their defence I think the tie would be over after the first leg, at least with United/Chelsea they have much better potential keeping a clean sheet and making the 2nd leg worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

flahavaj wrote: »

Not all Liverpool fans dude but yep goes without saying! LOL also at the ABU politely put "raped" comments. Sure everyone knows United are too jammy and sickening lucky to get "raped" by Barcelona.

I'd love to see Real Madrid get them and Ronnie gets his finger out and sends them packing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Trilla wrote: »
    Not all Liverpool fans dude but yep goes without saying! LOL also at the ABU politely put "raped" comments. Sure everyone knows United are too jammy and sickening lucky to get "raped" by Barcelona.

I'd love to see Real Madrid get them and Ronnie gets his finger out and sends them packing.

Short memory? United got "raped" in Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I hope it will be Barca v Real and Man Utd v Chelsea.

That way at least 2 annoying clubs with a totall of €2 billion dept are gone.

And no, i am not a bitter Arsenal fan.
    Barca plays brilliant football but the behaviour of players like Alves and Busquets make me sick.
    And clubs with €400/500 million depts shouldnt be allowed to exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

In the interest of Football i'd prefer if Barca didn't have to eliminate Real or United this early in the Champions League.

I would how ever love to see Barca extract some revenge on Inter. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    In the interest of Football i'd prefer if Barca didn't have to eliminate Real or United this early in the Champions League.

I would how ever love to see Barca extract some revenge on Inter. :pac:
    Inter got lucky in the semi last year, Mourinho tried similar tactics with Real Madrid at the Camp Nou and got hammered 5-0. Over the two legs Barca averaged 71.5% possession to Inter's 28.5%. In the return leg at the Camp Nou Inter didnt have one attempt at goal. This tie played 100 times would see Barca win 99 of them but Inter just got lucky playing a game of penalty box siege.
    The three weakest teams left are Spurs, Schalke, Shakhtar and with United's luck I wouldnt be surprised to see them draw Schalke in the 1/4's to play the winner of Spurs v Shakhtar for a place in the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

id love to see shackter vs shalke, spurs vs chelsea, madrid vs utd and inter vs barca

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its actually a tough one.
    I think Madrid are the only team there that could knock them out but it'll be a dreary game if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,528 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The poll was always going to be topped by United.
    All the Liverpool fans around these parts (and Ireland in general) would love to see United get mauled by the "almighty" Barca.

I went for Madrid just for the intensity of their rivalry.
    Shakhtar Donetsk would be another interesting side for them to face.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Wouldn't mind seeing Chelsea taking another beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

barca and spurs would offer up plenty of goals i reckon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd rather Barcelona go under the boards radar again and avoid English clubs altogether, but I'm biased. Not Shakhtar though. So Schalke or Inter and picked managerless Schalke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Dempsey wrote: »
    Spurs wouldnt try to play without a recognised striker for 20 minutes

Didn't they play almost an entire game against Villa this season without a striker when Defoe was sent off? Red cards change plans, sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Spurs meh! I'd love to see them win it in a strange sadist sort of way.

Barca Chelsea for me, but anybody barring Schalke and Donetsk really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

126 votes and not one for Shakhtar :o

EDIT: Somebody voted Shaktar. *waves fast angrily in air* Damn you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

CorkMan wrote: »
    126 votes and not one for Shakhtar :o

Why would anyone want to see Barca play Shaktar? The glamour ties were obviously going to be vs the English sides or an El Clasico. Hardly that surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

eZe^ wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to see Barca play Shaktar? The glamour ties were obviously going to be vs the English sides or an El Clasico. Hardly that surprising.

I know, but still the amount of people that voted and not once person did vote Shakthar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Quiz question: How many different variations will we see Shakhtar Donetsk be spelled in the coming weeks?:)

Why would anyone vote for Shakhtar? Rivals want each other to face them, neutrals might want Real and I'd guess at no more than a rare few Barca fans (myself included) who would choose the tie either - as is borne out...

• Advertisement
Advertisement