Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open shoot in midlands.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I reckon bunny's Enfield would be a cracker for this. Brilliant fun too. Nothing faster than open sights for target acquisition. Red dot would be a perfect balance.

It did not do so good the last day :D

100 yards is 100yards

None of the low mag scopes did well last time round

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Are these targets at any range out to 300 yards? Jimmy griffin was saying I had to be there before 10:30.

Are these targets at any range out to 300 yards? Jimmy griffin was saying I had to be there before 10:30.

Sporting Target And Game Shoot - Sunday March 27th

Total amount of rounds required :: 16

Target? A herd of deer (approximately 7). One deer target only will become live for 3 seconds. There will be 5 to 10 seconds approx between exposed deer targets.

Course of fire :: One shot per exposed target. After 4 rounds fired. Stop with 3 minutes to reload. 4 more rounds and again one 1 shot per exposed target. After firing, the 8 shot detail. Another 8 shot detail will be allocated to you.

Categories :: There are two categories Rimfire and Centrefire. Any rifle, any sights. This is an open shooting competition.

Competitors, Fees & Registration
    All competitors must have proof of licence and Insurance. Competition fee €10.00. Registration at 10.00am. Competition commencement time 10.30am. Last Registration 11.30am SHARP.

Further Enquiries
    Contact JP at 0868232641 (jpcraven@eircom.net) or Jim Griffin at 0872613041 (grif@eircom.net).

Hope you enjoy this and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

We have to be there before 10:30 as the wind mill range is locked down after then for the details to commence.We shoot 100yard range only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I reckon bunny's Enfield would be a cracker for this. Brilliant fun too. Nothing faster than open sights for target acquisition. Red dot would be a perfect balance.

Open sights would be great for quick acquisition but not so great to put a bullet in the 10/x

It did not do so good the last day :D

100 yards is 100yards

None of the low mag scopes did well last time round

You need a power which will let you see all of the target and to be able make out the center of the target for maximum points.

You should stick your scope on 32X and let us know how it goes Tack :p

If you can make it you should come on down because it will be a great laugh and abit of fun. What else could be better than a shot and a laugh? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

dev110 wrote: »
    Open sights would be great for quick acquisition but not so great to put a bullet in the 10/x

If you can't get a shot off in time, that imaginary X isn't worth much. ;) I'd rather 8s and 9s in paper than rounds left in the box. Besides, you can be very, very accurate with open sights. My scope will be on minimum magnification, and if I had lower than 4x, I'd use it.

If you can't get a shot off in time, that imaginary X isn't worth much. ;) I'd rather 8s and 9s in paper than rounds left in the box. Besides, you can be very, very accurate with open sights. My scope will be on minimum magnification, and if I had lower than 4x, I'd use it.

Thats very true. I prefer your way of thinking :p
    I'm thinking of shooting on 10X but I will make the call when on the firing line. I'll use what ever power that gives me a view of all targets. might go on lowest of 6.5X either. I'm more used to that. I never use 20X only when zeroing.

You need a power which will let you see all of the target and to be able make out the center of the target for maximum points.

You should stick your scope on 32X and let us know how it goes Tack :p

32 takes 5-10 seconds to get on target @ any distance.
    I sometimes forget to dial it back down and kick myself when a sitter is not fired at because I am zoomed in too much.
    I notice @ night that my 5.5 is much quicker to pick up a target in the field.

Wish I had time to practice
    Very quiet here in work and yet I can't bail

Yeah, too much mag is a pain. I couldn't pick up a walking deer before it got to cover this year at about 90 yards because the scope was on 16x from checking shots during zeroing. Had I had it on 4-6x, I could have found her, stuck it on the point of her shoulder and dropped her easily enough. Even while zeroing, I only put it at 10x or 12x for shooting, tops. I shot some nice groups at 200 yards on 8x because the lack of visible movement allows for confident shot release. For hunting, I typically stick it on 6x, more for the boldness of the reticle (FFP scope) than the magnification itself.

32 takes 5-10 seconds to get on target @ any distance.
    I sometimes forget to dial it back down and kick myself when a sitter is not fired at because I am zoomed in too much.
    I notice @ night that my 5.5 is much quicker to pick up a target in the field.

