Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fta

• 17-03-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im new to this and am looking for some advice on fta recievers. I have already got a sky satelite set up and am goin to buy a new reciever.

Which would be the best to buy in your opinion?

Also do any pick up both English channels and RTE? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

www.saortv.info

See channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

So there the Irish fta channels. Probably better geting the English ones.
    Any advice on the best recievers to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

You could use your present sky reciever for satellite FTA (English stations) and get a saorview (as the above link) receiver for Irish stations with an aerial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

To get the fta channels on a sky receiver simply take the card out,plug the box out and in again(without putting the card back in).Simply pick up a Saorview box or if you have a new tv it should be compatible-check the list in the terrestrial forum to see if it is.
    Viola, fta UK and Irish tv plus money saved.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Unless you want to record them and then you're stuffed. Get a HTPC with a DVBS2 and DVB-T card, install DVBViewer Recording Service and save and stream everything wirelessly around your house. Install an EPG plugin for Freesat and you're set.

How much does it cost to subscribe?

Nothing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

My DVBviewer seems to have the Freesat EPG, somehow, as part of install. Though it's probably a plugin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

No it's standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Hi Guys,

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it, so apologies if it's been done before.

I use an old Sky box to get freeview in one room (have Sky+ in another). Is it possible to just get ESPN without Sky on the freeview box? If so I'm seriously thinking of ditching Sky altogether. I like watching the football but the cost is looking more and more prohibitive.

Apologies if this is off thread but I didn't want to start a new thread if it has been done elsewhere. Mods please move if necessary. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Dammo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I've searched for an answer to this but can't find it, so apologies if it's been done before.

I use an old Sky box to get freeview in one room (have Sky+ in another). Is it possible to just get ESPN without Sky on the freeview box? If so I'm seriously thinking of ditching Sky altogether. I like watching the football but the cost is looking more and more prohibitive.

Apologies if this is off thread but I didn't want to start a new thread if it has been done elsewhere. Mods please move if necessary. Thanks.
    ''Freeview'' is actually a whole other ballgame, lol.

Unfortunately, you need to have an active sky sub, with corresponding card number to get the PPV channels like ESPN.
    I know, it sucks. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dammo wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Have a look in the soccer forum for links to football streams;)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Cheers guys. Yeah, figured as much.

Advertisement