Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish lotto odds!

Options
  • 17-03-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭

Hi.

The odds of winning the Irish lotto are 1 in 8,145,060.
    I presume that is for one line. What would the odds be for doing 3 lines, 5 lines, etc.?

Also, which has better odds? Doing one line quickpick for 52 weeks or doing the lotto one day a year with 52 lines?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

What would the odds be for doing 3 lines, 5 lines, etc.?

Also, which has better odds? Doing one line quickpick for 52 weeks or doing the lotto one day a year with 52 lines?

3 in 8,145,060 and 5 in 8,145,060, respectively.

Odds of winning selection are the same with regard to the latter question, however, differing jackpot amounts mean that it can be more or less +ev on some weeks than others.

Did I pass this Junior Cert probability exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

It can be more or less what?
    Also minimum you can do in one draw is 2 lines.

Im sure there was a thread about this lying around here somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I presume that is for one line. What would the odds be for doing 3 lines, 5 lines, etc.?

They all have the same odds...

Your chance with any one line is 1 in 8,145,060. Doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100, the only difference is you have 100 1 in 8,145,060 chances with 100 lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

It can be more or less what?
    Also minimum you can do in one draw is 2 lines.

Im sure there was a thread about this lying around here somewhere?

There's one every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

dar83 wrote: »
    They all have the same odds...

Your chance with any one line is 1 in 8,145,060. Doesn't matter if you have 1 or 100, the only difference is you have 100 1 in 8,145,060 chances with 100 lines.

Exactly, it's just like backing the same horse two or three times.

With regards to which gives you better odds, doing 52 lines one day, or doing the lotto 52 times - doing it 52 times in one day gives you better odds of winning.

52 Draws - Each draw you have a 8,145,060 to 1 chance of winning.

52 Lines - You now have a better odds of winning as you are covering more (52) possible outcomes at one draw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

the odds are you wont win ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Been thinking about this for a bit,

Would a better lotto system be that all numbers are generated randomly, IE quick pick only.
    But once a combination of six numbers has been chosen, that combination is removed from the pool.
    It would mean no more sharing of jackpots, maybe it's just the greedy bollix in me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i know how to scam scratch cards.

just sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Overheal wrote: »
    i know how to scam scratch cards.

just sayin.

No you dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

As far as the latter question goes, you would actually be slightly better off playing 52 lines all in one day. If combination A doesn't work out, then that comes out of the 8,145,060 possible draws, so that combination B now has a 1 in 8,145,059 chance of winning, combination C a 1 in 8,145,058 chance, and so on.

If you play one a week, then the chance always stays at 1 in 8,145,060 no matter how many times you lose.

Pretty sure of that anyway...perhaps some mathematician will correct me :p

Columbia wrote: »
    As far as the latter question goes, you would actually be slightly better off playing 52 lines all in one day. If combination A doesn't work out, then that comes out of the 8,145,060 possible draws, so that combination B now has a 1 in 8,145,059 chance of winning, combination C a 1 in 8,145,058 chance, and so on.

Pretty sure of that anyway...perhaps some mathematician will correct me :p

No, if the OP bought 52 lines, his odds of winning the lottery would go from:

8,145,060/1 to 156,635/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

OutlawPete wrote: »

This can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

mickdw wrote: »
    No you dont
    yeah huh! I learned it in a magaazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That is definitely not correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tahuti

kippy wrote: »
    That is definitely not correct.

I've been doing some configuring and it turns out he's right.

Sorry, Pete.

Tahuti wrote: »
    I've been doing some configuring and it turns out he's right.

Sorry, Pete.

No bother, I'm used to people telling me I'm wrong when when it comes to probability ;)

Actually, just doing ONE extra line in the Lotto increases your mathematical odds of winning it from 8,145,060/1 to: 4,072,530/1.

It's not even that hard to bring the odds of the winning the lottery all the way down from 8,145,060/1 to just: 814/1!

All you would need to do is spend €15,000 on 10,000 lines (€1.50 a line right?) to have those odds of winning it.

You'd want to be mad of course to spend €15,000 on the lottery, but if you did - you'd be guaranteed to get the 814/1.

If were you rich and insane, you could even make the odds of winning the same as flipping a coin by buying 4,072,530 lines, as then you'd have a 50:50 chance of winning (they still could share it though, if they were unlucky enough that someone else also had the winning six numbers that week).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Exactly, it's just like backing the same horse two or three times.

With regards to which gives you better odds, doing 52 lines one day, or doing the lotto 52 times - doing it 52 times in one day gives you better odds of winning.

