Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost half the lights in my house

Options
  • 17-03-2011 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Firstly I appoligise for my ignorance, I dont know much about electics

I had a friend do some work in my house yesterday, putting up a stud wall, he had to disconnect a light socket and since then we have lost the lights in the rooms surronding the room that the work was in.

Is it just a matter that because there is no light anymore in 1 room, the rest of the line has lost power so all I would have to do is reconnect the light again (hope that makes sense)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

did you check your Fuse box to see if any of them a tripped

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

hairyslug wrote: »
    Firstly I appoligise for my ignorance, I dont know much about electics

I had a friend do some work in my house yesterday, putting up a stud wall, he had to disconnect a light socket and since then we have lost the lights in the rooms surronding the room that the work was in.

Is it just a matter that because there is no light anymore in 1 room, the rest of the line has lost power so all I would have to do is reconnect the light again (hope that makes sense)
    Yes more than likely, the rest of the lights have no neutral to them put the light holder back on , if not use a junction box .knock the power off first at the fuse board if he dosent remember where the wires go put a photo of them up and i can tell you.Be careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

hairyslug wrote: »

Yes the neutrals to the light that has been removed need to be connected back together most likely. The light fitting does not need to be refitted until the wall is ready, just the neutrals connected in a connector. Turn off power to all lights first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

so it looks like i have a blue, red and black wire in the ceiling but only blue and red 1s in the socket, what do i do with the spare black wire

The blue wire is normally with the black wire,turn the power of first .Make sure the wires are not loose when your done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Tifosi

jj build wrote: »
    The blue wire is normally with the black wire,turn the power of first .Make sure the wires are not loose when your done.

Isn't the blue(neutral) wire off the light flex and the black(neutral) the main neutral.

If there is only one neutral, then this is not looped and he has only lost that light?

Tifosi wrote: »
    Isn't the blue(neutral) wire off the light flex and the black(neutral) the main neutral.

If there is only one neutral, then this is not looped and he has only lost that light?
    Very true ,if that's what he means ?? Was thinking somebody replaced the other black wire with a blue at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ok; first and foremost, what are you calling a socket? The light switch?

It's obvious you have a mixture of old and new codes when it comes to the wiring, but I'll say no more for now until you can clarify.

Tell us what you have poking out of the ceiling, and out of the wall, you may have dropped either a looped phase or neutral depending-bear in mind, all we can do here is advise without being able to check the circuit in actuality.

edit; and are the wires to the light switch individual cables?

The fact he says there are reds and blacks would indicate the house has red and black wiring, but blue neutrals were added in for extra lighting possibly. Its not very clear what he means alright. Is it lighting 5 amp sockets the OP is talking about?

Some photos required here i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The fact he says there are reds and blacks would indicate the house has red and black wiring, but blue neutrals were added in for extra lighting possibly. Its not very clear what he means alright. Is it lighting 5 amp sockets the OP is talking about?

Possibly, But then you've a blue at the switch. As you know a blue isn't always a neutral, and a red isn't always a phase.

The terminology is misleading, as one would expect from someone who isn't in the trade or has knowledge, but at the same time, I'd be getting a sparks in to have a look at the whole thing (default answer, I know, but rarely unrequired).

Possibly, But then you've a blue at the switch. As you know a blue isn't always a neutral, and a red isn't always a phase.

The terminology is misleading, as one would expect from someone who isn't in the trade or has knowledge, but at the same time, I'd be getting a sparks in to have a look at the whole thing (default answer, I know, but rarely unrequired).

Sounds about right, and in a house, any colour could be anything. If a switch is being called a socket then certainly time for the sparks.

Advertisement