Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best stadium?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Qwest Field in Seattle, home of the Seahawks and Sounders

Its an NFL stadium firstly but the Sounders play there too. Never been but the lengths they went to when building that stadium is incredible. For anybody that doesn't know, it was built to keep the noise in the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You can't bayte Semple Stadium of a Munster Final Sunday. Heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Terryland! Hate the Showgrounds in Sligo because of that crappy away stand.

Prefer the Aviva to Croker tbh. Better atmosphere, just a pity they couldn't do anything with the square end. If they built Croker like a real stadium it would win hands down but imo the Hill ruins it. But tbf, it was the best atmosphere I've experienced in a long time vs France in the last soccer game there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Xavi6 wrote: »

Says more about the supporters than the stadium itself, which looks shite with that poxy end still standing. Get rid or build over it.

Go on then have a go at GAA supporters as usual:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Best : Stamford Bridge. Great views from all seats. Compact and atmospheric.

Worst : Aviva. They simply got it so wrong.

Worthy of Mention : Croke Park (If they ever get around to finishing it.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Best modern stadium:Estádio da Luz.

Best old school stadium:Griffin Park.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Been fortunate enough to have been all over Europe.

Westfalenstadion(refuse to call it by it's new name), Anfield, Mestalla and Amsterdam Arena are my favourite stadiums I've been to. Been to the Vicente Calderon as well but my memory is a bit hazy with that one truth be told :P

Sadly the worst was Croke Park. Dire is the one word that sums it up.

Bernabeu, La Bombonera and San Mamés are the 3 stadiums I'd love to go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

the giant toaster in phoenix arizona is really impressive

univofphoenixstad02.jpg

pic.php?id=662

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Sadly the worst was Croke Park. Dire is the one word that sums it up.

the worst was croke park :eek: i think you should have taken a trip down to the old st mels when that was there :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Go on then have a go at GAA supporters as usual:rolleyes:

As usual? Show me where I've had a go at them before (and I'm not even having a go at them so no idea what the fuck you are on about :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

If you're ever in New York, take a ride out to Red Bull Arena, wonderful stadium. Not a bad seat in the house:

800px-Red_Bull_Arena_Harrison_behind_goal.jpg

6251454.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

flahavaj wrote: »
    You can't bayte Semple Stadium of a Munster Final Sunday. Heaven.

Semple Stadium on Munster final day has to be experienced. A feed of bulmers in the square, the craic with 'enemy' fans in their thousands outside the bars and hotels, the 15 min walk to the ground with the atmosphere building and the beads of sweat beginning to appear. The squeaking sounds as you walk through the old turnstiles. The squashing through the crowd at the town end to try and get a better view. The roar from each set of supporters as each team appears. The deafening sound as they parade in front of you. The emotions running free as you belt out Amhrán na bhFiann like never before and all this before a ball is hit in anger!
    Munster final,Semple Stadium on a Sunny Summers day - no better place to be!!! An occasion like no other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Paully D wrote: »
    Favourite: Westfalenstadion

Least Favourite: I already know it's going to be the new Olympic stadium in London.

Thanks very much for not calling it 'Signal Iduna Park' :)

But it's nice there, I had a season ticket between 1986 and 2004 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for not calling it 'Signal Iduna Park' :)

But it's nice there, I had a season ticket between 1986 and 2004 ;)

i had to google that stadium,seriously impressive i must say.

• Advertisement

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Semple Stadium on Munster final day has to be experienced. A feed of bulmers in the square, the craic with 'enemy' fans in their thousands outside the bars and hotels, the 15 min walk to the ground with the atmosphere building and the beads of sweat beginning to appear. The squeaking sounds as you walk through the old turnstiles. The squashing through the crowd at the town end to try and get a better view. The roar from each set of supporters as each team appears. The deafening sound as they parade in front of you. The emotions running free as you belt out Amhrán na bhFiann like never before and all this before a ball is hit in anger!
    Munster final,Semple Stadium on a Sunny Summers day - no better place to be!!! An occasion like no other.

