Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best stadium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

Dalymount%20Park%204.jpg

Give over, how old is that first photo? Probabley taken when work was being done in Dalymount, but that doesn't matter when you're getting a dig in at Bohs :rolleyes:.

I do agree with your earlier point that the SDCC's stadium isn't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In terms of home, Tallght is the dogs in terms of smaller stadia anywhere. Has all the bells and whistles.

No, it doesn't. :rolleyes:

It only has two stands for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I was in LA, and there was a baseball game on at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. I didn't know anything about baseball but I couldn't pass up the chance of being inside the Coliseum. It was the biggest attendance for a baseball game and it was the most exhilarating experience I've ever had a stadium.

los-angeles-memorial-coliseum.jpg

My ambition is to go to the San Mames before it's demolished and also go to Bryant–Denny Stadium in Alabama. I have often wondered what Bertie's bowl would have been. Any opinions?

I have often wondered what Bertie's bowl would have been. Any opinions?

Shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That picture of Connaught St is scary. You can see the concrete falling apart. Its crazy that we have to stand on it. Just roping the back part off is insane, its going to fall down at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

CiaranC wrote: »
    That picture of Connaught St is scary. You can see the concrete falling apart. Its crazy that we have to stand on it. Just roping the back part off is insane, its going to fall down at some point.

Ive always said it that rovers should be in the des kelly stand as the connaught should be knocked down but our inadequate police force wont allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I've never been there, but Braga's stadium looks incredible due to the scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

smokedeels wrote: »
    I've never been there, but Braga's stadium looks incredible due to the scenery.

I remember when Euro2004 was coming up I was blown away by the (very selective) photos of Braga. They made it look like they'd cut it right out of a mountainside However when the games came around it just looked unfinished and underwhelming (almost like some old GAA stadium where they use natural hills for terraces). Worst still it appears that those "mountains" were just piles of dirt strategically placed behind each goal and that it was bang in the middle of the city rather than in some remote location (understandable but still).

http://stadiums.football.co.uk/Images/Photos/Large/1690-0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Zebra3 wrote: »

What concievable difference does that make to the point in hand? Tallaght has corporate, food and drink, press, medical, player and official facilities, as well as facilities for disabled fans that no other smaller stadium has

major bill wrote: »
    Ive always said it that rovers should be in the des kelly stand as the connaught should be knocked down but our inadequate police force wont allow it.

If thats the case, the game should be moved to a venue that can handle the crowd in safety.

• Advertisement

What concievable difference does that make to the point in hand? Tallaght has corporate, food and drink, press, medical, player and official facilities, as well as facilities for disabled fans that no other smaller stadium has

This thread is not just about the LoI..... :rolleyes:

Who said it was?

Lose the chip, its beyond tedious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Favourites: Westfalenstadion, Espirit Arena, The Showgrounds, Santiago Bernabeu, Volksparkstadion.

Least favourites: Allianz Arena, Finn Park, Stamford Bridge and the Loro Borici Stadium. The last one being the worst - Pushing 95F and not even a shop to get a drink :eek:.

Is that the one in Düsseldorf ?

I found it similar to the Aviva in the way that the area behind the stands (the councourses selling food etc) has a enclosed feeling, with the Aviva it's the glass exterior, with the Espirit Arena it's the 'chain curtain' that runs around the exterior of it.

As for Croke Park I find it more functional that anything else.
    It has it's good days when it is full and the place is going nuts, Mayo v Dublin in 2006 for example.

The soccer games I went to see there were mostly dull affairs though.

The 'unfinished' part at the moment is there due to engineering and cost constraints as much as anything else.

In time a more cost effective way of building up above the railway and without obstructing the local residents will allow a more completed look to that end of the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Says more about the supporters than the stadium itself, which looks shite with that poxy end still standing. Get rid or build over it.

GAA is just different though, like with most other sports you will get a different atmosphere to soccer. You don't have segregated fans and there are often 4 different teams playing which makes the atmosphere different too. Plus there is a train line immediately behind the stadium. So they couldn't just knock it down willy nilly. I think if it became yet another bowl, it would be just another stadium. It does the job well for the sports it is built for.

As for favourite stadiums, every opinion will be based on different criteria. Aesthetically pleasing stadiums are often devoid of atmosphere. The stadiums with a great atmosphere can often be dilapidated dumps. And as always, personal opinion changes your viewpoint as can the match you were at. For example, some people have mentioned Old Trafford as having no atmosphere. It just depends on the night you are there. Like any stadium, it has quiet days and days where it is rocking. There's no point comparing a Champions League group stage game with Anfield in European Cup semi-final (not saying anybody said that either, just giving an example). So to some people, the Carlisle Grounds will be their favourite for emotional reasons.

Anyway, for me, the Nou Camp is my favourite. It's like a 20th Century coliseum when you take everything into account. The stadium itself probably beats some teams before a ball is kicked. Love it when the fans have a pre-arranged display before a big game like this:

camp-nou-cat3.jpg

Also have to say the Azteca Stadium in Mexico is pretty awesome. Probably helps that the most iconic moments in World Cup history happened in there, but it looks fantastic. It is probably in dire need of a make-over, but in it's pomp it was a classic.

mex5.jpg

And Diego looked pretty cool with the World Cup in it :pac:

79647699.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215AB089EE596C6588F7D39AA4BFF64CC6564C6956BA165E865F232A23917BC4AA

A lot of modern football stadiums leave me cold, especially the bowl type favoured in England. At least the Aviva looks a little different with the small end. Otherwise it would be just a green Emirates. Best of the modern stadiums to me is the Allianz Arena in Munich. Although the Birds Nest was pretty awesome too. Qatar have some good designs in the works for 2022 as well. Stadiums need character and to be instantly identifiable. In the bowl-stadiums, you could be anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Best.... Anfield and Volksparkstadion.

Who said it was?

You implied it was by saying it was as good as any small stadium anywhere.

I pointed out that it wasn't and you have a hissy fit. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

There's a bogball/stick fighting/ref abducting forum on Boards too. :rolleyes:

Careful you'll use up you monthly :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: quota. :rolleyes:

Best stadiums I've been to;

Atmosphere - Millenium
    Facilities - Amsterdam ArenA
    Looks - Stade de France

Worst (excluding LOI as most of them are in pretty poor shape);

Goodison (nice old school stadium but it's pretty run down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Mister men wrote: »
    Best.... Anfield and Volksparkstadion.

The old Volksparkstadion? Well, that was falling a bit apart in the end ;)

I didn't 'imply' it, I stated it explicitly.

You pointed out that it doesn't have four stands. That has nothing to do with the point, which is in terms of sepctator facilities, views etc, it is by a mile the best LoI stadium and the best smaller stadium I have been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Home Depot Centre home of LA Galaxy.

HomeDepotCenter.jpg

If thats the case, the game should be moved to a venue that can handle the crowd in safety.

Pats and dundalk have no problems using the des kelly stand, its not a bad stand compared to others in the league. Id put rovers in the des kelly with a cap on their support like what we have in tallaght. The gards will be controlling one of the largest football events in may they should at this stage be well equiped to deal with 700/800 hoops in the des kelly stand.

major bill wrote: »
    Pats and dundalk have no problems using the des kelly stand, its a better stand than alot of stands in the league. Id put rovers in the des kelly with a cap on their support like what we have in tallaght. The gards will be controlling one of the largest football events in may they should at this stage be well equiped to deal with 700/800 hoops in the des kelly stand.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in relation to the Gardaí. But the reality is your club has never said that to the Gardaí and don't back Rovers up when they do.

You have a cap on your tickets in Tallaght because we will sell out the ground for the derby. We are limited to 6,000. If we had more capacity you would get more tickets.

You have a cap on what you sell us right now because your stadium has fallen into such a state of disrepair you cannot handle anything like your stadiums potential capacity through the turnstyles.

Chalk. Cheese.

How did a best stadium in the world thread end up a LOI big willy contest? Obviously no LOI stadium is actually the best stadium in the world, all they can be is a personal favourite for individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

dunno man lol theres not even anything unique about any loi ground. like bray is nice in the away side in summer when u can see the dublin mountains but the stadium is a kip

partyndbs wrote: »
    dunno man lol theres not even anything unique about any loi ground. like bray is nice in the away side in summer when u can see the dublin mountains but the stadium is a kip

Dont think anyone really belives a LOI ground is the best but they do hold good memorys for people so id say more personal favourites than anything else. I picked Nottinghams city ground purely for the cosyness of it not its architectural design or lack of it.

btw you never really stated in your first post what the ground rules were for picking the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Been to a few Irish and English stadiums. Was at Emirates recently and was v impressed with the design and the whole set up. But my favourite is probably Craven Cottage. Lovely old ground and really nice surroundings.

15-2.jpg

How did a best stadium in the world thread end up a LOI big willy contest? Obviously no LOI stadium is actually the best stadium in the world, all they can be is a personal favourite for individuals.

Ditto England, Scotland or Spain...

How do we define 'best'?

Many peoples suggestion aren't the best archetecturally, but have an atmosphere or history that makes them better then the technically best stadia like the Amsterdam or Allianz Arenas or San Siro.

The OP started a potentially interesting thread and then started posting complete drivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Wembley is a top notch stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

How do we define 'best'?

Many peoples suggestion aren't the best archetecturally, but have an atmosphere or history that makes them better then the technically best stadia like the Amsterdam or Allianz Arenas or San Siro.

The OP started a potentially interesting thread and then started posting complete drivel.

In these days it's only the away supporters, who bring some kind of atmosphere into the Allianz Arena :D

How do we define 'best'?

I actually have a long post talking about that above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I don't know why but my favourite is probably the LTU Arena in Dussledorf, Fortuna Düsseldorf a second division team play in it.
    120px-LTU-Arena_D%C3%BCsseldorf.jpg

LTU%20arena%20schr%C3%A4g.jpg
    Here it is in White Sensation mode
    Sensation+Ocean+Of+White+sensation+white.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

How can people state what is the best stadium unless they've been to ever stadium in the World? Therefore everyone is posting their personal favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye but nobody could claim any loi ground is impressive. the ebst ground in the league doesnt have a stand on the north and south of stadium and is based in a kip(no offence)

take a lil look at the dusseldorf stade thatsd what we want not some run down shack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jim wrote: »
    Been to a few Irish and English stadiums. Was at Emirates recently and was v impressed with the design and the whole set up. But my favourite is probably Craven Cottage. Lovely old ground and really nice surroundings.

15-2.jpg

Cracking away day is Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

ye but nobody could claim any loi ground is impressive. the ebst ground in the league doesnt have a stand on the north and south of stadium and is based in a kip(no offence)

take a lil look at the dusseldorf stade thatsd what we want not some run down shack
    So? As was said nobody knows the best stadium unless they've been to every stadium in the world. And ya can't judge a stadium by how it looks on telly, you have to go there. I'm sure LOI fans like myself go to LOI stadiums in the main, so it is a "favourite stadium" thread really. In which case mine in Terryland. Memories and it's comfortable and when it's full it's noisy. We don't all have to agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

ye but nobody could claim any loi ground is impressive.

Title of your thread is "best stadium", doesn't say anything about impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Paully D wrote: »
    Cracking away day is Fulham.
    Yep! I went to see Fulham v Wolves last September. Lovely sunny day, great surroundings and atmosphere. Pity we bottled it after going 0 - 1 up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is no way you cam compare the Esprit Arena (it's no longer the LTU) in Düsseldorf to what a LOI team should be playing in

Düsseldorf is a big city and the arena is used for concerts (The Euro-vision in 2011), Boxing, Trade shows as well as soccer

The local team are in Bundasliga 2 and they only average 28K in a 50K stadium.

I was at the opening game of the season in 2009 and the atmosphere was s**te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I was at the opening game of the season in 2009 and the atmosphere was s**te

I was at the cup game v Hamburg in 2009 and the atmosphere was fantastic. When they scored in the 120th minute the place exploded.

Top stadium they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Tolka Park for the memories alone! Although Loftus Road is great also.

• Advertisement

How can people state what is the best stadium unless they've been to ever stadium in the World? Therefore everyone is posting their personal favourites.

Again, if you read my earlier post I have said much the same. I was not the one saying that such and such a stadium was the best small stadium in the world. That comment you posted was querying how yet another thread had ended up with an LOI against the world focus.

Edit: This is what I said earlier
    As for favourite stadiums, every opinion will be based on different criteria. Aesthetically pleasing stadiums are often devoid of atmosphere. The stadiums with a great atmosphere can often be dilapidated dumps. And as always, personal opinion changes your viewpoint as can the match you were at. For example, some people have mentioned Old Trafford as having no atmosphere. It just depends on the night you are there. Like any stadium, it has quiet days and days where it is rocking. There's no point comparing a Champions League group stage game with Anfield in European Cup semi-final (not saying anybody said that either, just giving an example). So to some people, the Carlisle Grounds will be their favourite for emotional reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Favourite is Richmond, obviously.

Other favourites include Tallaght (shudder) Turner's Cross and the Brandywell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Carlisle Grounds:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Not the best stadium by a long shot,

and don't know if this is watchable in Ireland, i've watched it in the UK

But this is a link to a BBC video of the new Brighton Stadium

Looks like it is going to be easily one of the best in the lower divisions!

Just hope they never go the way of Darlington, the Darlington Arena is easily the best ground in the non leagues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Have to say personally my best stadia is Croke Park, Millenium Stadium and the Bay Arena :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Best stadium I was ever in for atmosphere was Croke Park for the Italy game. The place was rocking and it's a brilliant stadium.

I've also found Old Trafford pretty atmosphereless and I was there for a pretty massive game, goal and win. Think it's because from my seat I didn't have a full view of the all the other stands cos of the roof but still wasn't that far back.

Holding out judgment on the Aviva. Still haven't been to a big game there, although for the Russia game it was pretty rocking after we got the two goals.

I didn't 'imply' it, I stated it explicitly.

You pointed out that it doesn't have four stands. That has nothing to do with the point, which is in terms of sepctator facilities, views etc, it is by a mile the best LoI stadium and the best smaller stadium I have been in.

You said it was the best small stadium anywhere.

It's not.

There are plenty of stadia around the world with the same, if not better, facilities than Tallaght Stadium and with a higher capacity which therefore means Tallaght is not the "best small stadium anywhere" as you claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

It's not.

There are plenty of stadia around the world with the same, if not better, facilities than Tallaght Stadium and with a higher capacity which therefore means Tallaght is not the "best small stadium anywhere" as you claim.

I prefer Turners Cross to Tallaght Stadium.

Tallaght's class though, so don't want this to turn into a stupid argument about how good or bad it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,501 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's not.

Get over it FFS. He's as entitled to an opinion as you are. He didn't say it was the best small stadium anywhere either FYI.

In terms of home, Tallght is the dogs in terms of smaller stadia anywhere. Has all the bells and whistles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My ambition is to go to the San Mames before it's demolished

Was actually there a year and a half ago. Really good atmosphere but the seats were horribly uncomfortable.

Advertisement