Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMA driveway whitening

• 17-03-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

So I got a new driveway put down about 6 months ago , and shortly afterwards I noticed it starting to whitening in one area. Lat me fill you in with a few datails for the bigger picture:
    the house is built in a hollow so when it rains there can be water flowing both down the drive way and if its really heavy possibly off the grass.
    There is a gully put in but the water doesnt flow around into it , the kerbs and gully were put in by a different company , I do know they took alot of levels . This was all in place about 3 weeks before the driveway was laid . Ive said this to the guy who laid the driveway and his reply was " ah sure in fairness it rained an awful lot " the water never flowed to the gully at all. Now the whitening appears to be located where the water has sat . There is no damage at all to the driveway except its gone completely white. Now he does want to get to the bottom of whats the cause as well . Has anyone seen this before? I'll try to post up a few pics.
    thanks
    Sean
    jidr38.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 faroutthere

wow, 9 months later and nobody on here has no opinion????? Not like Boards! Lol
    I got it repainted and now the white is starting to come back through the paint again.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It looks to me like the ponded water reacted with the oil in the tarmac which remained on top of the tar when the water soaked away. But that's just a guess from looking at it.

you could be onto something there Tom , yes indeed water did sit there for a while (less than 24hours if I remember correctly) Any other ideas to get rid of it? I cant keep blackening it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just an idea, you could try on a corner of it.

Some wash up liquid in water and a mid rough brush, just concentrate on a corner. If it works then a power washer with a similar detergent might do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It looks to me like the ponded water reacted with the oil in the tarmac which remained on top of the tar when the water soaked away. But that's just a guess from looking at it.
    Could well be that alright.

From the pic its evident that water of some type had lay on the tarmac and its impossible to say whether, as PUT said, it interacted with the tarmac oil or the water was contaminated with a particular substance that basically stained the tarmac. Lime could well have been the ingredient but its hard to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

As muffler said above Lime, .
    Lime in the ground may be seeping down across the kerb and its reacting with the SMA.
    It is SMA yes?
    Are you sure the kerbs are not dusty to touch as well, if they are you may need to clean them and bond them this could be your prob.

Yep its SMA, no dust on the kerbs but they had only gone in about a month or so before the tarmac was layed and we had very heavy rain shortly after that which pooled . Its now appearing through the tarmac paint . I take it its gonna be a loosing battle with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nicolas_Bandon

Yep its SMA, no dust on the kerbs but they had only gone in about a month or so before the tarmac was layed and we had very heavy rain shortly after that which pooled . Its now appearing through the tarmac paint . I take it its gonna be a loosing battle with this one

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue withy SMA driveway. How did you remove these stains?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement