Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peugeot 505 - Has Anyone Seen One in a While?

• 17-03-2011 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

My Dad had one of these up until the mid 90's (UZS 307, he still actually has the brown logbook there somewhere for it) and I was just thinking the other day that they must be the rarest car today in the country that was once a common sight on our roads. There are some 1980's cars that you see pop up occasionally on donedeal that have been stored in barns for years (Renault 18, Citroen BX etc.), but with 505's they seem to have completely disappeared off the face of the earth.

My earliest memory of a car was one of these and I remember how unreliable and poorly built it was, so it's no surprise really I suppose that none of them exist. I do however hold great affection for them seeing as I remember being a toddler in the back of one and all the memories that went with it. My Dad's was a saloon model and I can't say I've seen another one like it in at least 12 years.

So, to reiterate what it says in the title, when was the last time anybody saw one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I regularly see 2 505 estate's on pre 87 plates..I last saw one of them about a month ago and the other last year, both in very good working order. Not sure about saloons though, cant remember when I last saw one of them here.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes have seen a 505 estate somewhere in the last year. The saloon though not seen one in yonks. Also the 305 saloon, haven't seen one of those in ages either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The vicar used to have an estate one in the tv comedy "keeping up appearances".

http://imcdb.org/i043017.jpg

http://imcdb.org/vehicle_43017-Peugeot-505-Estate-551D-1984.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I always found this video amusing! :D :

My friend's father had a 505 estate in the late 90's Savage car it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Used to a couple round these parts, including a red one that I used to lust after!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

A very clean GTI import seen at Inistoige last year.

inistiogeshow002.jpg

^ Diesel according to Cartell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

you might see a 305 van the odd time,,,although i have seen a few 305's saloons and estates in the last year or two... I know that there is a tv ad at the moment for a polo that features a 305. On the subject of Peugeots,, when did u last see a 604??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

G Luxel wrote: »
    On the subject of Peugeots,, when did u last see a 604??

Unlike the 505's, I'd say these were actually quite rare back in the day.

I know that in my lifetime I've never seen one on our roads anyway.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Unlike the 505's, I'd say these were actually quite rare back in the day.

I know that in my lifetime I've never seen one on our roads anyway.

Cardinal O Fiach had a 604 back in the day. Always liked them, but not to everyone's taste.

• Advertisement

Jeremy Clarksons dad had one (604), I think it was the first car in which he experienced electric windows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Slightly off topic but howsever...:D
    FORMER tánaiste George Colley was prescribed Valium to help him relax during chauffeured car journeys while minister for finance.

The Fianna Fáil TD’s doctor recommended the sedatives for anxiety on trips that began after he and his wife Mary were involved in a crash.

Mr Colley and his wife secured the equivalent of more than €30,000 compensation for the accident at the hands of a garda driver. The pair had been returning from Sligo to Dublin in the early hours of the morning on April 15, 1978, when the ministerial car skidded on loose chippings at a sharp bend near Drumsna, Co Leitrim. The assigned garda driver lost control of the Peugeot 604 as it careered from left to right on to a grass embankment before flipping over on to the road again and into bushes.

An official report said the car was so badly damaged it would have cost more to fix than to replace.

But the Colleys and their driver escaped with just minor cuts and had already made their way to a doctor in Carrick-on-Shannon by the time local gardaí arrived at the scene.

However, a protracted claim against the state for personal damages — including the cost of a gold lighter — reaped the Colleys £7,315 compensation, equivalent to €32,236 today.

Mr Colley suffered cuts to his scalp and legs, twisted his back and was struck days later with "severe delayed shock," according to his doctor.

Although the pain was all but gone during a check-up a year later, Dr Ciaran Barry said Mr Colley had become anxious getting into cars.

"He cannot relax when driving and remains tense throughout the car journey," he wrote in a letter, supporting the compensation claim.

"This, as you know, is a considerable disadvantage to a minister who had so much travelling to do."

Dr Barry said it was likely to take as much as a year or more for Mr Coffey to get over the trauma.

"I have recommended that he have a small dose of Valium at the start of his journey to help him to relax and to settle down," he said.

A doctor’s report on Mrs Colley showed she suffered cuts to her scalp, two black eyes, delayed shock and later weakness in her neck and anxiety travelling in cars but was deemed to have no permanent ill-effects.

The files show Mr Colley was "not all that pleased" with an original offer of £2,000 damages because he was no longer able to "snooze on long journeys".

After the chief state solicitor complained that the case was "beginning to drag a bit," damages were eventually settled at £7,315 — including medical costs — with approval from the attorney general in May 1980.

Among the unvouched claims settled were for a gold cigarette lighter valued at £15 and a claim for £15 paid to a local doctor in Carrick on Shannon.

Accepting the settlement, Mr Colley’s solicitors Hickey, Beauchamp, Kirwan and O’Reilly, of Wellington Quay, Dublin, said in a letter to the chief state solicitor: "We hope we can agree a reasonable sum for our fees without the necessity of taxation."

This article appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, December 31, 2010

And another loosely related article, think theres a car for everyone mentioned here, is the R5 111IIU still around i wonder.
    Marriage is all about teamwork, but a certain amount of independence is also important in a healthy Porsche-supporting relationship, says John Glynn.

When I was growing up in Ireland in the 1970s, nice cars were rare beasts. For a start, the country had yet to discover the EU Development Fund, so away from Dublin (as we were), the roads were straight out of the third world. There was no MOT, so people maintained their cars as they saw fit, which meant most didn’t. Finally, there was the Government, who considered that if you were wealthy enough to have a nice car, they deserved a reward for giving you the opportunity to amass enough money to buy it. Irish car tax was and is obscene.

None of this deterred my dad, who owned a few successful music shops, and had a bit of money to spend on his favourite things: cars. Dad’s best buddy was a car dealer, so he was always coming home in interesting machinery, most of which is etched upon my memory.

My first car journey was home from hospital in a carrycot plonked on the back seat of a Fiat 850 Sport Coupe – there still exists a cutting from the Limerick Leader, showing the local Fiat agent presenting dad with the keys. Next, he pushed out not just the boat, but the dock and nearby warehouses too, buying a brand new Mercedes 250SE, in Sand over Chocolate, with caramel-coloured MB-Tex trim and an ice-cream-white steering wheel; the epitome of ‘70s in-car decadence.

The Mercedes was mistakenly swapped for a Peugeot 604, whose main purpose seemed to be inducing motion sickness in children, something it did exceptionally well. Car credibility was restored when, one year later, dad arrived home in a beautiful E21 BMW 320i with all the trimmings: Alpina wheels, Cibie lamps and tinted sunroof deflector.

I also recall an MGB Roadster – five kids plus driver crammed into this so-called sports car for our first and last outing. Umpteen breakdowns meant no one was travelsick but, as this was a soft top in the west of Ireland, never before or since was I ever so saturated. The dents left in our driveway by the B’s tyres were a lasting monument to cars bought in pubs. Friday fun in a red Lancia Beta HPE was unforgettable, and three days with a wicked yellow Datsun 260Z changed my life forever – my first unrealised automotive romance.

One supermarket trip in the 260Z was a particularly memorable event, with seven people and a week’s shopping eventually spilling from the slinky Japanese 911-a-like onto our front garden. Scenes like this failed to impress his Mrs Glynn, and therein lay the fatal flaw: two-doors were easily argued against when it came to transporting the near football team that was Family Glynn; eight of us in the end.

Dad did his best to work around these rulings, and mum and kids became accustomed to returning from six-week summer breaks by the sea to find we had become a three-car family. A metallic blue Mark 1 Renault 5 TS, with now impossibly rare hoop seats and the registration 111 IIU, topped off my favourite of these threesomes. But despite the fact that we had a humungous Peugeot 504 Family estate for team transport, Jack’s third-car purchases always met a cruel end on the jagged rocks of marital realism.

These days, many of us who enjoy a third (or fourth) car for fun drives, track days and whatever else crops up, do so thanks to working wives and somewhat independent financial arrangements. Joint accounts pay the household bills, and what’s left is usually the property of whoever earned it. That’s how it works in our house anyway, which may have something to do with what I learned from Jack’s efforts. But, as a recent discussion on impactbumpers.com highlighted, not everyone enjoys such an equitable arrangement. For some people, 911 ownership is a salmonic upstream struggle against outpourings from significant others, mostly regarding the relentless receipts draining away joint resources.

Settlement from a motorbike accident should have paid for my first 911, but instead, my bike accidents paid for a pair of extended maternity leaves, and I borrowed the Cabriolet cash in restitution. A few years later, I mentioned to my Mrs Glynn that I was considering another 911 (manspeak for “I am buying this, how big an argument are we going to have?”), and since Sarah’s only objection revolved around losing her wedding car, I kept both. Yes dear, temporarily.

I pay for my Porsche habit by working part-time: what you are reading will cover half a year’s road tax for the orange car, due in a few days. As long as the house and kids are paid for, and ‘er indoors and I do some nice things together every so often, my remaining money is just that: mine. To her much-appreciated credit, Mrs Glynn has never argued about how it gets spent.

I tip my cap to those owners who have to work hard to keep their beloved 911s when dinner-table finance summits centre on new conservatories and replacement kitchens. But by the same token, we should never take for granted those partners who accept our car-fancying illnesses as part of who we are, and just let us get on with it. If you share your life with such a person, give them a big hug from me (and Jack).
    http://www.johndglynn.com/in-praise-of-silent-partners-april-08

That guy sounds like a right pretentious tosser. "He returned to a proper car when he traded the 604 in for a 320i.":rolleyes:

A registration that could have been...
    4757_9936.jpg

I hope they didn't make a diesel version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I liked the 505 and 604, but the last time I saw either of them was the last time I did some serious driving in France, several years ago

I remember that back in the late 70s, early 80s, the 604 was the fastest depreciating car, losing 90% of its value in 4 years :D

