Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please take the time to read any help would be appreciated

• 17-03-2011 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone could help me with any advice with the following situation.
    I went for a job interview last Tuesday, during the interview I was told I would be on tills on a flexible contract but that it would be more than likely well over 25 hours per week but because the contract was "flexi time" that wouldn't be guaranteed but as I understood it the least I would recieve was 25hours per week but it would be spread out over 5days. I went to my local social welfare office the next day and found from them that I would need to sign off because it was over five days rather than three days which is what they consider part time. I also went to the community welfare about my rent allowance and they said I would need to go in every week with my pay slip but that once I don't go over 30hours per week I should still recieve some sort of payment from them. I came home worked it all out and figured if I got the job it would be worth taking because I have been unemployed for a long time and to have a job would be brilliant. This is where it gets tricky. I got the job. I started yesterday for an induction day when I was told I would be on the deli counter which was fine with me, so I went ahead gave them my bank details and signed the contract. Today was my first official day and I've found out today that there are two fulltimers on the deli which means that the hours I'll get will be between 16 and 21 and spread out over 5days so I'll still have to sign off. The company doesn't accommodate for part time (20hrs over 3days) as they say they need their staff to be 100% flexible. The hours that I now have on the deli won't be enough to live on as I can just about survive on the 188.00 euro I receive at the moment. So, now I get to my question. Can I still turn this job down because I won't be making enough money to survive with the hours I'll be on in fact I'll lost about 45 per week and not lose my social welfare for 9 weeks. What is the best way to approach them with my situation? Also, I have yet to declare that I have received a job does this mean I am in serious trouble???
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You do not say what your personal circumstances are... are you single/married/cohabiting/have a child/children

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How many hrs were on the contract you signed? your mimimum hours have to be on your contract. Zero hrs contracts wEre abolished in 1996. Did the say a 15 hr or 20 hr contract? the minimum shift is usually 4 hrs sp you may only end up working 3 days per week so you could claim jsa for the other days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ILOC

Hey thanks so much for the replies. My circumstances are that I am single, female no children sharing a rented house. The contract said my minimum working hours were 15 per week. I was told regardless of that in my interview it would be at least 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dublinboy99

You wont be in trouble for not declaring the job. Give up the job and that will be the end of it. A lot of people in same sitution as you and the problem is that because you work a few hours every day you lose your dole. Best to get a job that is for 3 days or less and then you get dole for rest of the week (dole is based on a 6 day week)

Hi Dublinboy99. Thanks for the reply :) My only worry with that is will I not get suspended for nine weeks for turning down a job without just cause? Will they see that I got paid for yesterdays day in work? I have no idea how any of this works I just don't want to get in any kind of trouble with the SWO for being unintentionally dishonest and I don't want to lose money either.

• Advertisement

Just dont mention it to Social Welfare. Its only 1 day and if it ever comes to light in it will be in about 18 months time and nobody will be concerened about 1 day !! Stop worrying you wont get suspended for 9 weeks if you dont tell them.

Ok. Well according to that thats my problem solved :) Do you mind if I ask how sure you are about that information please?

I work in Social Welfare....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

ILOC wrote: »
    Hey thanks so much for the replies. My circumstances are that I am single, female no children sharing a rented house. The contract said my minimum working hours were 15 per week. I was told regardless of that in my interview it would be at least 25.

Okay you cannot apply for Family Income Supplement so then. You basically have two choices 1. Stay in the job and hope you get enough hours or 2. Give up the job and go back to social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Dublinboy99 banned for one week for advocating social welfare fraud.

ILOC, you are supposed to give a true account of your circumstances to SW when claiming - if you are not upfront and do not give them this information, and they do a check, more than likely you will be disqualified for 9 weeks. Be upfront about the money you are earning, and you circumstances, and they would be more inclined to be sympathetic.

I would not take the word of someone anonymous on this forum saying they work in Social Welfare tbh - you suffer the consequences not them. They aren't posting here in any official capacity - and anyone working in Social Welfare should know the correct way of claiming.

By the way, if the amount you are earning is below the Social Welfare rate, you can go to your community welfare officer for assistance - they may be able to top up your pay to the weekly welfare amount, and assist with rent allowance.

• Advertisement

The company that is offering you the 15hr contract will give you 4hr+ shifts so that means you will usually be working 3 x 5 hr days or 4x4 hr days with 16hrs pay.

The job is above minimum wage so you may be able to live for a few weeks on the 15hrs while you try get 25hrs per week, but remember if your on a 15hr contract they can give you 15hrs any week with only a weeks notice.

I dont know if this makes any difference. Some depts get more hours than others. If some one rings in sick in the deli, you will be called as the deli HAS to open. Once you there you will realise what dept always got the extra hrs and you could try get in there.

You cant go by HR doing the interview, they hire and the dept manager does the rota. They are the same company but thats the way it goes. I have had a few people walk out on jobs when they see the rota.

I have no idea what they did in relation to their dole but it is common. They had no choice. Most of the staff I have working 5x4hr shifts are not entitled to a sw payment anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ask your Local Social Welfare Office if you would qualify for Part-Time Job Incentive Scheme:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/BackToWork/PartTimeJobIncentive/Pages/ptji.aspx

^^^^^

Thats a great link, I never heard of that scheme, it would suit alot of the x-construction people I have seen applying for jobs as they may have heavy commitments.

It doesnt give a limit or max amount of hours you can work but you still get 124.00 euro per week in the OPs case from the imfo given.

Well worth looking into.

Advertisement