Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange Sat Setup Questions? :P

• 17-03-2011 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭

Ehm not sure if this is the right section for this but I need to find out some info if you all dont mind

I currently have a dish pointed at 19.2e and am doin ok with it but i cannot get 28.2e due to trees blocking the line of sight needed (bit wierd considering i cna get 19.2e).... So I am left with one option in order to ensure getting 28.2e:

Back of the yard - can you recommend a setup?

I have no wall so I need a 6-8-10 foot tripod plus it would take nearly 70-100 metres of cable (need to measure it properly) i think to reach the optimum position - I have to make sure it is at the back of the yard to ensure a clean line of sight over the trees which are 1.5 to 1.75 times the height of the two story house ( being within 20 to 40 metres of these trees) -

do you know a budget way to do this may i ask? I am currently using a portable lidl dish attached to the house with a clamp to recieve 19.2e (makeshift effort i know :P)

Or would a steel pole put into the ground do the same job (preferably without having to concrete it in)?

Also would i need a specific high quality cable for the distance required? Or is there any way of sending sat signals wirelessly or is that just too expensive if so?

Sorry if its a bit vague but im not sure how to set all this up and exactly what i will need for such a setup myself :)

And Cheers for any feedback provided on this unusual request :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Ehm not sure if this is the right section for this but I need to find out some info if you all dont mind

I currently have a dish pointed at 19.2e and am doin ok with it but i cannot get 28.2e due to trees blocking the line of sight needed (bit wierd considering i cna get 19.2e).... So I am left with one option in order to ensure getting 28.2e:

Back of the yard - can you recommend a setup?

I have no wall so I need a 6-8-10 foot tripod plus it would take nearly 70-100 metres of cable (need to measure it properly) i think to reach the optimum position - I have to make sure it is at the back of the yard to ensure a clean line of sight over the trees which are 1.5 to 1.75 times the height of the two story house ( being within 20 to 40 metres of these trees) -

do you know a budget way to do this may i ask? I am currently using a portable lidl dish attached to the house with a clamp to recieve 19.2e (makeshift effort i know :P)

Or would a steel pole put into the ground do the same job (preferably without having to concrete it in)?

Also would i need a specific high quality cable for the distance required? Or is there any way of sending sat signals wirelessly or is that just too expensive if so?

Sorry if its a bit vague but im not sure how to set all this up and exactly what i will need for such a setup myself :)

And Cheers for any feedback provided on this unusual request :)
    I had to install my dishes in the back garden on a ten feet long and sturdy two inch galvanised steel pole with a proper galvanised two inch steel plate or stand bolted in. I concreted them both in two feet under the ground. I haven't got a fifteen feet long ladder to turn the old dish already installed up on the wall and neither did the Landlord at the time. I put lots of extra concrete under and above the pole and bolt in stand. Three or four feet under the ground would be better. Use your bubble spirit level, the pole. dish etc all have to be dead straight and level including the fittings, LNB arm etc. Unless a smaller tripod could be used which I seriously doubt then I don't know what you can do other than that or putting a pole in to a huge galvanised steel bucket and filling it up with concrete to its brim. You may have too many obstacles in your way to receive a signal to the dish. The larger the dish the better, multiple LNB brackets could be fitted with quad or dual LNB outputs and diseqc switches can be used to connect them to each satellite receiver. Watty is the man to answer your questions. he is brilliant! Triax TX
    125, Webro WF125 OR Philex PF125 are suitable for long satellite or digital terrestrial tv runs. I hope that you succeed. There are more FTA WMC channels and movie channels available at Badr/Arabsat at 26 degrees east by the way available in English. A one metre or larger dish would be suitable depending on location. A strong gale would knock your pole and damage the rest of your sat equipment if you don't use lots of concrete, about two bags of it and eight to ten large bags of all in one ballast. I did a 4:1 mix Four shovel fulls of that mixed with one shovel full of cement at a time until you use it all up. Make sure that the mix is not too wet and it should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

