Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky HD Box kills the phone line help?

• 17-03-2011 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

When the Sky HD box is plugged into its phone socket,the phone line is cut off.Have changed the phone to box cable,with no effect.The set-up has not altered recently ,and has worked for over a year.The phone socket works when a phone is connected instead of the box,and using a filter (There is also Sky Broadband) makes no difference.
    Sky tech people no help,suggesting an "Engineer" could call out to have a look for £65.
    Other strange things happening in box but may not be related,when fast forwarding the minute clock suddenly jumps several minutes at the start making it hard to get back into the prog after 4 minutes for example,and a pause may sometimes occur and "Press Sky" appears?
    One other quick question,how to alter audio level out of box,ie line out level into other equiptment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

have you tried rebooting the box. plug it out for 30 seconds and re start it?

do you need the phone line connected (only required if you have multiroom)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

John mac wrote: »
    have you tried rebooting the box. plug it out for 30 seconds and re start it?

do you need the phone line connected (only required if you have multiroom)
    I did try that thanks,many times.(Although you may not think it from my name)
    Maybe as you imply I should just forget not having the interactive facility.There are some perhaps old wives tales about Sky interogating the box via the phone and perhaps software glitches may occur as I described,if phone line disconnected.
    At the end of a long frustrating call to Sky I told them they could keep the box and I would keep the phone.
    I was told by a supplier that it was even poss to switch the box on and back off from standby as we sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

unplug the phone from the box
    i have multi-room and haven't had the phone plugged in in years, they sent a few letters at the start but i would just plug it back in for a while but stopped after the letters stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Skerries wrote: »
    unplug the phone from the box
    i have multi-room and haven't had the phone plugged in in years, they sent a few letters at the start but i would just plug it back in for a while but stopped after the letters stopped
    Thanks for that,I agree with you.
    I just wondered why the box was causing perhaps a short on the line,no noise is even detectable.
    Some years ago when an old Sky box was hit by lightning,I had to replace it and was told at that time that the Modem was gone.When I mentioned this to "Sky Tech" women ,I got my head in my hand and was told there is no modem in the HD box!(Lightning comes down the phone line and killed the modem,because the box is earthed,the phone still works because it isn't?)
    Anyway I will leave the phone line disconnected in case of lightning strikes!
    Have enough problems over on terestrial boards trying to receive this new fangled Freeview HD from IOM and Wales.Easy is getting harder every day.

Advertisement