Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full glands in dogs

• 17-03-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hey

My dog (retriever) has always got full anal glands and has to get them cleared out constantly.

One of the vets in the practise had mentioned getting them removed but that it is a serious operation with incontinent consequences if it goes wrong. Sthg that I didn't think I would be prepared to go through as that would be a very poor quality of life for him. He is only 5.

After watching him dragging his bum along the ground for the umpteenth time I decided that I would enquire more, only to find that that vet has moved and no one else in the practise does it.

Anyway the new vet said I should increase his fibre intake and that might help the problem.

My issue is that he has a tendency to put on weight and I have only got him back to his correct weight so I am nervous about adding in a weetabix to his dinner / breakfast.

He is on Royal Canin Neutered food with 2 small scoops morning and evening. If I pop one weetabix in, would I reduce his food by 1 scoop??

If anyone has had this problem, could you please post? I am looking for some advice or to find out if anyone has corrected this problem.

Thank you all. x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

A raw chicken wing a couple of times a week should help, it is very good at keeping the anal glands cleaned out. It has to be raw, don't give him a cooked chicken bone. Just watch him the first few times he has them, make sure he knows how to chew them properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

While trying to get a long term solution, it's a relatively simple (if unpleasant) process to empty them yourself using disposable medical gloves and a pad.

Google for videos, or get a vet/vet nurse (or groomer who also performs it) to show you how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

hey thanks for the replies.

I don't think that I could it myself. I would rather have a vet inflict pain on him that it be me as it is sore experience for him.

Re the raw chicken wing: he has such a huge mouth, (i.e. he would just swallow it all and very quickly) am not sure if it would get stuck??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hey OP I had the same issue with my fella.

Try a different food, RC, while really good, is very very rich. We've had Harley on a food imported from Germany (Bewi I think) for the last few months and it's made a huge difference to his glands. We've had no problems. His farts are a bit worse, but it's still a good trade.

I was given fibre powder by the vet, Harley wont eat it, but it might be worth a try for you. You can also buy it much cheaper in health food shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Something like a raw carrot may help. It'll bulk up the stool so it squeezes the glands but is pretty much undigestable so it's unlikely to put any weight on him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

verywell wrote: »
    hey thanks for the replies.

I don't think that I could it myself. I would rather have a vet inflict pain on him that it be me as it is sore experience for him.

Re the raw chicken wing: he has such a huge mouth, (i.e. he would just swallow it all and very quickly) am not sure if it would get stuck??

A lot of giant breeds eat chicken wings no problem at all. When introducing it, just hold one end of it so that he's crunching on it, then he won't swallow it whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our GR used to have a stinky bum all the time when he was on RC - both glands and farts. He never skooted along the floor more like the glands were oozing all the time. :( Since switching to Burns and now Luath we rarely smell it because he has firmer poo so the glands empty themself. Also I've managed to keep his weight down no probs on the new food - he has to be kept slim as he has problems with his legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Revs

My basset cross also needs to have his glands emptied regularly and I do it myself. It's a very simple procedure and not all all unpleasant for the dog. You do not need to insert a finger into the anus to do it. If you look at the anal opening and then, place your fingers at the 4p.m. and 8p.m. position just underneath, then massage until you feel the glands (like two little lumps) and the gunk will just come out easily. It stinks but it's worth it if it gives reflief.
    Sorry for being so graphic but it's a necessary evil to keep them happy!
    The advice above about googling is good - my vet showed me how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Revs wrote: »
    My basset cross also needs to have his glands emptied regularly and I do it myself. It's a very simple procedure and not all all unpleasant for the dog. You do not need to insert a finger into the anus to do it. If you look at the anal opening and then, place your fingers at the 4p.m. and 8p.m. position just underneath, then massage until you feel the glands (like two little lumps) and the gunk will just come out easily. It stinks but it's worth it if it gives reflief.
    Sorry for being so graphic but it's a necessary evil to keep them happy!
    The advice above about googling is good - my vet showed me how to do it.
    I agree its really simple to do, Charly hops into the bath and barks when she needs hers emptied......... I kid you not! She loves having them emptied seems to give great relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Unfortunately for my dog it is painful and he hates getting them done. This has happened to him since he was a pup, no matter what food he has eaten, he always has full glands :(

Would anyone know if I introduce fibre to his food, how much would I have to reduce his normal food by? Or how would I work it out?

x

• Advertisement
Advertisement