There's a bogball/stick fighting/ref abducting forum on Boards too. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Eloquently put..... but what's your point?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

barryd09 wrote: »
    i had to google that stadium,seriously impressive i must say.

Went I went there for the first time, it had a capacity of 42800, with standing areas behind both goals ;)

But the most impressive part is the 'Suedtribuene' (South Stand), as far as I knw the biggest standing area in Europe with a 28000 capacity :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Richmond Park on a dark night with the floodlights on for a big game is brilliant. Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

there should be a ban on mentioning loi grounds :P

• Advertisement

partyndbs wrote: »
    there should be a ban on mentioning loi grounds :P
    I can honestly say some of the best atmospheres experienced have been at loi gounds. The last match at the X before the shed was pulled down, was also the night city won the league - packed to the rafters - unreal atmosphere. dalymount for a cup final ( again v derry) when Dave Barry hit the post -great atmosphere. Most loi grounds if they are packed to the rafters will have good atmospheres.
    The stadiums I like - loi - turners x, richmond, dalymount and maybe tallaght. Gaa - Semple. Cross the water - Anfield obviously and upton park. Twickenham is a vey nice stadium since they completed the 'Bowl' efect. Abroad - Stade de France. They would be the ones I like from being in them. There are of course many other fantastic stadiums but I've not had the pleasure of being in for a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

^^^^

some nice looking stadiums there - I especially like the look of the last one with screens all around the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I miss the old Landsdowne Road :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Zebra3 wrote: »

You conveniently forgot to say there is an American Football forum to the people who mentioned American Football stadiums too....the cheek of them...fair is fair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

The most impressive stadium I was in is the Luzhniki stadium in Moscow and the San Siro a close second.

You conveniently forgot

No, I didn't. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'd like to throw 2. Bundesliga side Erzgebirge Aue's stadium out there.
    If they ever played a team with a big travelling support like Dortmund their travelling fans would get around 3k tickets and you'd have another few hundred in the forest trying to see :P.

Picture

I'll put it in my strange category along with the floating stadium posted previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

McAlpine Stadium in Huddersfield, it has won awards for its design

32712306_6c4fc0be3d.jpg

Existed long before the Aviva before you draw comparisons

Obvious to you but for me anyway, where is Paradise, there are a few clubs claiming that for themselves
    Not just Celtic Park which I think you mean

Surely Thomond and not the Aviva?

Anyway my votes are:Thomond Park, Allianz Arena, San Siro, Arrowhead Stadium, BC Place, Stadium Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Richmond Park on a dark night with the floodlights on for a big game is brilliant. Love it!

Agreed ^

I like White Hart Lane. And even though it's an arena, Madison Square Garden is fantastic place to watch a game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Sorry Croke Park can't be dull like every new oval 3 tier stadium. It stands out and it isn't for soccer anyways.

My favourite stadium ever is probably Stadio Delle Alpi. Shame its gone.

The Delle Alpi stadium is terrible. No stadium with a running track around it should be able to make it into this thread. In fact, it's so bad it was knocked down less than 20 years after it was built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Love the Huddersfield one, beautiful modern stadium. The Braga one is amazing too, trains pull in on top of the stadium.

Moulinex generates a decent atmosphere and the Victoria for Stoke. Blackpool and Craven Cottage are a nice throw back to bygone days. Portsmouth as well.

LOL at the Croker digs, it was better in the ould days but it a great feat of architecture, the Canal End in particular.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The Delle Alpi stadium is terrible. No stadium with a running track around it should be able to make it into this thread. In fact, it's so bad it was knocked down less than 20 years after it was built

I loved the look of the delle alpi and its structure, but the distance from the stand to the pitch was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

partyndbs wrote: »
    no offence man but there all rubbish stadiums, like lol 'the away stand' in united park..like wtf...
    turners cross ye its ok but hardly like what u would call an impressive stadium

Impressive? Who said anything about impressive? You asked for his favourite and least favourite ground, he said he loves the away stand in United Park and if you'd ever been there while it's rocking you'd understand why.

Dalymount for me, it's just special.

168626_10150365366450131_646415130_16654161_25339_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Do these stadiums count...

I love this one, huge and grand views all round.. gotta hand it to the yanks when it comes to mammoth stadia

inside-new-dallas-cowboys-stadium-arlington-texas.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Agreed, Richmond when its full under lights is special. Also Dayler, so much history in that place. Breaks my heart to see the way its gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

My favourite is The Olympic Stadium in Berlin. It's the only stadium I can think of that is architecturally perfect in almost every way. As you walk around it you can actually feel the history. Beautifully preserved and is a refreshing break from all these McStadiums and sterile "airport terminal" designs that are popping up all over the world

http://picturesandstories.blogspot.com/2008/02/symmetrical-tour-olympic-stadium-in.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Paparazzo wrote: »

And replaced with a smaller stadium!
    Only time I've ever heard of a club replacing a modern stadium with a SMALLER stadium!!!

It was 'nice' in that it was fairly modern and easy to get around ( even if it is the duration of a length from the city). But a terrible design for a football stadium.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That stadium in Seattle looks pretty spectacular alright.

The Emirates is a fantastic stadium. People seem to be confusing the occasion and the fans with the ground itself. The latter make the atmosphere, not the former.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do these stadiums count...

I love this one, huge and grand views all round.. gotta hand it to the yanks when it comes to mammoth stadia

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/inside-new-dallas-cowboys-stadium-arlington-texas.jpg
    That's impressive. Looks like camp nou with a roof!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

San Siro for me. Biggest stadium with the best noise. It's easy to have a noisy atmosphere in a stadium under 60k, but once you get bigger and bigger, to get the noise that i've heard at the San Siro is bloody rare. Fantastic stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anfield and paradise. i'd love to go to a game at a packed nou camp. It looks fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

was in the nou camp(not for a game) old trafford, ''paradise'', anfield, city ground and burton albions ground plus various LOI/IL grounds and nottingham forests city ground wins hands down.

Have to say also, was in Eastlands a couple of weeks ago, and as modern stadia go, it's fookin tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

The Camp Nou just has that unquantifiable magical quality. Might not be the best architecturally, but its a special place.

Best stadium I have been in in terms of facilties etc is the Amsterdam ArenA. Space age isn't the word.

In terms of home, Tallght is the dogs in terms of smaller stadia anywhere. Has all the bells and whistles.

Hates. Dalymount, because its a kip and has been allowed fall into the kip bracket by members who don't deserve that heritage to protect.

Morton is just a dark, damp place.

Stadio Artemio Franchi in Florence is a dirty big barn of a place. More atmosphere on the moon.

Artemio_Franchi_A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The Camp Nou just has that unquantifiable magical quality. Might not be the best architecturally, but its a special place.

Best stadium I have been in in terms of facilties etc is the Amsterdam ArenA. Space age isn't the word.

In terms of home, Tallght is the dogs in terms of smaller stadia anywhere. Has all the bells and whistles.

Hates. Dalymount, because its a kip and has been allowed fall into the kip bracket by members who don't deserve that heritage to protect.

Morton is just a dark, damp place.

Stadio Artemio Franchi in Florence is a dirty big barn of a place. More atmosphere on the moon.

Artemio_Franchi_A.jpg

do you ever switch off??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

For away fans Dalymount is a kip though.

SantryRed wrote: »
    For away fans Dalymount is a kip though.

Unless yer in the Des Kelly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Unless yer in the Des Kelly :)

Even that's a kip! Just a good roof over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

major bill wrote: »
    do you ever switch off??

What? The place is a delapidated dump. Its unsafe and the reality is that once the bohs members had their stand and bar, they literally let the rest of the place crumble.

Dalymount%20Park%204.jpg

tramway_end.jpg

The Connaught Stand is by a mile the worst place I have ever watched football from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement