Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S versus i phone 4???

Options
  • 17-03-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Trying to figure out which one I should get...

Price is a factor but not the most important one.. I can get the galaxy for free and have to pay €100 for the i phone.

I'm getting really mixed reviews both online and from people that have owned the phones.

I am not that technically minded and have allways had very basic phones but want to get a really nice phone and use it possibly for music, def for internet browsing, email, social networking etc...
    Also can't wait to use it as a kindle (sure this is pre-installed app on the galaxy and I think it's a free app on the i-phone 4 but not too sure??)

Anyway looking for recomendations..

The sensible thing would be to go with the free Galaxy but would hate to get it and regret not going for the i-phone so any advice is appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Go for the Galaxy if you really want to read books, due to the bigger screen. Personally, if that really is an intended use, I would wait a couple months and get the Galaxy II, it has a better screen, which might be easier on the eyes, which is also slightly bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd wait for the new phones to come out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Bought a Galaxy S last week and love it! I have no experience with the iphone, had been looking at the Galaxy S for a while but definately glad I got it, think its a great phone ...

I agree its a fantastic phone but i cant stand kies or samsungs support in general. If you're willing to flash it with custom roms etc it reallys is a great phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'd wait for the new phones to come out too.

But aren't new phones going to be coming out every year to keep people upgrading?

• Advertisement

Thats true but there should be a lot of new phones out in April/May. So not too long of a wait and you may even be able to pick the Galaxy S cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I was thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S but then decided not to since there are a batch of new handsets coming out in the next few months. Even if I decided not to get one of the new handsets, the Galaxy S, as other users have already mentioned, will be cheaper by then too so it would be best to wait.

The thing I'm more worried about regarding all the latest batch of handsets is that while they may have impressive specs on paper, 1080p video recording and an 8 MP camera, for example, means nothing if the quality is good, not great. I really wish there was a handset, or handets, that not only had the specs but had the quality to back it up; here's hoping some of the new handsets will provide this.

I wish they'd concentrate on better battery life instead. Who needs a bloody dual core in a phone?

xtal191 wrote: »
    I wish they'd concentrate on better battery life instead. Who needs a bloody dual core in a phone?

The dual cores are touted as being substantially more energy efficient (-30%), that's why.

That might be true but we wont find out until they're released. God only knows how much the things will cost.

• Advertisement

€605, will it cost you.

If you want battery life, as I keep mentioning, get a Samsung Wave S8500. :D

Its such crazy money for a phone!! Although i did have a wave, great little phone just wasnt a fan of bada.

People will buy them by the basket load though, just like they do iPhones, which cost about the same.

Most of them will get them on contract from a provider and kid themselves they are paying less for it that way, just as they do with all the pricey smartphones. Carrying around phones that cost more than a decent laptop seems a bit crazy to me.

I am not really into the whole apps thing so the Wave is ideal for me. The one and only app/feature that was lacking was internet radio, now there is a good app for it and I am happy. When GSM Arena tested the Waves battery life it was the best of any smartphone. AFAIK it still is. However, when they did their tests, it was still on the original release firmware. With the latest release firmwares, the battery life has increased at least 25% I would say.

THE SGII will have a 1650 mah battery, the wave's is 1500. So if the claimed 30% power saving over the Hummingbird processor pans out, it should get decent battery life, even with the bigger screen.

Samsung are apparently going to make a cheapie version of the SGII with an LCD screen instead of OLED and a Tegra 2 processor instead of their own Exynos. I will bet the battery life of this version wont be great.

Advertisement