Rustbuckets, both of them :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I loved all of these but I think everybody's favourite was the 504 estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not my favourite. The estate was very, very rare even back then! My grandfather had several 504s. Great cars, very luxurious. I loved the central arm rest in the back and the soft carpets all around :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I loved all of these but I think everybody's favourite was the 504 estate.
    In the 80's I was driven from Paris to Lyon in the back of one of those - with about 7 other people stuffed in too (including some kid who got carsick)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC08796.jpg

one i saw last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I had an 89 estate, one of the cars I seriously regret selling. If one pops up here for sale I'd probably take it, much bigger in the back than a W123 or W124. The 2.5 diesel is one of the greatest engines ever made. How good they are can be seen in their longetivity in some African countries as 7 seater bush taxis or the saloon as a city taxi. Brilliant car as was its predecessor the 504.

Plenty parked up on the left here as well.
    IMG_3717.JPG
    IMG_3719.JPG

one that didn't make it
    IMG_3631.JPG

and a well worn 504

IMG_3628.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

I've not seen a 505 in working condition outside of at a show in this country for over 5 years now, at a conservative estimate. Shame as they seemed to be good old cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Passed a 505 everyday on the way to work when I lived in Paris last year. Unfortunately it was in poor shape even though it was used everyday. Seems to be a trait of alot of classic cars in Paris, seen a horrendous amounts of old Fiat 500s used and abused! Never seen a 505 over here, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Some other Peugeot spots
    466.jpg

DSC06877.jpg

peugeot404estatetrim06.jpg

Peugeot304Estate-1.jpg

Peugeot304estate.jpg

Peugeot403Moutbellew06.jpg

Peugeot403.jpg

DSC06987.jpg

Peugeot304CabrioletInistioge06.jpg

Blue850 wrote: »
    DSC08796.jpg

one i saw last year

That is absolutely fascinating. It's the exact same as my Dad's old one except the colour (his was a light blue).
    Blue850 wrote: »
    Peugeot304estate.jpg

These look quite like the Austin Maxi from the rear, does anyone agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

bijapos wrote: »
    How good they are can be seen in their longetivity in some African countries as 7 seater bush taxis or the saloon as a city taxi. Brilliant car as was its predecessor the 504.

I put diesel in a petrol 505 estate on my first day working in a petrol station, back when working in a petrol station meant putting fuel into cars. Thankfully, we spotted it before starting the car and had it drained before causing any damage. I think you've identified the destination of many 505's, Africa, either for a new life or for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

There was a '89 or '90 505 GT Turbo parked up behind a house in Kinsale for a while. I haven't passed the house in a while so I don't know if it's still there or not. I wouldn't be surprised if its still there.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    That is absolutely fascinating. It's the exact same as my Dad's old one except the colour (his was a light blue).

These look quite like the Austin Maxi from the rear, does anyone agree?

Yeah I think so too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

There was a very low mileage red 505 GR for sale in the UK which appeared on DoneDeal a few weeks later, at a much higher price :D

I would rather this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230597891438&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$%28KGrHqEOKpYE1qzggcf3BNgUv,egD%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

hi5 wrote: »
    A very clean GTI import seen at Inistoige last year.

inistiogeshow002.jpg

Thats my friends car and its actually a very rare 505 GRD Turbo Diesel.( Thats me sitting behind my R18 Turbo beside it)

What a beautiful car those 504 coupes are. Stunning styling by pininfarina.

The 604 was the first production car to have a turbodiesel. Presumably the same engine went into the 505.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

G Luxel wrote: »
    On the subject of Peugeots,, when did u last see a 604??
    The owners of Mizzonis chippers on Rathgar Road bought two brand new 604 V6TIs in around 1979, both metallic brown, both with CB radios with magnetic antennae!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

There's a crashed 504 coupe in the basement of a garage in Douglas in Cork, saw it many years ago, don't know if it's still there.

There is this 504 beside my uncle's farm in Westmeath too:

5181691037_153bb2050d_z.jpg

It hasn't moved an inch since 1996.

• Advertisement

^I bet hes got plenty of calls from scrap collectors about it?

johnf2020 wrote: »
    Thats my friends car and its actually a very rare 505 GRD Turbo Diesel.( Thats me sitting behind my R18 Turbo beside it)

My friend has now corrected me
    Its an even rarer GTD Turbo Diesel:o

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭quattro777

This is for sale across the water, at around £1000

505GTi2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johnrcgt4

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but i love these cars.
    Seen 2 of them at a car show in clonmel last year

Image324.jpg
    Image326.jpg

Also found a gti in a breakers, body still looks fairly rust free, no pic tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 HMTurbo

we used have a 505 registration 89 WH 505, was a 2.5 diesel i think

• Advertisement

Here is mine...must get a more up to date pic. I have the VRT paid on it now

Its a GTI.

17092011650.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6 johnrcgt4

Nice reg in pic, C505 :)

I really like the lines of the 505 I must say. Some fine examples above.

Advertisement