52 Draws - Each draw you have a 8,145,060 to 1 chance of winning.

52 Lines - You now have a better odds of winning as you are covering more (52) possible outcomes at one draw.
    Don't see how so Pete???
    You have a better chance in the one draw you enter. But surely this comes at a price of having zero chances in the 51 draws you didn't enter?
    Swings and roundabouts, no?

lugha wrote: »
    Don't see how so Pete???
    You have a better chance in the one draw you enter. But surely this comes at a price of having zero chances in the 51 draws you didn't enter?
    Swings and roundabouts, no?

To be honest, I'm not sure how to work out the odds of doing many different lotteries.

Just know that the odds of winning with 52 lines are 156,635/1.

So, is your thinking that the odds are the same for both then?

lugha wrote: »
    .. surely this comes at a price of having zero chances in the 51 draws you didn't enter?

To add, I do see where you're coming from by the way, just that everytime you do just one line in a draw, your 'mathimathical' odds will be 8,145,060/1 no matter how many draws you happen to have done before (all-draws-being independent-events-and-not-having-a-'direct'-effect-on-the-next and all that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I think there is a thread over in the maths forum. And if not, I'd say ask those guys, they'll definitely explain it ya to ya.

I'd try but too lazy and tired.

But I think that thinking of it in odds is slightly more tricky than probabilities. (Or for me anyways). Basically if you buy two lines you have twice as large a probability of winning, but this number is still so close to zero, you might as well not waste your money. It only becomes significant if you were to buy thousands of lines, as Pete mentions.

And as for having a quick pick only lotto, with no line given twice - yes this would eliminate jacpots being split, but also the jackpot would be won more often, as you have to think about people who had the same line but didn't win. So it would be less likely to roll over. So the jackpot might not be as big?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Used to do lotto regularly and then one day looked seriously at odds of winning and also read somewhere before that the Lottery is a "voluntary tax on the desparate and stupid" and really had an effect on me and I haven't done it since.

Used the same numbers all the time and checked my numbers and only had 2 match 4 wins totaling about €60 in last 3 years.

Used to do 4 panels with plus in two draws, so that's €16 a week or €832 a year. So last 3 years I would have spent €2496 and won around 60.

Think it makes that quote ring true and glad I don't do it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You have better chance of winning by doing 52 in 1 week than one in each 52 weeks. The difference is tiny, but real.

Think of it like this... do you have a better chance of winning if you did 8145061 lines in one week, or one line over 8145061 weeks?

Hint; chance of winning is 100% in first case and about 65% in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

did this in maths class when i was in school,

we worked it out that for prize to odds of winning ratio,

the monday millions was the best for winning,
    the irish lotto weekly draw was second,
    and the euromillions was third, despite being the biggest prize.

so if your in it to win it, play the monday millions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

3DataModem wrote: »
    You have better chance of winning by doing 52 in 1 week than one in each 52 weeks. The difference is tiny, but real.

Think of it like this... do you have a better chance of winning if you did 8145061 lines in one week, or one line over 8145061 weeks?

Hint; chance of winning is 100% in first case and about 65% in the second.

But at the same time, with the second method you also have the opportunity to win it more than once!

Haven't worked out odds though... just floating ideas.

3DataModem wrote: »

How do you work out that the difference is "tiny".

For every one of the 52 weeks, the odds of winning it are: 8,145,060/1.

For the week you do 52 lines, the odds of winning it are: 156,635/1.

Think of it like this.

Horse race with eight runners.

If you back the eight runners in one race, you are 100% sure of winning.

If you back one horse in eight races, you might never win and the odds will always be 7/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can explain why Pete is right, but I can't explain the actual mathematics behind it.

Let's for arguments sake say that the odds of winning are 8m to 1 (I don't want to have to keep typing out that number).

If I was to buy 8m lines (all different) tomorrow, I am guaranteed to win. I have bought every combination, so I can't lose.

However, if I was to buy one line per draw for the next 8 million draws, there is a chance that I won't win at all, ever. There is no guarantee that in one of those 8 million draws, the numbers on my ticket and the numbers drawn will match. However, it's plainly obvious that the odds of striking gold at least once are better than 8m to one.

So we can infer that doing 52 lines an on an individual draw is more likely to land you the jackpot than doing a single line on 52 draws.

But I can't produce any maths to verify this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭erictheviking1

Formula for working out Lotto odds is 45x44x43x42x41x40/720
    where 720 = 6x5x4x3x2x1= 720

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

So, is your thinking that the odds are the same for both then?
    Well I was thinking that! But in light of subsequent posts, I am now thinking something else :o

By my calculations

Buying 52 lines in 1 lotto gives you 1 chance in 156635.8 of winning
    Buying 1 line in 52 lotto gives you 1 chance in 156636.3 of winning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

If you back the eight runners in one race, you are 100% sure of winning.

If you back one horse in eight races, you might never win and the odds will always be 7/1.

if you back a different horse each race you could win 8 times

Advertisement