FREETV wrote: »
    I had to install my dishes in the back garden on a ten feet long and sturdy two inch galvanised steel pole with a proper galvanised two inch steel plate or stand bolted in. I concreted them both in two feet under the ground. I haven't got a fifteen feet long ladder to turn the old dish already installed up on the wall and neither did the Landlord at the time. I put lots of extra concrete under and above the pole and bolt in stand. Three or four feet under the ground would be better. Use your bubble spirit level, the pole. dish etc all have to be dead straight and level including the fittings, LNB arm etc. Unless a smaller tripod could be used which I seriously doubt then I don't know what you can do other than that or putting a pole in to a huge galvanised steel bucket and filling it up with concrete to its brim. You may have too many obstacles in your way to receive a signal to the dish. The larger the dish the better, multiple LNB brackets could be fitted with quad or dual LNB outputs and diseqc switches can be used to connect them to each satellite receiver. Watty is the man to answer your questions. he is brilliant! Triax TX
    125, Webro WF125 OR Philex PF125 are suitable for long satellite or digital terrestrial tv runs. I hope that you succeed. There are more FTA WMC channels and movie channels available at Badr/Arabsat at 26 degrees east by the way available in English. A one metre or larger dish would be suitable depending on location. A strong gale would knock your pole and damage the rest of your sat equipment if you don't use lots of concrete, about two bags of it and eight to ten large bags of all in one ballast. I did a 4:1 mix Four shovel fulls of that mixed with one shovel full of cement at a time until you use it all up. Make sure that the mix is not too wet and it should suffice.

Cheers for posting all the details mate....ill check out lyngsat for arab sat and see if ill go for that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

How accurately have you surveyed your options, can you get a 28E signal on the small Lidl dish at the location you have chosen?
    Are you sure it won't work attached to the house; have you the correct elevation angle (about 4-5 deg. lower than for 19.2E).
    Have you ever tried a bigger dish?

How accurately have you surveyed your options, can you get a 28E signal on the small Lidl dish at the location you have chosen?
    Are you sure it won't work attached to the house; have you the correct elevation angle (about 4-5 deg. lower than for 19.2E).
    Have you ever tried a bigger dish?

Can pick up a few 28.2 channels (freesat mainly) when there are no leaves on the trees ( got lucky today - usually impossible to get 28.2e ) but still the signal quality is up and down like a yoyo but the signal strength is steady at 89% so theres lots of breakup plus i allign it to bbc channels (nearly impossible due to quality fluctuations) for example the other channels are barely visible due to signal quality fluctuating all over the place...i dont have the permisson to bolt a dish to the chimney or walls so thats why the portable dish is in use really - is there a dish like the lidl one but 65cm may i ask? So i could simply attach it to the current setup may i ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Trees may or may not be the issue.

Have you skewed the LNB enough for 28.2E? It needs to be skewed more than when the dish is pointed at 19E. On a small dish, it might make a huge difference.

Portable dish is probably only about 45cm. It's possible to get 28E on that, but not much room for rain fade, and the channels on Eurobird (28.5E) will be harder to get. A 60cm Sky dish (or similar) will make things a lot easier, and the fixings are more suited for permanent installation than the camping dish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

Take a look at http://www.dishpointer.com.
    It shows the allowable height for obstacles along the LOS & gives LNB skew figures.
    Works well for my location as I can zoom in fully on my house.

tmcw wrote: »
    Trees may or may not be the issue.

Have you skewed the LNB enough for 28.2E? It needs to be skewed more than when the dish is pointed at 19E. On a small dish, it might make a huge difference.

Portable dish is probably only about 45cm. It's possible to get 28E on that, but not much room for rain fade, and the channels on Eurobird (28.5E) will be harder to get. A 60cm Sky dish (or similar) will make things a lot easier, and the fixings are more suited for permanent installation than the camping dish.

Yep its at the same angle as when i was viewing all of 28.2e in dublin before i moved back down the country- i was able to pick up the sky uk and roi platform then and ive just gone through a load of manual tps to get a good few missing channels and noticed that im picking up all the freesat platforms/transponders with varying signal but for the most part the sky uk/roi transponders which host quite a few fta channels like cbs and and so on are coming up with 0% signal....it could well be the dish that is the problem - might not be big enough but it was able to get all the channels in dublin

It must be the trees i think but it could well be that the dish is too small....ill double check the angle of the lmb to the dish tho....cheers for all the feedback and advice so far folks

Am definitly thinking of going down the 10 foot pole route since i have a spare sky dish (not a mini dish and just remembered i have one in the attic lol )but ill see if ican get a stable signal on the portable one first from where its located at the mo

To be honest i didnt expect to pick up 28.2e especially since i was checking out a tp for 19.2 eurosport hd fta at the time lol

Take a look at http://www.dishpointer.com.
    It shows the allowable height for obstacles along the LOS & gives LNB skew figures.
    Works well for my location as I can zoom in fully on my house.

Cheers ill have a look at that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

the further west you go the bigger the dish required for stable reception.

John mac wrote: »
    the further west you go the bigger the dish required for stable reception.

Just south of arklow i am. Still i think a 65cm dish would be best anyways...didnt realise bbc hd was up and running. Fabulous looking as well. Cheers for the advise and tips folks btw :D

Think ill be going down the back yard pole route :) to ensure full reception.

• Advertisement
Advertisement