Wish I had time to practice
    Very quiet here in work and yet I can't bail

Your sounding very hoarse there Tack maybe you should go home sick ;)
    Yeah, too much mag is a pain. I couldn't pick up a walking deer before it got to cover this year at about 90 yards because the scope was on 16x from checking shots during zeroing. Had I had it on 4-6x, I could have found her, stuck it on the point of her shoulder and dropped her easily enough. Even while zeroing, I only put it at 10x or 12x for shooting, tops. I shot some nice groups at 200 yards on 8x because the lack of visible movement allows for confident shot release. For hunting, I typically stick it on 6x, more for the boldness of the reticle (FFP scope) than the magnification itself.

I think most people have had problems with to high of mag maybe not on a deer but a fox/rabbit. Alot of people say 12X is the highest for ordinary shooting but when trying to shoot a rabbit at 300 yards more mag can come in handy.

• Advertisement

Your sounding very hoarse there Tack maybe you should go home sick ;)

I think most people have had problems with to high of mag maybe not on a deer but a fox/rabbit. Alot of people say 12X is the highest for ordinary shooting but when trying to shoot a rabbit at 300 yards more mag can come in handy.

It's something of an illusion, really. You're not looking to see the reticle on the target. You're looking to see a sight picture, an impression, that tells you the proper relationship exists. It's more accurate too. If I have a six inch round target at a hundred yards, I can stick it on 12x or 16x and try find the centre accurately, or I can drop to about 5x, make the crosshairs split the target evenly, and it's a lot easier to see. Same applies farther out, and since animals aren't small round aiming marks, sight picture is more useful than a precise aiming point. The late jwshooter shot a rabbit off the bonnet of a jeep at 705 yards, with a Nightforce whose top mag was 15x, and I think he said it was on 12x at the time. Try it. It's a different sort of way of aiming, but it's more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

All targets are at 100m AFAIK they were @100m last time out and talking to Ezridax on Friday thats where they will be this time as well. Just a tip it's 111yards realy.

BigFella come on down and enjoy the craic don't mind the bullsh!ters above they are only trying to put the wind up ya. If I can shoot it and do OK (some say not so :o) then so can everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

It's something of an illusion, really. You're not looking to see the reticle on the target. You're looking to see a sight picture, an impression, .................

blar blar blar nag nag nag

.................................the bonnet of a jeep at 705 yards, with a Nightforce whose top mag was 15x, and I think he said it was on 12x at the time. Try it. It's a different sort of way of aiming, but it's more accurate.

Well I have another scope to try out this time 8-32x44 on the rimfire and I have it zeroed in so you's all bet'a watch out this time round.

CJ's got his eye on the top prizes again (like last time :()

It's something of an illusion, really. You're not looking to see the reticle on the target. You're looking to see a sight picture, an impression, that tells you the proper relationship exists. It's more accurate too. If I have a six inch round target at a hundred yards, I can stick it on 12x or 16x and try find the centre accurately, or I can drop to about 5x, make the crosshairs split the target evenly, and it's a lot easier to see. Same applies farther out, and since animals aren't small round aiming marks, sight picture is more useful than a precise aiming point. The late jwshooter shot a rabbit off the bonnet of a jeep at 705 yards, with a Nightforce whose top mag was 15x, and I think he said it was on 12x at the time. Try it. It's a different sort of way of aiming, but it's more accurate.

I know what you mean but I can't find a way of explaining it. I find it way easier to shoot at my lowest mag which is 6.5x rather than the highest 20x. I find that shooting a rabbit at 200 yards on 6.5x very easy as you aim in the general area because at that distance the center of the cross hair could be equal to a square of 1inch squared (^2) but at 20x it could be centimeters.

But when you need perfect shot placement at 200 yards for a head shot on a bunny you will more than likely turn up the mag abit as it will give a bigger target and less room to miss the target. At 20x I find my heartbeat throws the crosshairs off to much so thats why I shoot lower down the scale.

