Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open shoot in midlands.

Options
  • 14-03-2011 11:30pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

MNSCI Sporting/Hunting Rifle Shoot

The Midlands National Shooting centre of Ireland are holding an open gallery rifle competition on the 27th March. This is an open competition so all are welcome. The shoot will be for rimfire and centrefire rifles of any make, model, caliber, and design. Entrants must register in the club house prior to shooting/traveling to the windmill range, and the appropriate licenses and proof of insurance must be shown.

All entrants should be on the windmill range for 10:20am and the first detail will start at 10:30am. Registration for the competition will be open until 12 noon, to accomodate those that cannot make the early start. A Range Officer will be in the club house and there will be cease fires every 20 minutes to allow people to travel to and from the windmill range.

Entry fee is €10 per competitor. Re-entrance will depend upon turnout so if there is time you can re-enter either with the same caiber or another if you so wish.

As before you may use any caliber, any sights, moderators, etc. Bipod, front sand bag, etc will be allowed, but absolutely NO FRONT RESTS, and no back bags. So again if you use it in the field you can use it here. All shots will be from the prone position at 100yds.

The priliminary course of fire will be :

4-6 shooters per detail. Your course of fire will be divided into 2 details to be fired at different times. First detail:
    • 4 shots at the deer target.
    • 2-3 minute reload time.
    • 4 more shots at the deer target.

Those in the group that just fired will then come off the firing line, and have the opportunity to relax, let the rifles "rest" while another group does their first detail. Then the group in the first detail will return to the firing line and complete their second detail:
    • 4 shots at the deer target
    • 2-3 minute reload time
    • 4 shots at the deer target.

This format will continue through all the groups of shooters. Total amount of shots will be 16 (spilt into two details of 8). It was decided to reduce the number of shots to 4 at a time to make it fair to lads that only have 4 shot rifles.

The exact target, number of them and style that they will be exposed will be posted on Sunday night/Monday morning both here and on the MNSCI website. The lads always like to try out the targets before confirming.

All this is in preperation for the "Big Shoot" on the 8th of May. The competition then will consist of a mixture of all the shoots so far and to come. The prizes on the 8th of May will reflect the size of the competition, but you'll hear more about that the closer we get to the day. ;)

Should be a great day and will give you all a chance to see what the comp on the 8th May "may" have instore for you. Hope to see you all there.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Does anyone know if the open shoot is going ahead in mdlands on the 27th.

Just wondering as there has bin no post about it.
    I'm looking forward to getting up there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

AFAIK it is going ahead haven't heard anything to say it isn't.I think the format is slightly different to the last one but I'm sure it will be a great day to be had by all

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My apologies lads. I though i had this posted in the Upcoming Events thread, but i hadn't actually. I have merged a copy of the post on the Up/Coming thread with this thread to save starting a new thread.

Sorry again. :o

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

I'd be interested. Couple of finicky question, if someone might be kind enough to answer.
    What kind of sizes are we talking on this deer target? Is it kinda smaller concentric circles in the vital area?
    And is there a time limit on each 4 shots?

Deer target is life size.

Scoring rings in the form of concentric circles around the heart area. Anywhere else will not score.

Shots will be timed. Roughly 3 seconds per exposure. So you will be down, on target, the target will "appear", stay for 3 seconds, then be removed. This will occur for 4 shots. Reload, then repeat. A break while another group does their first detail, then back for your second detail with 4 + 4 shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Idiot proof Ez, cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

If you dont take your shot while on the detail will you be able to take it again like the previous competition?

Unless you have a mechanical issue with your rifle or something similar no.

Hence the reason this comp will be shot with 4 rounds at a time. The biggest issue the last time was with 5 shots some lads had to manually load an extra round. Most rifle will accomodate 4 rounds though so there should be no real issues.

It will be up to the ROs at the end of the day, but as its meant to be a deer/field type shoot constantly giving lads chance after chance is unfair to those that fire first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

What Calibre won the last one in Centrefire?

I know who won it, Don't know what he shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Are all the shots stationary or will there be moving shots?

• Advertisement

Shooters are stationary, the targets are ....................................... :p

(You don't think i'm going to give it all away. There has to be some surprise :D)

What Calibre won the last one in Centrefire?

I know who won it, Don't know what he shoots.

He was using his wife's .243

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    He was using his wife's .243

I remember now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I'm assuming that it's an "open" competition, as in open to non-members....?

tfox wrote: »
    I'm assuming that it's an "open" competition, as in open to non-members....?

yes open to anyone with a rifle of any type with a license and insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Should hopefully make this. Just need to check zero. Will there be an opportunity after the shoot to go back up to the covered range and return zero to 200 yards?

Should hopefully make this. Just need to check zero. Will there be an opportunity after the shoot to go back up to the covered range and return zero to 200 yards?

Yes. Especially if you are one of the first competitors and are just waiting on the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes. Especially if you are one of the first competitors and are just waiting on the results.
    Tack, any chance you could stop replying on behalf of the Midlands club until after you're the range officer or an organiser for the shoot? You have no idea if what IWM wants to do is okay by the RO or not.

Sparks wrote: »
    Tack, any chance you could stop replying on behalf of the Midlands club until after you're the range officer or an organiser for the shoot? You have no idea if what IWM wants to do is okay by the RO or not.

I actually do know it is ok.

