Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Slates on house

• 17-03-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

How do people clean slates on their house? Even to freshen them up in colour and make them dark again? Is it possible to buy a product or how do people clean them rather than them getting dull over the years?????

Also, I have two dormer windows on roof of my house and have noticed that at edge of each of them, there seems to be some marks leaking down on to the slates, probably lead!

Thanks again for all the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Depending on how bad they are, you have only one of 2 options.

Powerwash them, and or paint them with a special slate paint. (which aint cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

I am a roofer, lookin for work too. :) if you would like a free quotation then pm me and we'll take a look. Let you know what your options are. Clondalkin dublin here.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Slates will weather over time and cleaning them "or painting" is a pure wast of time, effort and money. As long as they are keeping the rain out of the roof they are doing just fine.

The only time you would even consider cleaning the slates is if there was a serious build up of moss which eventually clogs up gutters but this is not your situation.

As for the streaks coming down the side of the dormer this is natural staining from dirt in the atmosphere running down from the valley and again just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Antiquo wrote: »
    Slates will weather over time and cleaning them "or painting" is a pure wast of time, effort and money. As long as they are keeping the rain out of the roof they are doing just fine.

The only time you would even consider cleaning the slates is if there was a serious build up of moss which eventually clogs up gutters but this is not your situation.

As for the streaks coming down the side of the dormer this is natural staining from dirt in the atmosphere running down from the valley and again just ignore it.
    Thats usually caused by the lead, no biggy.

Clondalkin in Dublin

Advertisement