This morning I put 5 shots in an inch circle at 100 yards on 10x but if it was on 20x I could have done better as I was just aiming at a general spot on 10x but if I was on 20x I could see a specific spot every time.

I think we could keep going on this all day but I think its mostly down to shooters choice and what they are happy with. I know Tack likes to use high mag when the situation arises that he has time to do so and become relaxed where I wouldn't change it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    MNSCI Sporting/Hunting Rifle Shoot

All shots will be from the prone position at 100yds.
    clivej wrote: »
    All targets are at 100m AFAIK they were @100m last time out and talking to Ezridax on Friday thats where they will be this time as well. Just a tip it's 111yards realy.

BigFella come on down and enjoy the craic don't mind the bullsh!ters above they are only trying to put the wind up ya. If I can shoot it and do OK (some say not so :o) then so can everyone.

Now who's trying to put the wind up him? :D
    Just trying to throw off big fella so you will have more chance this time :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

clivej wrote: »
    BunnyShooter try and bring something that shoots straight this time will ya, or at least shoots where you aim it. And no not the shotgun. :p:p:p

If I make it I'll be using .303 with battle sights ;)

If I make it I'll be using .303 with battle sights ;)

What about the .204?? :p

What about the .204?? :p

It's illegal to shoot deer with a .204 :p

Glad to hear it bunny. You should clean up now! ;)

Damn what am I going to do? All I have is the .223. Mind sharing? :D

• Advertisement

Glad to hear it bunny. You should clean up now! ;)

Not sure about the clean up part :(
    Damn what am I going to do? All I have is the .223. Mind sharing? :D

I'll share ;)

Horses for courses

Prone, very low power mag is no addition.
    As you are almost centred on the target zone anyway.

i always shoot static on 32, but in low light I have to drop back.
    I shot the fox during the week @8x as Parralax is simpler then, and she was moving through Rushes.

All head shots I shoot are 32x, especially out past 200 yards.
    However, Most rabbits give at least a few seconds to aquire a shot so field of view is not an issue.
    I like to be able to see the Impact in the scope.

Tomorrow involves times exposures, and pressure from onlookers (I don't know which is worse :D )

As JW is not here we can not argue about 750 yard bunnies off a bonnet on 12x
    I only started shooting well after I got scopes that I could see the target.

Should be fun tomorrow, hope to see all my fellow Board'ers there!

I'm using my .223 Bunny
    Love to see your REMINGTON .204 in action.

Bunny's Enfield is one of the nicer examples floating around, dev. You'll enjoy it. Lovely gun to shoot.

I'm using my .223 Bunny
    Love to see your REMINGTON .204 in action.

Still not happy with the scope position and zero :rolleyes: Needs more work before I unleash it :D
    Bunny's Enfield is one of the nicer examples floating around, dev. You'll enjoy it. Lovely gun to shoot.

Cheers IWM she is a beauty alright.

And just to confirm, I will be there :cool:

Anyone who don't know me come say hello :) Tac we must have a chat too, you seemed to avoiding me last day :(

Still not happy with the scope position and zero :rolleyes: Needs more work before I unleash it :D

Anyone who don't know me come say hello :)

Still plenty of light which means plenty of time to zero and fix up :p

Good stuff. Will have a natter then. Not sure you've seen my Sako in the flesh yet, fully tricked out. Will have it along tomorrow in any case.

Anyone who don't know me come say hello :) Tac we must have a chat too, you seemed to avoiding me last day :(

Bunny
    I tried several times to talk to you, you were avoiding me!

What's wrong with the scope?

Bunny
    I tried several times to talk to you, you were avoiding me!

:eek: Sorry if I came across that way, but I wasn't avoiding ya :( We'll have a chat tomorrow .................... no hugs or stuff though :p
    What's wrong with the scope?

Leupold VX III and eye relief is a bugger to get right :rolleyes:

But when I do I love it :cool:

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Will have a natter then. Not sure you've seen my Sako in the flesh yet, fully tricked out. Will have it along tomorrow in any case.

No I haven't..............love Sako's I do :cool:

I'll bring a cloth for the drool :D

Advertisement