The Range has CEASFIRES.
    When a ceasefire is on a person is allowed to leave the windmill range, to go home, to go to the toilet to chat a few mates in the club house; whatever.

From there, The Shooter in question can shoot on the enclosed range when that range is live (Once he has notified the RO of the enclosed range that he has already shown his documentation as registeration for the OPEN Shoot). although the enclosed range is 200 Metres........

However, a .25-06 is only a few clicks at that distance anyway.

If IWM wants to shoot @100 he just dials his scope 6 clicks low and when he leaves dials it back up.

there will be an oppertunity to Zero, as in All competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I actually do know it is ok.

The Range has CEASFIRES.
    When a ceasefire is on a person is allowed to leave the windmill range, to go home, to go to the toilet to chat a few mates in the club house; whatever.

From there, The Shooter in question can shoot on the enclosed range when that range is live (Once he has notified the RO of the enclosed range that he has already shown his documentation as registeration for the OPEN Shoot). although the enclosed range is 200 Metres........

However, a .25-06 is only a few clicks at that distance anyway.

If IWM wants to shoot @100 he just dials his scope 6 clicks low and when he leaves dials it back up.

there will be an oppertunity to Zero, as in All competitions.

AFAIK and as you now seem to be the spokes-man for the range here's where you have it wrong for Dave to shoot at the Midlands.

First off he must be signed in by a member for him to shoot. So just entering a competition will no allow him to shoot freely.

I'll sign you in Dave me auld buddy. :D

Be accopanied by the said member and accompanied whilst he shoots. But then you ALREADY KNEW THAT DIDN'T YOU. :rolleyes:

And the covered ranged is 50m x2 for rimfire only, 100m, 200y and 300m

When your gona bullsh!te do it right willya..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cheers clive. Don't get enough chances to get out and fire a few zeroing shots, so when I'm there, I'd like to get back to my usual zero before I leave, you know yourself.

I am not a spokesperson for anything, place or person.
    Mountains are being made out of molehills here.

Simple question.
    Can IWM rezero?
    Simple answer yes.
    End of message.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Simple answer yes.
    No, the simple answer was that you don't know and shouldn't have said yes on MNSCI's behalf.

Sparks wrote: »
    No, the simple answer was that you don't know and shouldn't have said yes on MNSCI's behalf.

Sparks

I do Know, as I had asked an RO.....

I hate to inerupt the usual bullying session ye guys regularly take part in. All I can offer here is my experience of the last open shoot.
    And bare in mind that I am not a member of midlands and it was my first time shooting there.

On arriving to midlands you must sign in and show relevant paperwork.

You are. Or should I say I was then afforded the opportunity to check my 100y 0 on the range behind the club house. (first time there I don't know the names of the different ranges).

When the time comes to go to the "windmill range". It will be announced.

I then proceeded to my jeep and qued up for the drive over to said range.

Long story short. Comp was great crack. Good to meet all ye lads.

After each firing session the range officer allowed people to come or go from range.

Now his is the relevant bit. When I went back to the club house I was speaking to someone about their rifle and went out to the range behind the club house where people were shooting.
    I was asked if I wanted to shoot by the RO. But I didn't as I was happy with my 0 as it was.

In short. I as a non member was able to shoot before the comp and was asked but I declined if I wanted to shoot after the comp in the range behind the club house which I assume is the enclosed range.

So I would say to IWM. Yes in my experience you will be allowed to re zero your rifle before and after the comp.

I hate to inerupt the usual bullying session ye guys regularly take part in. All I can offer here is my experience of the last open shoot.
    And bare in mind that I am not a member of midlands and it was my first time shooting there.

On arriving to midlands you must sign in and show relevant paperwork.

You are. Or should I say I was then afforded the opportunity to check my 100y 0 on the range behind the club house. (first time there I don't know the names of the different ranges).

When the time comes to go to the "windmill range". It will be announced.

I then proceeded to my jeep and qued up for the drive over to said range.

Long story short. Comp was great crack. Good to meet all ye lads.

After each firing session the range officer allowed people to come or go from range.

Now his is the relevant bit. When I went back to the club house I was speaking to someone about their rifle and went out to the range behind the club house where people were shooting.
    I was asked if I wanted to shoot by the RO. But I didn't as I was happy with my 0 as it was.

In short. I as a non member was able to shoot before the comp and was asked but I declined if I wanted to shoot after the comp in the range behind the club house which I assume is the enclosed range.

So I would say to IWM. Yes in my experience you will be allowed to re zero your rifle before and after the comp.

Your correct about that and thanks for the input. :)

Poulo we all knew that (those of us that are members of the midlands) but we needed to have a bitch fight as well. :eek:

May I also say that I was very impressed with the range set up and now I have to find an excuse not to join

May I also say that I was very impressed with the range set up and now I have to find an excuse not to join

Well you can't say it's too far to travel 'cos I'm on the way and we'll double up. Offers there for next weekend as well, sure you knew that anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

As a side note the covered range is AFAIK: 50yrds, 100yrds, 200yrds and 300 metres.
    Not 50, 100, 200 & 300 metres as previously stated

• Advertisement

As a side note the covered range is AFAIK: 50yrds, 100yrds, 200yrds and 300 metres.
    Not 50, 100, 200 & 300 metres as previously stated

I ranged it at 109y, 201y and 330y. Must check it again next time I have the finder with me

Advertisement