Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total Fitness closed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

F*king rents again!

Greedy landlords will ruin this country! Sorry to anyoneone out of a job!

Also sorry if anyone paid a full years membership upfront in jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

According to another thread they had stopped taking a year's money upfront. Not sure whether that was more recent or whether it was happening in January. Terrible for the staff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

According to another thread they had stopped taking a year's money upfront. Not sure whether that was more recent or whether it was happening in January. Terrible for the staff.

I had only joined on Monday and done my assessment yesterday ,

No joining fee , no contract , just 30 days notice to cancel and no charge from now until this time next month.

Was going to go up this morning and just logged onto the website to check it was open for sure and seen the notice,

Myself and my mate had joined the Sandyford one and they were looking for €62 pm and he rang the Castleknock branch and they offered us €49 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A friend of mine renewed his membership in Sandyford for €499 last month.

Tbh I haven't gone in a long time. We were joking last night that we were going to consider going today.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mouzey

im a regular there try to go 4-6 times a week
    im sick over it
    its a handy gym never too packed decent equipment
    have to find somewhere else now
    just as well i was direct debit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Toosey

I rang them last night to see what time they were open at today and was told 9am only to find it closed this morning .. While I am not surprised that they closed considering their prices I am surprised it was so sudden, especially because they are an English company and are still operating in the UK (correct me if I am wrong). With that in mind I would have thought the staff and members, including myself deserved a bit more consideration..<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just wondering if they got a lot of money from the council/NRA when the N3 works were going on? It was said that the location of the gym was partly responsible for the ridiculous road layout on the N3 inbound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

athtrasna wrote: »
    Just wondering if they got a lot of money from the council/NRA when the N3 works were going on? It was said that the location of the gym was partly responsible for the ridiculous road layout on the N3 inbound.

One of the worst planning decisions ever

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

Friend of mine paid €600 to join 3 weeks ago. Absolute joke as she paid it all up front and they never even battered an eye lid when clearly this was in the pipeline awhile....

Any ideas/rumours what'll happen to existing members? Totally fooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

breffnij wrote: »
    Friend of mine paid €600 to join 3 weeks ago. Absolute joke as she paid it all up front and they never even battered an eye lid when clearly this was in the pipeline awhile....

Any ideas/rumours what'll happen to existing members? Totally fooked?

Yes, it's lousy but often the frontline staff who process these memberships are the last to know about what's happening so may not be able to advise (or in some cases, ordered by management to say nothing to the public). I was going to sign up too based on the really cheap annual fees advised in this forum earlier this week. Thank god I didn't as all members who have handed over money are now treated as creditors per today's Metro Herald so will have to wait to get their money back (if that happens!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It won't help their business in the UK once word gets back that people paying in advance in Ireland got screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

mouzey wrote: »
    im a regular there try to go 4-6 times a week
    im sick over it
    its a handy gym never too packed decent equipment
    have to find somewhere else now
    just as well i was direct debit

I would cancel that direct debit with your bank if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

if the rent was the only issue, another group might take over and reopen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

That's a right pain :( I've been going on and off for the last 5/6 years to Malahide and now all of a sudden bang its closed :( There were staff outside the centre from Westwood giving out offers n such, if anyone's interested Im sure they are still there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

fptosca wrote: »
    if the rent was the only issue, another group might take over and reopen it.

Yea I thought the same, but by then I'd say a lot of ppl will have moved on and will be locked in other 12 month contracts

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I would cancel that direct debit with your bank if I were you.

yeah i cancelled it that morning, i got a years membership in northwood in santry. only €250 and it looks like a great gym

surely it will be taken over by ben dunne or someone???
    there isnt any other gyms in the area as far as i know
    bar the gaa clubs

surely it will be taken over by ben dunne or someone???
    there isnt any other gyms in the area as far as i know
    bar the gaa clubs

In D15 there's Westwood, Luttrelstown, NAC for starters...plenty of options and that's before the hotels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Would have been cheaper to level it and build it somewhere else, just to make the junction a bit more straight forward. Its a bit nuts.

In D15 there's Westwood, Luttrelstown, NAC for starters...plenty of options and that's before the hotels

Do any of the local gyms have physio's that work within the gym?

• Advertisement

apologies i meant d.17!!!

apologies i meant d.17!!!

Is there a Dublin 17 board? Google says Bonnybrook Fitness Centre but I can't see any recent links for it so not sure if it's still there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I live in Castleknock and this place is only ten minutes away, it's an awesome set up. You should give a call down for a tour. Lot of local GAA Teams and Intercounty Stars train there. Have a look at the deal they're doing, its an absolute steal.

http://www.boardsdeals.ie/deal/70-instead-of-160-for-2-months-gym-membership-plus-unlimited-classes-at-Informed-Perfomance-Dublin-11/155/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I read somewhere this week that Lidl are interested in buying the sites of the Total Fitness gyms in Dublin and converting them into their supermarkets. Does D15 really need another Lidl??? I'd welcome an Aldi but not another Lidl!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ongarboy wrote: »
    I read somewhere this week that Lidl are interested in buying the sites of the Total Fitness gyms in Dublin and converting them into their supermarkets. Does D15 really need another Lidl??? I'd welcome an Aldi but not another Lidl!!

I think the D15 one could be ruled out for this. Although there is history of poor planning on this site, there is no way they'd compound it by allowing a supermarket there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm sorry to hear if anyone has been burned by Total Fitness closing down. However, it was an outrage that the gym was allowed to be located at that site in the first place.

It was an example of breathtakingly poor planning and foresight.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    ...it was an outrage that the gym was allowed to be located at that site in the first place.

It was an example of breathtakingly poor planning and foresight.

In fairness, its been there a long time. Can't remember when it was built, but its over 10yrs ago. It should have been knocked rather than twist the junction around it. Its pretty nuts they did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

BostonB wrote: »
    In fairness, its been there a long time. Can't remember when it was built, but its over 10yrs ago. It should have been knocked rather than twist the junction around it. Its pretty nuts they did that.

I'm guessing the owners knew they hit the jackpot when planning permission was approved for the gym - right on the junction of two major national routes. Any road upgrades (which were inevitable even at that stage) would need road widening and junction changes. This would either bring more traffic or force Fingal to buy the site at a massive premium.

A terrible piece of planning.

I can't imagine twisting the interchange was a cheaper option than buying them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

BostonB wrote: »
    In fairness, its been there a long time. Can't remember when it was built, but its over 10yrs ago.

This. Do remember that when it was originally opened, the roundabout at the entrance to Blanch Village was still there, and the entrance to the gym was actually located just off of what was left of the River Road on that side of the M50.

In fact I'd say it's been more than 10 years, I can definitely remember going to FXB's when it was there sometime in the 90's.

Advertisement